Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EAGLES AT NATIONWIDE ARENA, COLUMBUS, OHIO 3/5/14

Default Re: EAGLES AT NATIONWIDE ARENA, COLUMBUS, OHIO 3/5/14

My husband and I are retired. We saved while working for 30 years. Kids all grown up and gone. After parents died needed a hobby. So I thought what a perfect way to spend some of the money saved. We have had sooooo much fun doing this. With VIP tickets we have met and friended so many people again being retired I can be on the computer when tickets go on sale. Yes I have been in Eagles heaven since July. Now will be in a funk until they tour here again. I wish everyone could experience what we have the past months. The guys recognize us now. I love it!

Keith. I hope there are more tours dates later. Maybe next year. The guys are still red hot. You don't have that many artists who have been in the business for 30 or 40 years and still selling out arenas these days. Why give up a good thing. If you're still having fun, why stop. The guys seem to still enjoy touring.

l'm still looking forward to my first Eagles show one day. I had so many opportunities(3 opportunities close to me), but I couldn't make it happen.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I have learned with this tour that there is no such thing as a perfect seat, different seats are best to see different things. While on the 1st and 5th row of Joe's side, I couldn't see Don's face when he was on the drums, due to a cymbal. At this show I had one of the two best seats in the house for the Hotel California guitar duet, but could only see Don sing on the screen. Everything is a compromise. The cameraman also partly blocks your view for the first few songs, which happens to be my favorite part of the show. He did make nice by giving us folks behind him a pack of 5 guitar picks, one from every member + Bernie. Those are going in a shadow box with other souvenirs from this tour. I didn't miss much. I mainly had to lean forward or back depending on who was singing lead.
    Keith, it sounds like you had the same seat, more or less, that I did for the Raleigh show and I can tell you that while my view was nearly completely blocked for the first four songs or so, I never got any picks! The cameraman apologized ahead of time and that was about it. I was fine with it, I'd seen enough shows on this tour that I couldn't be too upset with it, and if I bent over at the waist and leaned sideways into the aisle I could see Don and part of Glenn. I felt bad for the lady beside me, though. She'd only seen them one other time and the front row seat was her treat to herself for getting through a nasty divorce. So, congrats on getting the picks out of the deal!

Obviously, I really hope they do more US dates. Don mentioned promoting his new album this fall, which I assume means a solo tour, but hopefully there will be some Eagles dates before they head elsewhere in the world. If nothing else, I'm sure the lure of MGM in Vegas will get them out and about for at least one show. I'm definitely suffering from severe PEW at the moment, and not feeling well on top of it makes it worse.

My friends all think I'm crazy for going to so many shows, especially when they are all the same. I've met so many people, here on the board and at the shows themselves, that travel from show to show, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this, and there are many people who understand my stance on this completely!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Keith. I hope there are more tours dates later. Maybe next year. The guys are still red hot. You don't have that many artists who have been in the business for 30 or 40 years and still selling out arenas these days. Why give up a good thing. If you're still having fun, why stop. The guys seem to still enjoy touring.

l'm still looking forward to my first Eagles show one day. I had so many opportunities(3 opportunities close to me), but I couldn't make it happen.
    I hope there are some more US dates and at least one works out for you. Although some seats are obviously better than others for seeing things with the naked eye, the huge projection screens make it a show worth watching for everyone. When they first hooked up with Azoff, they told him they needed to do some shows for Christmas money. Maybe that will happen again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Keith, it sounds like you had the same seat, more or less, that I did for the Raleigh show and I can tell you that while my view was nearly completely blocked for the first four songs or so, I never got any picks! The cameraman apologized ahead of time and that was about it. I was fine with it, I'd seen enough shows on this tour that I couldn't be too upset with it, and if I bent over at the waist and leaned sideways into the aisle I could see Don and part of Glenn. I felt bad for the lady beside me, though. She'd only seen them one other time and the front row seat was her treat to herself for getting through a nasty divorce. So, congrats on getting the picks out of the deal!

