Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Ten Song Shuffle Game

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: The Ten Song Shuffle Game

By coincidence, I did a shuffle of my Don H solo songs yesterday. This is what I got:

1. The Heart of the Matter
    2. Too Much Pride
    3. The Last Worthless Evening
    4. Too Far Gone
    5. I Will Not Go Quietly
    6. The Brand New Tennessee Waltz
    7. Gimme What You Got
    8. She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune
    9. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    10. The End of The Innocence

Two of my overall top three Don tracks came up again, and the same three that came up in the mixed Don/Eagles shuffle I did a while back. I couldn't believe my luck when the first song that played was THOTM! As my nominal favourite, it was always set for gold. It was silver for TEOTI this time around, with no Waiting In The Weeds to get in the way.

You may notice that for the first eight tracks there was an odd alternating sequence between songs from The End of the Innocence and Cass County. Unfortunately I can't say that I'm a big fan of any of the songs from CC that came up (actually just noticed that the four deluxe edition tracks all came up. That makes it even more bizarre!). ASWTDID has never really been one of my big favourites either, so that left the road clear for the excellent The Last Worthless Evening to take bronze, to complete an all-EOTI podium.

The high number of EOTI and CC tracks is partly down to the fact these are currently the only two Don solo albums I own in full. Beyond that I have Actual Miles and a few other tracks I've downloaded from his first two albums (none of these came up).

Stuck on the Border

For Mark Knopfler's birthday:

1. Yon Two Crows
    2. You Don't Know You're Born
    3. Marbletown (live)
    4. So Far Away (live)
    5. Going Home (Theme from Local Hero)
    6. No Can Do
    7. Wild Mountain Thyme
    8. I Used To Could (live)
    9. Vic & Ray
    10. Sailing To Philadelphia

That is not a list I would give to casual fans to introduce them to MK apart from Track 10. The live tracks all come from a show in Manchester (!) in June 2015.

10 songs from the iPod Shuffle

1. Hard On You - Rob Thomas
    2. Message in a Bottle - The Police
    3. Straight to Hell - The Clash - GOLD
    4. Disease - Matchbox Twenty
    5. Alpha - Vangelis - BRONZE
    6. Bent - Matchbox Twenty
    7. Hero - Frank Ocean + Mick Jones + Paul Simonon + Diplo
    8. Release - Pearl Jam (re-recorded for the film, Out of the Furnace)
    9. Houdini - Foster the People
    10. One of These Nights - Eagles - SILVER

Not my favorite list, but it has a few songs that I like a lot. I love the lyrics to Straight to Hell, but I don't necessarily agree with them. I just like the way that they were written and sung, and I like the drum beat and the strings.

Listening to Don sing One of These Nights live at his concert made me like the song more than I did before. It's fun and I like the falsetto at the 2nd half of it.

Alpha is an instrumental that I really like, since it makes viewing the night sky that much cooler. I tried watching the Perseids while listening to the song, but I missed the part where there was a whole bunch of them. If there was a lot of them, the song would've helped more. I just like how it goes from a few instruments to a lot towards the end.

I'm sorry that I have a Frank Ocean song in my iPod. It was a promotional song for Converse, I think, and I only got downloaded it for the two members of The Clash, which were Simonon and Jones.

Thought I'd try something a bit different with my next shuffle, which focusses on songs which I haven't played for a while.

I had the idea for this when I was listening to some Lynyrd Skynyrd and was playing The Needle and The Spoon. I think it's an excellent track and was thoroughly enjoying it and so I was surprised to discover that I had not actually listened to it since last autumn. I therefore thought it would be an interesting idea to do a shuffle playlist based around songs that I had not played recently.

To do this, I created a Smart Playlist in iTunes which I set it so that it included only songs that I had not played since 2015 (including songs that I hadn't played at all), and excluded live songs (I don't listen to live albums as often).

