Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I still don't get why they think the Baby Boomers have money like that to spend. Not all of them do, especially my parents. But again my parents are the younger of the Baby Boomer generation and both still have not retired yet. So I guess it's more like how it is with Gen X and my generation/Millennials. And I for sure don't have the extra money especially still having not graduated college and looking for work again. So it is unfair for those of us who need our money for expenses and have to watch what we spend it on.
    Looking back I was in college in the 70s and working part time saving my paychecks to buy concert tickets. There were alot of bands and solo artists touring the US especially in Southern and Northern California. I saw Janis Joplin, BB King, Jesse Colin Young, Quicksilver, Grateful Dead, Santana, J Geils, Creedence, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Eagles, Jefferson Starship, Big Brother, Beach Boys, etc. We piled into our own or a friends car and shared gas expenses. Most of us had special speakers installed in our cars (that was the thing back then) and how I survived being crammed into a VW with an 8 track player blasting I really don't know. Alot of colleges and state fairs hosted groups but there was also the infamous Cow Palace in SF which was a popular venue for bands. And of course Woodstock. And the Monterey Blues Festival. It was pretty unusual not to be going to a concert every Friday night and on weekends.

I am a Baby Boomer and don't like to see my generation exploited nevermind making it so hard for younger fans to see their favorite (or any) bands and artists. I am afraid we are past the point of no return when it comes to the Eagoes and other bands. If fans will pay ridiculous prices they aren't going to leave money on the table. Eagles, not Eagoes. Whoa. That was an uncanny typo.
    Last edited by Dawn; 12-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Wouldn’t this indicate that they just go off the demand by the fans and then set the prices? If we can agree on that then it basically boils down to a debate if people are ok with using the market to decide prices or if they should be kinder. That’s a more political question so I don’t think agreement is feasible
    I think it's more of an ethical decision than political. The Eagles more than likely leave those decisions to Irving, and it doesn't seem that he would worry about the average fan's ability to pay. If they can fill the seats at the higher prices, they will, which is certainly nothing new for them. I know ticket prices in past years seem a lot cheaper when we look back at them now, but it's all relative. I remember being put off by $40.00 for lawn seats at a local venue for the HFO tour. I had already paid to see Billy Joel and Elton John in concert together that year, and considered $40.00 a lot for that type of seat. (Kind of regret it now!)

UTW, that's a good point about the bucket list, or even those who have seen them might consider it the last chance to see them again. Which it very well could be. It's not the same, by any means, as seeing them with Glenn, but this is probably the last chance, or close to it, of seeing them in any iteration.

I also agree that not all baby boomers can afford the ticket prices. As a younger baby boomer, I wish I had some of this expendable income that people speak of. As it is, I was laid off from my job last March because of a workforce reduction, and only now have been able to finally get a job again.

I'm solid Gen X and can't afford them. And no one is giving any away, yet. Maybe closer to time.

Still and all, if you find a good price on StubHub, this is a bona fide link for a $100 gift card for $80, so with tickets being over $100 most places, you'll at least get a $20 discount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Get-a-100-S...rue&rmvSB=true

We will publish this deal on my company's website. It says limited quantities available, so if you're interested, probably better head on over and get one.

P.S. This is the best deal we've seen at my company for a $100 Stubhub GC in at least 2 years.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Looking back I was in college in the 70s and working part time saving my paychecks to buy concert tickets. There were alot of bands and solo artists touring the US especially in Southern and Northern California. I saw Janis Joplin, BB King, Jesse Colin Young, Quicksilver, Grateful Dead, Santana, J Geils, Creedence, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Eagles, Jefferson Starship, Big Brother, Beach Boys, etc. We piled into our own or a friends car and shared gas expenses. Most of us had special speakers installed in our cars (that was the thing back then) and how I survived being crammed into a VW with an 8 track player blasting I really don't know. Alot of colleges and state fairs hosted groups but there was also the infamous Cow Palace in SF which was a popular venue for bands. And of course Woodstock. And the Monterey Blues Festival. It was pretty unusual not to be going to a concert every Friday night and on weekends.
    I may have said this before Dawn, but I'd love to hear about your concert experiences back in the day. Maybe we could have a dedicated thread in the Cheap Talk and Wine where folks can recount their tales of concerts past.