Obviously, I really hope they do more US dates. Don mentioned promoting his new album this fall, which I assume means a solo tour, but hopefully there will be some Eagles dates before they head elsewhere in the world. If nothing else, I'm sure the lure of MGM in Vegas will get them out and about for at least one show. I'm definitely suffering from severe PEW at the moment, and not feeling well on top of it makes it worse.

My friends all think I'm crazy for going to so many shows, especially when they are all the same. I've met so many people, here on the board and at the shows themselves, that travel from show to show, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this, and there are many people who understand my stance on this completely!
    If I were in the cameraman's shoes, I would always give out the picks, in hopes of smoothing out the situation. To a fan, those little pieces of plastic are worth hundreds of times what was paid for them originally.

A lady behind me said ,"Thank you Jesus!" when the cameraman finally moved. I laughed and she said, "You were thinking the same thing!" When he came back later, the lady next to me asked me to trip him! I guess the pick bribe didn't work as well for her as it did for me.

Thanks VK. A lot of your posts helped educate me in seat selection/purchase this tour. Hope you feel better and have many shows to come.

Quote Originally Posted by deb828 View Post
    This was my first Eagles concert, and it was magnificent! The guys still seemed a little ill, but it was only evident in their speaking voices--their singing voices were awesome! They gave 100% at this concert! I loved the second half, when they seemed to really kick into gear. And finally, there was a center screen visible from our seats, which were in the second row about midway from the stage (in the first half, there were only 2 tiny screens in the corners, which were behind us). I took my 17 year old with me, and he really started to enjoy the concert in the second half; he was laughing so hard at Joe's antics, especially the hatcam. Don was free of the goatee, which I loved. We had a great view of the stage, and they looked fantastic. Someone in the front row said something to Don when he was out front, and he said something like, "my dear, we hardly know each other..." Glenn told the plaintiff joke, which the audience loved, also some jokes about Detroit which were funnier. I thought the videos they played were entertaining, but I just wanted to look at them!

The only down side was that the audience would NOT get up on my side of the arena. Even at the end, they were stubbornly glued to their seats. I am very conscious of bothering other people, but I was just itching to stand up and MOVE! Finally, in the last 5 songs (except Desperado), I had to do it. It was starting to interfere seriously with my enjoyment of the concert. If they ever tour here again, I would go in a heartbeat, but I would have to sit in a seat where I could stand up in the second half!

I got to meet Cheryl from this board, and that was a great treat. Everyone on this board is so nice! I appreciate that she walked all the way around to arena to meet us--and snuck in a photo!
    Hi Deb. Glad you had a great time. You almost let me down with the Ohio weather, but you pulled through in the end! I hope they come your way again!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    So, I was in a small group of folks waiting for the doors to open for the VIP package, when I noticed a fellow wearing a shirt that read "I might be old, but I got to see all the good bands!". I remembered Don H. commenting on a shirt like that at the Oct. show in Nashville. He read the shirt for the crowd on stage and laughed. I asked the gentleman if he was at that show. Turns out that it was him. We had a laugh about that and I then met his lovely wife, who happens to be TimFan222 on this site. My wife was stuck at a conference in Myrtle Beach, so I was flying solo. I ended up hanging out with these two during the party and having a great time. Thanks B. and D., you are great folks!

I was really impressed with this venue. It's pleasing to the eye with a brick exterior, and access was smooth from all the nearby restaurants and hotels. If you ever end up in Columbus, check out the historic Flatiron bar & grill. It's walking distance from the arena and a neat experience.

The gods were very kind to me for the last few days. My wife and I were on row 11 in Raleigh, I was on row 5 in Cin., and I was front row for this show. I think working my way closer kept me from being completely blown away on the front row. I tried to live in the moment and fully enjoy the show, but it was still over way too soon! I was on Joe's side, 3 seats over from the center aisle. I was sitting right in front of Steuart, which for Hotel California alone was a lifetime experience. That 7 minute song seemed to be over in about 30 seconds!

