Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: EAGLES AT NATIONWIDE ARENA, COLUMBUS, OHIO 3/5/14

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: EAGLES AT NATIONWIDE ARENA, COLUMBUS, OHIO 3/5/14

The excitement of our Ireland/UK/Europe brothers and sisters as their shows get closer will sustain us, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Review: http://thelantern.com/2014/03/review...ountain-youth/

MC, for the next couple of months we can talk about how awesome they'll be when they get to Europe.
    I like this review better than the Dispatch one above!

this is a nice review, admiring but not overly so and no particular bias towards any one bandmember

Border Desperado

Hi all
    I have been traveling for days now and had to reset my password I was kingston
    Who posted here since the fall and ended up just changing my user name as well
    I was at this show 4th row floor on Timothy's side all I can say panties and declarations of love really made this a memorable experience!
    So here we go --the guys looked and sounded great Glenn was still struggling with cold issues. They had boxes of tissues, bottles of water, lemons and what looked like throat spray all over the stage.
    Despite that they sounded fabulous from the first moment hubby and i saw Don step out on the stage he had this look and and you could tell he was ready to go.
    So the show starts and don introduces Bernie and comments he is wearing the same shirt he had on 38 years ago.
    So then don continues and says if you find a good shirt you stick with it. Bernie says yeah don I learned that from you!!
    Next up Glenn he says hello etc they sing train leaves here and the song ends Glenn is sitting there. With no guitar. He quips , we'll victor gave me cold medicine and forgot my guitar!,
    So victor comes back with the guitar and Glenn was like hey thanks victor!
    I saw this show last July show number six on this tour and it was like seeing a totally different show altogether. D
    The witchy woman re arrangement was awesome.
    The show was being filmed, three guys lying on the stage, crouching and some other equipment was scattered around d is I do think a DVD is in the works.
    Security. They were very nice. They told us no texting but we could photo with no flash as long as it was not constant or obvious and no filming with the smartphones.
    So back to Don, he looked super hot. He had this in charge look going on and boy it worked, his hair is taking on a much better style and he had stubble which was a much better look
    I am skipping a few things here but, a woman in the first row yelled I love you don and that was when.He said honey. You don't even know me.
    So then. He sang the long run and did the great intro about how it's a miracle they are all together at this point when a pair of magenta panties, hit right by the very front of the stage. Wow. Don also killed it on lift land joe and Glenn did this unbelievable guitar dueling during funk 49 and then joe took off during in the city . Timothy was like this cute little guy who just got the crowd going
    And kept touching Scott Crago I think to tease him I thought it was cute.
    So Timothy got to introduce Glenn and described him as a man of a thousand jokes !!
    Glenn introduced don as his long time friend - I thought that was awesome.
    I have to say it was just a great show I have more stuff on the whole experience but I am totally challenged with typing on an iPad so I apologize for the condition of the post I just couldn't wait to share

More observations to come

Out on the Border

My second Eagles show, first was 2009 here in Columbus, but at the Schott -- this was at Nationwide. The guys were great...obviously not feeling well, especially Glenn. You gotta hand it to them for being such professionals, they gave 110%. Loved the setlist, too. Starting with songs that are almost magical now to many of us in the early 50's age range, songs that we remember with such sweet innocence. It seems almost possible to recapture that youth and innocence. Anyway, it's nice to spend a few hours trying...

Now for a couple of "negatives", which I'm very curious to see if anyone else echoes. I was very happy when I heard the show was going to be at Nationwide this time, because I like that venue better from an aesthetic standpoint. We had great seats: Section 102, Row C. So 3 rows back from the floor, first section on the (Steuart Smith) side. So visually, it was fantastic. But...I don't know how else to say this: I thought for parts of the show, the sound sucked! Especially on the acoustic portion at the very beginning; it did seem to get better toward the middle-end, which may reflect more on the instrumentation (electric v acoustic). But at the beginning, the high-end on the voices made them sound so tinny, I could hardly believe it. It almost ruined the first part of the show for me -- the part I was looking forward to the most. Two observations: This may reflect the "good" seats we were in. I figure the sound must be mixed to be optimal to the guys at the sound board, in the back of arena floor. My guess is that it's as near-perfect as can be there, and everyone else gets the plus or minus based on their proximity to that location. A friend tells me that it is extremely difficult to mix sound in a building like that, because they're mainly just big boxes to hold lots of people, not built with acoustics foremost in mind. I figure that's probably true, and likely holds in this case. A band the stature of The Eagles is no doubt going to have the best. Second observation: It appeared to me they were using the "house" sound system, which I've seen done several times -- maybe most bands do that now. I didn't see any of the old "Marshall Stacks" like you used to see, and maybe that's passé now. BUT, I'd have to ask -- while it was plenty loud, does a sound system like that allow the professionals to mix the way they would like to, to achieve a sound they're happy with? Or do they just work with what they get? Anyone more knowledgeable on this topic, I would love to hear from.

Second negative: Obnoxious neighbors! Is it just my wife and me -- our luck? Or does everyone experience this because these folks are sprinkled randomly throughout the whole crowd? I'm not talking about people who approach a concert differently than I do (I love to sit, listen intently, observe, let the music wash over me....I know other people consider it more of a social event and like to talk and laugh, etc.). Even the guy next to us who had to get up and go to the bathroom a couple of times ("can't hold it like I used to!") -- that's OK, we didn't mind -- he seemed like an OK sort, was generally polite, may have intruded on personal space a bit when dancing on a couple of songs -- that's OK, too, we didn't care at all. But some of the folks behind us were unbelievable. (While Henley is talking about Randy Meisner): "Yap, yap, yap, yap, yap.......what'd he say? I missed it!" Well, yeah, you missed it because you were running your mouth non-stop. "Yap, yap, yap, yap, yap...Oh, my God! Oh, my God! Oh, my God!!!" "Do you love this song? I LOVE this song!!" "Yap, yap, yap..." At this point, I have to ask: Why did you spend $200 a ticket to sit there and run your trap all night? And why do the rest of us have to listen to your nonsense? I missed several things the band said because of this obnoxious yapping. Needless to say, alcohol intensified the effect. Best line of the night: Henley says, "We recorded this song in Miami in 1978..." Guy behind immediately yells out: "Hotel California!" That was one of many...but it never seemed to occur that he got many of them wrong, he continued to call them out with confidence.

Just curious about these two things. Doesn't change the fact it was a great show!!

Love these reviews!

Leroy - sorry about those lame people near you. Obnoxious folks are at every show, sadly! A pity about the sound - glad it improved.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

GREAT reviews everyone! I love the different perspectives of the concert but of course the one constant is they were AMAZING! I'm so happy everyone had a fabulous time except for the yapping neighbors. I have had that happen a couple of times Leroy. I just can't believe that people can be so insensitive not just to the people around them but to the entertainer. Oh well.

So...my favorite Glenn joke Monday night in Cincinnati was, "Detroit, the city that gave us Ted Nugent...and won't take him back."

Loved it.

Did he use that one?

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by rick endres View Post
    So...my favorite Glenn joke Monday night in Cincinnati was, "Detroit, the city that gave us Ted Nugent...and won't take him back."

Loved it.

Did he use that one?
    Yes, indeed.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I believe he has used that joke at every stop on this tour. Before the Houston show I wondered if he would use it & sure enough he did NOT!