Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

Default Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

I was thrilled to read that Don is receiving this award! It is richly deserved.

-------------------------------------------

Henley lands MusiCares kudos for philanthropy

Eagles flies high with Person of the Year award

By PHIL GALLO

Don Henley will receive the 2007 MusiCares Person of the Year Award, the Recording Academy's honor for artists' philanthropic works.

Henley, both a founding member of the Eagles and a successful solo artist, will be feted for his professional achievements as well as his commitment to a range of philanthropic causes, from environmental issues to artists' rights concerns.

Gala dinner, concert and auction will be held Feb. 9 at the Los Angeles Convention Center two days prior to the 49th annual Grammy Awards ceremony. Proceeds from the event provide support for MusiCares' Financial Assistance Program, which assists musicians and others in times of financial, medical and personal need. The Recording Academy will make the announcement today.

In 1990, Henley founded the Walden Woods Project to lead the effort to preserve Walden Woods, the 2,680-acre ecological area surrounding Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond in Massachusetts. He also founded the Caddo Lake Institute in his native East Texas, a privately operating foundation to act as an "ecosystem-specific" sponsoring entity, underwriting local wetland science and conservation education, including cultural and ecological research and monitoring.

Henley also co-founded the Recording Artists' Coalition, a nonprofit group formed to represent the interests of recording artists with regard to legislative issues, and to address other public policy debates that come before the music industry.

Annual event is always heavily attended and features an array of superstar acts performing the honoree's music. Last year's event, honoring James Taylor, was the first to be released to DVD.

------------------------------------------------

(Oh, to be able to attend that ceremony next February!!)

Stuck on the Border

Default Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

Yes, it's richly deserved.

I feel I should point out, however, that Glenn does a lot of charity work too, but because he is more 'quiet' about it he doesn't receive these honours.

Default Re: Don to be honored as MusiCares Person of the Year

I agree, every one of the Eagles have been very generous with their time and talents to benefit many different causes.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think this is a great honor for Don. One of the best things that Don has done for the charities he works with is to lend his name to give them the visibility they need. The more the public knows about something like Walden Woods, the more money will be raised. I can't think of anyone more deserving.

While I think I think it is admirable to sometimes be a 'quiet' giver, I sometimes wish Glenn would use the same approach to bring more visibility to his causes.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

Terrific that Don's been honored!

~

Ok, Santa, THIS is the VIP package I want to find under my Christmas tree this year:

GRAMMY Charity Online Auctions — an exclusive array of celebrity-signed music and entertainment memorabilia as well as VIP Experiences available now through Dec. 7 at www.ebay.com/grammy, presented in partnership with Kompolt. All proceeds raised through this special auction will benefit programs and services of the MusiCares and GRAMMY Foundations. Featured items include:

· An ultimate 49th GRAMMY® Awards VIP Experience package for two including Platinum-level seating, post celebration passes, rehearsal and backstage production tour passes, tickets to the GRAMMY Nominees Reception, tickets to the MusiCares Person of the Year Tribute to Don Henley, hotel accommodations for four nights and two Frédéric Fekkai & Co. gift certificates for a haircut, facial and makeup

Dang! Now wouldn't THAT be nice! And you even get the salon treatment so you can look your best for Don!

~

I know!

I can't wait to see how much that package goes for!

If only I had married a millionaire....oh, well, in my next life....

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow! I want that, too! But I won't get it either, Dana! Darn!

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

Congratulations to Don, and I also acknowledge the part Eagles fans paid to this with their donations. Sounds a good prize!

~~~

This way to happiness...