It was fun being close enough to see interaction between the band members. Tim and Don seemed to be amused by, and discussed, a young lady in the 2nd or 3rd row, who repeatedly shouted her love for Joe, and waved her arms. It had to be distracting for him, almost to the point of being heckled. Glenn was not amused. He had already stated "I'm talking up here" when he was interrupted earlier. All he did was look at her and shake his head. As stated by others above, I did witness one pair of red panties land close to Joe.

I have learned with this tour that there is no such thing as a perfect seat, different seats are best to see different things. While on the 1st and 5th row of Joe's side, I couldn't see Don's face when he was on the drums, due to a cymbal. At this show I had one of the two best seats in the house for the Hotel California guitar duet, but could only see Don sing on the screen. Everything is a compromise. The cameraman also partly blocks your view for the first few songs, which happens to be my favorite part of the show. He did make nice by giving us folks behind him a pack of 5 guitar picks, one from every member + Bernie. Those are going in a shadow box with other souvenirs from this tour. I didn't miss much. I mainly had to lean forward or back depending on who was singing lead.

Now, after having had shows on the horizon since June, and now none, I've got to get some spring back in my step. The VIP host did stress that Columbus was not the end of the tour, but the end of one leg. Does this animal only have two legs, with the second being in Europe? Or, will there be later US dates. One fan expressed doubts about the tour ending in Europe. Hope springs!
    Glad you made it, and we locals really did control the weather--lol. Great that you got to see the interaction between band members in the front row--bet your wife was jealous! Hope to do that one day--if they tour in Ohio again (fingers crossed). Agree with you the Eagles put on a great show, but it went by in a flash!
    P.S. I think we posted these at the exact same time.

Sometimes it's hard to explain to people what the Eagles mean to people of a "certain age." To people my age (I'm 63), Eagles and James Taylor are like our generation's Sinatra - the best there is. We grew uo with them. Probably the same for 40s and 50s, too, and really cross generational. There was a family at the Cincinnati show - looked like grandparents, parents, and kids - who couldn't wait to get in. All chatting happily about the Eagles and the individual band members. Age range appeared to be from about 14 to 65, all of them fans.

That's why the Eagles have lasted so long, why they can still sell out 20,000+ venues. I'd venture to say they could still fill stadiums, although I'm not sure that would be as enjoyable as what I saw last Monday. Their music, their performances, are as polished and exciting as the day they first sat down together and said, "Let's start a band."

I truly hope this isn't their last hurrah...

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Quote Originally Posted by rick endres View Post
    Sometimes it's hard to explain to people what the Eagles mean to people of a "certain age." To people my age (I'm 63), Eagles and James Taylor are like our generation's Sinatra - the best there is. We grew uo with them. Probably the same for 40s and 50s, too, and really cross generational. There was a family at the Cincinnati show - looked like grandparents, parents, and kids - who couldn't wait to get in. All chatting happily about the Eagles and the individual band members. Age range appeared to be from about 14 to 65, all of them fans.

That's why the Eagles have lasted so long, why they can still sell out 20,000+ venues. I'd venture to say they could still fill stadiums, although I'm not sure that would be as enjoyable as what I saw last Monday. Their music, their performances, are as polished and exciting as the day they first sat down together and said, "Let's start a band."

I truly hope this isn't their last hurrah...
    Agree with you Rick! Great summation of why the Eagles have lasted. I took my 17 year old to this concert, and he was almost as excited as me. He loved Joe and the hatcam probably the best--Joe's antics appeal to all .

Out on the Border

Hi, I recently joined this site. My name is Caleb and I am 15 years old. I have seen 2 concerts.. both of which were the eagles. I recently saw them in Columbus Ohio. I had the time of my lie. The only thing I would have changed was the fact that they didn't play learn to be still.