Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

I'm too young to remember 9/11 but my prayers go out to everyone affected by the great tragedy. God bless America!
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

13 years ago today, so many lives were changed forever. Still proud to be an American. We will never forget. So many heroes that day.

Reviving this thread again in memory of 9/11.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I didn't know that this thread existed or I would've posted this yesterday.

I was pretty young when 9/11 happened, 3 days away from my 6th birthday in fact. I actually remember that day. I wasn't at school; I was having my weekly physical therapy done. The therapists had the radio going, and an announcer came on, and told us of the tragedy. By that time, tv news crews were covering the story. Someone went and got a tv with the "rabbit ears" and managed to get our local NBC station in. Naturally, I didn't really understand what was happening and the magnitude of it all. I just knew that bad guys had done something bad. I remember watching the north tower fall. That memory was etched into my brain forever.

9/11 is what made my brother (then aged 14) decide to enlist in the Air Force after high school. He served 9 years, 2005-2014, before deciding to not reenlist.

NBC Nightly News shared this Thursday evening. A rainbow on the eve on the anniversary. A beautiful sight.

Here's to the over 3,000 people who lost their lives. Never forget.

(If anyone wants another hauntingly beautiful song about 9/11, that's rarely talked about, listen to Message from the Lost by Simon Kirke. (Drummer for Free/Bad Company). He lived and Manhattan, and volunteered to be a red cross driver for 6 weeks after 9/11. The song is about what he felt seeing the first family members, friends etc coming down to the site)
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 09-12-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That's such very moving picture. Thanks for posting it, AG95. I was going to post it if no one else beat me to it. I'm late in posting in this thread, but I did want to take the time to acknowledge the anniversary just because I feel it's important to do so. On Thursday morning, as I walked through the common gallery at work, I noticed that NBC was rebroadcasting the live coverage of the Today show that was airing at the time this happened. A number of co-workers were gathered around watching. Even though it is very painful to watch even 14 years later, I force myself to do it for a few minutes and on and off throughout the day whenever I passed through the gallery. I feel we need to be reminded of these kinds of events to maintain their relevance. Additionally, it provides a fresh perspective for the younger generation. Everyone of us in the free world are victims of those attacks to some extent. My heart goes out those families and friends who lost loved ones that day as they have to relive these events once again.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Beautiful photo, AG! Thanks for posting it! I saw it on tv too!

I watched a documentary on tv about the horrible event and it was very enlightening and heartwrenching. I'll never forget that day even though I didn't actually know anyone that was living in NYC, Washington DC or Shanksville at the time. A horrible day for our country. My heart goes out to all those lost and their families.

I got to tour the museum in the Freedom Tower last fall and it was a very humbling experience.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I felt compelled to share the photo. It's a good example of light after darkness, I think.

The documentaries really hit home and make you realize how horrible it was, especially the ones with the actual phone calls or transmissions from the planes. I felt sick the first time I watched onee. I couldn't imagine the horror. I couldn't imagine making the choice to jump to my death rather than burn alive.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I can't believe it's been 15 years already.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Something really struck me. Basically kids my age 17 and 18 our High School class is the last one to all be born before the attacks. It feels weird knowing that the Freshman-Juniors were all born after 9/11 or were just born.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That's a very good point, tm.

CNN is airing a special 15th anniversary show tonight that I want to watch. As I've said before, even though it's painful to relive this every year, I think it's really important that we do so. It must be especially painful for the victims survivors - it's both a blessing and a curse. I think we need to be reminded of these kinds of events to maintain their relevance and provide a fresh perspective for the younger generation. On the other hand, these families have to relive that day so publicly every year, which also must keep the pain so fresh for them. My heart goes out to them, and, deep down they must be grateful that their lost loved ones memory will live in infamy.

We must never forget.

ETA:

I thought I would repost this video that Soda make 5 years ago for those who may not go back and read this entire thread. I is very poignant and glad to see the link is still live ...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Here's something I've been working on all day - I'm still not completely happy with it, but I wanted to post it before the day is up. I took footage I found on YouTube of 9/11 and cobbled it together, underlaying it with "Hole in the World."

https://myspace.com/eaglesonlinecent...orld/108181358
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 09-11-2016 at 04:03 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016