This meant that the playlist for this shuffle featured very little music by my usual favourites. Of the top of my head this meant there was:
    - Virtually nothing by the Eagles (nothing at all from the studio albums. I think LWKUA was the only song on there)
    - Virtually nothing by Pink Floyd (I've even found time to listen to some of my less favoured albums like More and Ummagumma), save for The Endless River
    - Virtually nothing by Dire Straits apart from certain tracks from On Every Street
    - Nothing by Led Zeppelin other than Coda
    - Nothing by Bob Dylan other than some tracks from Freewheelin'
    - Nothing at all by Don Henley or Joe Walsh
    - Nothing at all by Lynyrd Skynyrd, or by Mark Knopfler as a solo artist

So here are the ten tracks that came up:

1. Sum - Pink Floyd
    2. Eyes To Pearls - Pink Floyd
    3. Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance - Bob Dylan
    4. Strawberry Swing - Coldplay
    5. Surfer Girl - The Beach Boys
    6. T-Bone - Neil Young
    7. Where Do You Think You're Going (Alternate) - Dire Straits
    8. Lady Lynda - The Beach Boys
    9. Shiver - Coldplay
    10. Poor Tom - Led Zeppelin

Rather slim pickings here unfortunately, certainly nothing as good as The Needle and The Spoon which would easily have taken gold here, and nothing that really made me think 'how did I forget about that?'

Gold goes to Poor Tom, which is one of the better songs on Coda - John Bonham's drums alone lift it above several of the others, as does the quirky guitar riff. Shiver by Coldplay takes silver, which I think is one of their best songs. The version of Where Do You Think You're Going on Communique would probably have taken gold, but the alternate version (from the Money For Nothing compilation) isn't quite right, especially the guitar solo which isn't as strong or bold. I like the song enough to give it bronze though.

The two Endless River tracks are enjoyable but sound odd in isolation, especially the short Eyes To Pearls. Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance is probably the weakest song on The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. Of the two Beach Boys songs neither are particular favourites - I have to be in a certain place to enjoy Lady Lynda and it doesn't feature Brian Wilson IIRC. I should like Surfer Girl more than I do but I feel it drags a bit. I did consider putting the infamous T-Bone in my top three as despite its extremely repetitive nature I find it quite amusing, which is a stronger feeling than I have for several of the other songs here.

At long last, I've got round to doing an Eagles shuffle! I've always thought Glenn was absolutely correct in making Long Road Out Of Eden a double album after so many years so in tribute to this I played and listened to twenty songs, enough to create two usable lists. I have to say compared to the last few shuffles, I was spoilt for choice - lots of excellent tracks came up, but whereas with my Don H shuffle there were some favourites but also some songs that I'm not that crazy about, the overall standard was very high with several of my top favourites appearing.

Eagles Shuffle, Part 1
    The first ten songs to come up were:

1. Victim Of Love
    2. Tequila Sunrise (HFO Live)
    3. Pretty Maids All In A Row (HFO Live)
    4. Saturday Night
    5. Certain Kind Of Fool
    6. Wasted Time (Reprise)
    7. How Long (Live 1973)
    8. It's Your World Now
    9. Guilty of the Crime
    10. Fast Company

There's a few live versions in here, including the original 1973 version of How Long as well as two HFO tracks. If all songs had been in their original studio versions, I'd have given gold to Victim Of Love - Felder's intro was a great start to the shuffle - but I think the HFO version of Pretty Maids All In A Row is very special indeed. What was already an emotionally powerful song gains extra poignancy when you see/hear a sober Joe singing it as he made a new start in his life, and his additional slide work on the intro and outro is wonderful, so it gets gold with VOL taking silver.

I remember back when everyone else shuffled their Eagles songs and how Wasted Time (Reprise) kept coming up in everyone's playlists. Yet again it shows up! There were a few strong candidates for bronze. The 1973 version of How Long is great, but suffers slightly from the fact that Don's vocals on the second verse aren't very audible (otherwise it's just as good as the 2007 version). Tequila Sunrise is another favourite of mine but was unlucky that the HFO performance of PMAIAR (one of my absolute favourite Eagles performances ever) came up, making me less inclined to choose another live song in my top three. In the end I decided to give bronze to Certain Kind Of Fool. It's just an all round great track IMO, and I particularly love the story it tells, especially the verse about where the outlaw/rock star gets his first gun/guitar. Saturday Night is a beautiful song though and could have taken that spot on a different day. I also got three straight LROOE tracks, of which I'd say It's Your World Now, another song which has gained additional meaning, is the best, although I enjoy GOTC as well.

