Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: True or False - Did Joe have a stroke?

Default True or False - Did Joe have a stroke?

Can someone please tell me whether it's true or not that Joe had a stroke and that's why he talks the way he does, not that I mind. This is something I heard off of youtube.

Default Re: True or False?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Can someone please tell me whether it's true or not that Joe had a stroke and that's why he talks the way he does, not that I mind. This is something I heard off of youtube.
    First off EagleLady, it is not you toward whom I have my ire up over this. Please understand that. Whether true or not, I AM upset with whomever it was who stated or implied something like that. Since it is something that I, who have read everything I could get my hands on about Joe and listened to every interview I could get my hands on for a period covering almost 40 years, have never heard mention of, I have to presume that if it is true it is something that Joe must have prefered to keep private for whatever reason. If not true, then it is a pretty cruel thing to plaster on the Internet.

Having a stroke is not something that has derogatory connotation associated with it (at least in my mind anyway).

Obviously Joe's ability to play a guitar and sing and compose has not been impacted. I never gave much thought to the way Joe speaks. Shoot, I'm from Arkansas originally and have never lost my hillbilly twang. Joe speaks a HELL of a lot better than I do!

But I do know that Joe has a "character" he slips into that has resulted in him being declared the "Clown Prince of Rock". That manner of speech you sometimes hear when he slips into that character is not the same as his manner of speech when in private conversations. To this I can attest based on conversion with Joe during the M&G in Chicago several years ago. Joe very much has a stage persona that is not Joe the ordinary average guy!

More on the "Clown" routine: When Joe is asked stupid questions during interviews or questions that he thinks exceed the boundaries of what he is willing to reveal of his personal life, or when he is very uncomfortable with a question, he slides into that "Clown Mode" to divert the question and in that mode, he comes across as pretty naive bordering on simpletondom (hows that for a word? <LOL>!) Believe me, Joe is anything but a Simpleton. I wonder if that is what the YouTube clip was referring to?

On the other hand, Joe keeps his personal life very private and if he did have a stroke, might consider that something that is not pertinent to reveal to his public unless it in some way could benefit someone.

He has certainly not been secretive about his recovery from addiction and that would have been something that I would think would have been more likely a condition to attempt to "keep secret" than having had a stroke.

Again, I restate that I do not know whether or not he has suffered such an affliction but have myself never heard anything about it.

I'm tempted to ask the URL to the YouTube clip and refer it to Smokey or Becca for them to take whatever action they might deem appropriate (i.e. pass it on to Joe or Irving). If untrue, well, then all I can say is that it was done in very bad taste and could be intended to do the subject of the clip no good. If true, then I'd say it was a violation of his privacy.
    Last edited by MikeA; 10-04-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Because I cain't spill worht a dnag!

MikeA

Ok. Thank you.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I dont think I've ever heard that either and as far as I can tell, he sounds and talks pretty much the same as he always has *G* he's got a pretty high voice anyway, and a serious midwest accent. He's really smart, but the way he talks is pretty deceptive. Listen to that podcast Soda posted under JOE'S ENGAGED! and you'll see its really not as pronounced as it seems.

Thanks you guys.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

yr welcome

Wow, Joe was born in Tornado Alley

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Wow, Joe was born in Tornado Alley

Yep, right here in Wichita <smile>. But though he was born here and still has relatives living here (along with his grandmother's house which he has donated to a foundation that gives assistance to women in need) his mother and father moved (taking Joe with them <LOL>) when Joe was very young.

Can't remember where they moved to right off hand. I think it might have been New Jersey and then to New York. Don't quote me on that. Like I've said elsewhere, I'm an old Fart and memory ain't what it once was!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Yep, right here in Wichita <smile>. But though he was born here and still has relatives living here (along with his grandmother's house which he has donated to a foundation that gives assistance to women in need) his mother and father moved (taking Joe with them <LOL>) when Joe was very young.

Can't remember where they moved to right off hand. I think it might have been New Jersey and then to New York. Don't quote me on that. Like I've said elsewhere, I'm an old Fart and memory ain't what it once was!

Hey, that's ok. You don't need no rocking chair yet

You got me thinking EagleLady, and I seemed to remember a quite humorous document that I came up with at some point in time. I scrounged around and found it and will type it up and place it in the Memorabilia thread. It is entitled "Media Information, Joe Walsh". It is authentic (whatever that means when it comes to Joe Walsh!)

MikeA