OT: Did you ever see The Doors or were they before your time?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I may have said this before Dawn, but I'd love to hear about your concert experiences back in the day. Maybe we could have a dedicated thread in the Cheap Talk and Wine where folks can recount their tales of concerts past.

OT: Did you ever see The Doors or were they before your time?
    Yes that would be fun! I am curious what bands other Borderers have seen esp any 60's-70's Motor City/Motown and Philly bands & artists like the Temps, 4 Tops, Sam & Dave, Harold & The Blue Notes, Spinners, etc.

No, never saw the Doors. Crying shame too!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Delilah - I paid $75.00 for my ticket for HFO. The top ticket price then was $100.00. I had first level mez. seats at the Spectrum in Philly. That was 1995. As I said earlier, the Eagles were among the first to usher in the crazy ticket prices and the press tore them apart for it.
    Sorry for misquoting you, NKIT. The Spectrum is no more, is that right?

There are some tours where the Eagles are along and do not have a opening act. I forget what those ticket prices are. As numerous people have d=said including myself, people are paying the high prices because they are afraid they may never get to see them if they don't do it now.
    Yes, you’re right about some of the concerts not having an opening act. These are the “Evening With the Eagles” shows that are in smaller venues and I assume the tickets are less expensive. I used the concert at the AT&T Stadium as an example b/c I believe it represents the high end on the ticket price scale.

Delilah - This is off topic but thanks for your updates on Bob's djing stint. It was greatly appreciated.
    Pippin - Don't give up hope. I think radio stations are giving away free tickets to the concerts. I know my local stations were for the East Concert.
    You’re very welcome, and I agree about Pippin—don’t give up, you never know what can happen.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    So it is unfair for those of us who need our money for expenses and have to watch what we spend it on.
    Unfair? I don't understand this. Can we agree that going to concerts is a luxury item and not a necessity?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

I am a Baby Boomer and don't like to see my generation exploited nevermind making it so hard for younger fans to see their favorite (or any) bands and artists.
    Exploited? Can we agree that concerts are a luxury, similar to a vacation or an expensive pair of shoes? There is no societal obligation for concerts to be affordable!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Unfair? I don't understand this. Can we agree that going to concerts is a luxury item and not a necessity?
    I can probably speak for a lot of us Millennials that we see it as a life experience and for us to be fans we'd like to be able to actually see the bands/singers we like. Thankfully those in the country and alt-rock genres get this, especially the ones in my own generation. It's just not fair to not be considerate for everyone.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Rebel

Well, let me add my 2 cents about the price of concert tickets for 2018 as compared with the 1970's. While some boomers may have more disposable income to spend on concert tickets now, back then concerts were a totally different animal. They were almost exclusively a kid's game. I was 16 when I first started going to concerts with my friends. My first concert was in 1975, the Eagles with Dan Fogelberg opening. The ticket price was $5.50 advance, $6.50 day of show. Cheap? Yes, but priced so teenagers could go to their local record store and pick them up. They were also festival seating, even though it was an indoor venue. Festival seating was the norm for certain venues at the time. There were no computers to keep track of seats back then and tickets were often sold at many different outlets, mostly record stores. And since there were no online purchases, no one could snatch up tickets within seconds. The extra dollar for day of show was sort of an incentive to try to sell the concert more quickly. As I said earlier, the concerts were truly a kid's game. Festival seating could be like a black Friday sale on steroids, not for adults. I'm sure there are exceptions to this of course, but the concerts I attended were filled with people my age, give or take a couple of years. That's why they were rowdy, fun filled, sometimes a little dangerous adventures. I would have looked at someone in their late 20s at the time as old, and not belonging there! Even though we talk about how young the Eagles were back then, most of us in the crowd were quite a bit younger than them. I just turned 59, a full 10 years younger than Glenn. And, to cap off this discussion of the high ticket prices, when I saw them in June of 1980 the ticket price was $12.50. Still cheap, but more than double of my first ticket!