Eagles Shuffle, Part 2
    The second set of tracks was:

1. Bitter Creek
    2. Visions
    3. Last Good Time In Town
    4. Take It Easy
    5. Tequila Sunrise
    6. Learn To Be Still
    7. Already Gone
    8. Life In The Fast Lane
    9. The Girl From Yesterday
    10. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture

This one was even tougher! I think almost all of these songs are great. The only two I don't love are Visions and TGFY, and I can listen to both quite happily. All studio tracks this time around. Take It Easy is definitely amongst my all-time favourites, so it gets gold, and so are Already Gone and Life In The Fast Lane. There's very little to choose between those two IMO, so I just went with how I felt yesterday, meaning LITFL took silver and Already Gone got bronze. Tequila Sunrise was again unlucky just as the HFO version was in the first ten songs. In a different shuffle, I could easily have imagined giving gold to Bitter Creek, Last Good Time In Town (really enjoyed that one yesterday), Learn To Be Still (which my whole family loves) or Frail Grasp, but they all missed out as the competition was so intense.

One thing I noticed was that the shuffle was dominated by songs from Long Road Out Of Eden (5 tracks), Desperado, Hotel California and Hell Freezes Over (4 songs each). Interestingly this meant that songs from two post-reunion albums made up almost half the total, whereas Desperado was the only one of the first four albums to be represented by more than one song and there was nothing whatsoever from The Long Run. Another quirk is that I got nothing by Tim and more surprisingly none of Randy's tracks (unless you count Saturday Night), with only Bitter Creek for Bernie, but three of Joe's four Eagles songs appeared in some form (and the one that didn't was from TLR) and Don F's only lead vocal also came up.

Ooh, cool shuffle, JCL! For Part 1, I would've picked How Long (Live 1973) as my #1 b/c I like that song a lot. Your Part 2 shuffle is hard to pick, like you said. I like Visions, but not enough to trump your #3. Learn to Be Still and Already Gone are really hard to pick at #3 for me. My top 3 would ultimately be the same as yours for Part 2.

Anyways, iPod Shuffle shuffle!

1. Alison - Elvis Costello
    2. Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future Soundtrack (It says Marty McFly with the Starlighters, but M.J. Fox didn't sing or play guitar on it. Quoted from Wikipedia: "was recorded by Harry Waters, Jr. as Marvin Berry and Mark Campbell as Marty McFly, and the guitar solo by Tim May.")
    3. The Heat Is On - Glenn Frey Live
    4. One of These Nights - Eagles - BRONZE
    5. Burning Love - Elvis Presley
    6. Real World - Matchbox 20
    7. Take It Easy - Eagles - SILVER
    8. Lost in the Supermarket - The Clash
    9. Song 2 - Blur
    10. The End of the Innocence - Don Henley - GOLD

Although The End of the Innocence and Take It Easy are different songs stylistically, I like both of them the same. It's more of a tie, but I just give the edge to Don b/c of the several interpretations of the lyrics. Take It Easy is a better song for running as long as my knee doesn't mess up, but it's a great driving song. For 3rd, I just love One of These Nights. It's the falsettos and the disco sound. My mom loved it at the Don concert, since she loves Earth, Wind, and Fire. She watched an infomercial to get her disco fix once.

Yeah, Part 2 of the Eagles shuffle was probably the strongest set of 10 songs I've had in any shuffle so far - I'd say I love eight of the ten songs, and looking back over the other random or artist specific I've done, nothing else can match that (I won't count the combined Don H/Eagles playlist I did for the journey to and from Don's gig, where I was picking from a playlist which I selected by myself and only featured songs I really like). Almost every one would have easily topped my weakest set of tracks, the 'haven't played in a long time' shuffle.

