Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

My leisure reading time has been reduced this semester. By the time I finish my required reading for both British and World Literature, I'm tired of reading. However, I'm currently reading Breaking the Da Vinci Code, Hollywood gothic : the tangled web of Dracula from novel to stage to screen, and I am not Spock by Leonard Nimoy.

I just completed Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew for Brit lit. I now have to read The Tamer Tamed by John Fletcher.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

NKIT: It was great!!! I've only read a couple of Grisham's books but it's one of my favorites of his now.

NMB: Yes, it's a fictional island in Florida but it sounds like some I've heard before.

I'm currently reading the 5th book in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series, "The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye" and loving it. It's been taken over by a new author but he's done a great job and it still feels like the same characters and how the series would've continued if the original author lived.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I am not Spock by Leonard Nimoy.
    Shoot, I didn't know Mr. Nimoy wrote an autobiography. I'm gonna check that out.

Buffy, is "Dragon Tattoo" very violent? I've gotten squeamish in my old age. I used to be able to watch horror movies and read true crime books but I tend to steer clear now.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

NMB, it varies depending on the books. The original trilogy did have more than the 2nd half, but they are all mystery/crime novels. Weird thing is I normally don't have a problem reading violent scenes but do watching it.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Has anyone read the Eagles FAQ: All That's Left To Know About Classic Rock's Superstars by Andrew Vaughn?

I was just reading a promotional intro and look who got a shout out!

"Online research reveals all kinds of valuable sources of information, from in-depth fan sites to casual bloggers and writers with captivating insights to industry movers and shakers like Bob Lefsetz. Thanks to Nancy and Lisa, who run two exemplary Eagles sites, EaglesFans.com and EaglesOnlineCentral.com. The information and passion they channel is simply awesome."

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

I'll certainly agree with the bolded part.

I'm sure we touched on the book in a few places but there wasn't a lot to say as it's pretty much a retread of what we already know.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Has anyone read the Eagles FAQ: All That's Left To Know About Classic Rock's Superstars by Andrew Vaughn?
    I was just reading a promotional intro and look who got a shout out!
    "Online research reveals all kinds of valuable sources of information, from in-depth fan sites to casual bloggers and writers with captivating insights to industry movers and shakers like Bob Lefsetz. Thanks to Nancy and Lisa, who run two exemplary Eagles sites, EaglesFans.com and EaglesOnlineCentral.com. The information and passion they channel is simply awesome."
    I read it. If you have read any other book then don't bother - it has the same rehashed info, some wrong, that the other books do. He has a book that he wrote about them that goes for something like $150.00. Needless to say I have never bought it, too much money for what is probably rehashed info from the book your talking about.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 12-13-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks UTW and NKIT. I agree with the bolded part too 😏 and appreciate your candid reviews.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I figured that I would revive this thread as I have just finished Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. I watched the show Dickensian (a British show that puts the characters of several Dickens novels in one London neighborhood) a while back, and decided to read Oliver Twist while on winter break. I found myself going back and forth on the book. Some parts were very good and others were much more boring. I also had trouble keeping up with the cast of characters and what was happening. I've read much worse, though. I know that book was written as a piece in a serial over a period of two years, and, I think that affects the flow somewhat.

I don't know what I'll read next. I have a few books on my ever-growing "to read" list that are piquing my interest. I have several books for an upcoming independent study class coming in the mail between now and Christmas. Once I get those in, I'll probably try to knock a few of them out.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I didn't even know this thread existed! This is awesome. I read all the time, and have a bad habit of getting a giant stack of library books when I usually have an even bigger stack of books I own that I have not read yet. However, now that thanks to the virus I can't go and browse the isles of the public libraries, I've been reading the books I have at home. I'm almost out of new books to read, so I'm going to have to start reading ones I've read before. I really hope the libraries open back up soon. I just recently finished To Kill a mockingbird and it was good, sad, but good. I'm currently reading Darkfall by Dean Koontz. I've read this before, but not in a very long time, so it's like a brand new story.