No new shuffle for me this time round, but there was one thing I said I'd do about six months ago and that was to pick my own top three from everyone else's Eagles shuffles. So here goes:

FP's list:
    1. Victim Of Love
    2. I Don't Want To Hear Any More (live in Sydney)
    3. Hole In The World
    4. Midnight Flyer
    5. Pretty Maids All In A Row
    6. Wasted Time (Reprise)
    7. King Of Hollywood
    8. I Dreamed There Was No War
    9. Out Of Control
    10. The Girl From Yesterday

I found this one easier than some of the others, as it doesn't contain as many of my top favourites as some of the other lists, my own included. I have the same top two, but the order is reversed as I think VOL edges the studio PMAIAR. King Of Hollywood takes bronze for me. If I was to give an honourable mention, I'd go for OOC.

Brooke's list:
    1. Visions
    2. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    3. Wasted Time (Reprise)
    4. Midnight Flyer
    5. The Last Resort
    6. Hotel California (HFO version)
    7. Saturday Night (Live)
    8. Take It To The Limit
    9. Tequila Sunrise (HFO)
    10. After the Thrill Is Gone

The Last Resort is one of my favourite songs of all-time so I have give that one gold. After this it is two from three of the HFO Hotel California, TITTL and ATTIG. I have to say ATTIG is probably my second favourite song on the OOTN album right now behind only the title track, and I've been enjoying that version of HC too recently, so TITTL is the one to miss out. Sorry Randy!

L101's list:
    1- After The Thrill Is Gone
    2 - Desperado
    3 - Wasted Time (Reprise)
    4 - One Of These Nights
    5 - Victim Of Love
    6 - No More Cloudy Days
    7 - Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
    8 - Witchy Woman
    9 - The Disco Strangler
    10 - Try And Love Again

This was probably the toughest of the three to choose from! There are a lot more big favourites of mine here than there are medal places here, there are seven that I could conceivably have chosen from this group. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) is another all-time favourite so I'll give gold to that one, and I think I'll hand silver and bronze to OOTN and Desperado respectively, partly because I really enjoyed both live.

One shuffle I do plan to do next month is Lynyrd Skynyrd - over the last couple of years I've always played one of their albums as close to the anniversary of the plane crash (20th October) as possible, back then I only had their first two albums but now I think I've got enough to have an interesting and varied mix.

For FP, I would've gave gold to KOH b/c it's my favorite song on TLR. Silver would've gone to VOL and Bronze would go to Midnight Flyer b/c I was surprised that I liked it, due to not being much of a banjo/country sound person. Actually, Pretty Maids and MF are almost tied for me, but I give the edge to the latter for surprising me when I first heard it several months ago.

For Brooke, Gold to The Last Resort, Silver to After the Thrill Is Gone, and Bronze to Take It to the Limit. It was cool to see and hear Don do The Last Resort live. I like ATTIG and TITTL almost the same, but I prefer Glenn and Don's vocals over Randy's. That's not to diss Randy at all, since oh boy, when he hits that high note. I just like ATTIG slightly better as a song.

For L101, yep, I agree that's a tough one to pick. For gold, OOTN and for silver, Witchy Woman. Bronze is hard to choose b/c there's Desperado, ATTIG, VOL, and The Disco Strangler (Just kidding about this). I'll give it to Desperado, since I like it when any Eagle sings it, with the exception of Don Felder if he ever has. On a side note, I can't stand Felder's use of live auto tune. Glenn, Don, and Joe can sing that song just fine.

Ok, here's my Starred Spotify 67 song shuffle (Yep, I know it's not a lot):

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Hugo Montenegro and His Orchestra - BRONZE
    Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart) - Ricky Nelson
    Nightingale - Eagles
    December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night) - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
    Johnny Strikes Up the Band - Warren Zevon
    Evil Woman - Electric Light Orchestra - SILVER
    All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix - GOLD
    In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
    She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
    Louie Louie - The Kingsmen

Oh boy, I need to add and update more songs to my Spotify playlist, since I haven't used Spotify much lately. I was almost going to pick just one favorite song for this shuffle.

I love Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower. The guitar is enough said, and it's a great motivation song for running faster for me. After hearing Evil Woman on an airport shuttle car's radio, I wanted to listen to it over and over again. I didn't know it was ELO at the time, and this was summer 2015. My bronze pick is just based on how much I like Ennio Morricone's scores for Sergio Leone's movies. I like Nightingale though, but not enough to edge out TG, TB, and TU.

Question: When you do an Eagles, Henley, your eventual Lynyrd Skynyrd or etc. shuffle, do you use your CDs/MP3s or do you use Spotify?

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    Question: When you do an Eagles, Henley, your eventual Lynyrd Skynyrd or etc. shuffle, do you use your CDs/MP3s or do you use Spotify?
    Apologies for not responding to this earlier - I always use MP3s, usually this is on my iPod although I can also do this on my computer as well. I don't use Spotify myself, although I'm familiar with how it works. The range of artists and number of albums on my iPod is probably quite small for the number of tracks I have, but a lot of the albums I own are complete - I tend to buy albums rather than individual tracks, and usually buy them on CD and then upload to my computer. (This explains why when I do the random shuffles, the same artists keep coming up, but usually not the same songs).

I tend to download albums in one of these three situations:
    - If they are by a band I quite like but not especially crazy about (e.g. The Allman Brothers)
    - If I have a number of other tracks on different albums (e.g. The End of the Innocence, where I have exactly half the songs on the Actual Miles CD)
    - If I consider it to be a 'low priority' release (e.g. Pink Floyd's soundtrack albums) - generally these are albums I like to have but rarely listen to.

I used to download most of my music (I didn't buy CDs regularly until about two years ago), and have since replaced most of my favourite downloaded albums on CD, including replacing my downloads of the first three Eagles albums plus TLR with the Studio Albums box set.

I'm sure I'd listening to Spotify if I gave it a go, but I'm not sure there would be any great point for me if I just used it to listen to music I already love by the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. which I already have on CD and MP3 format - to truly justify it I would probably end up using it for songs/artists that I like enough to want to listen to, but not enough to actually want to own it or listen to the full album.

Usually when I'm doing a shuffle, I just go to the artist and shuffle all their songs randomly. If I'm doing a completely random shuffle I just choose to shuffle all songs on my iPod or on my computer. On other occasions I have created smart playlists to create the pool of songs that I want, as with the one where it only came up with songs I hadn't played since last year. I'd also do for this example in case I wanted to do a Neil Young shuffle - my iTunes lists 'Neil Young' and 'Neil Young & Crazy Horse' as separate artists in my library so I would probably want to include songs by both in the shuffle rather than the two separately.

I listened to my Lynyrd Skynyrd songs on shuffle this morning in honour of the band to mark the anniversary of the plane crash and pay my respects to Ronnie, Steve and the others who lost their lives that day. I don't want to make this seem too serious, it is just a shuffle playlist after all. I guess I personally find it good to play their music around this time of year. So here's the ten songs that came up:

1. Georgia Peaches
    2. The Needle And The Spoon
    3. That Smell
    4. Mr. Banker
    5. Simple Man
    6. Railroad Song
    7. Things Goin' On
    8. Call Me The Breeze
    9. Down South Jukin'
    10. Whiskey Rock-A Roller

Pretty good list overall, I think. It's probably not quite as strong as say my second Eagles shuffle, but quite a lot of good stuff, and two of my top three songs by them came up here. I think Simple Man is my number one favourite Lynyrd Skynyrd song, so I gave gold to that, although That Smell is also one of their absolute best and a very close second. There were a couple of other songs which I think are strong candidates for the bronze medal, notably The Needle and The Spoon and Things Goin', but I ultimately went for Railroad Song, which is either my favourite or second favourite from Nuthin' Fancy (either that or Saturday Night Special). On All four of the albums I own are represented here - I got four songs from the Pronounced... era, including both of the unique (i.e. non-demo/alternate version) bonus tracks from the deluxe edition, and two songs from each of the other three albums I have, although in the case of Street Survivors the other song aside from That Smell is also from that album's deluxe edition.