Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Philips Arena, Atlanta 2/24/14

Default Philips Arena, Atlanta 2/24/14

Here is the review & pictures from the Atlanta Journal. Best one I've seen in a while.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs...hon-show-atla/
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Out on the Border

Default Re: Philips Arena, Atlanta 2/24/14

thanks so much for the review!! sounds like it was a great show even though frey and henley weren't feeling their best. i saw them the night before in N.O. and they were fantastic. Henley believed they caught "the bug" in New orleans, something to do with the humidity..... that band is unbelievable!! great sports, great harmonizers and great musicians, each and every one of them!! i love reading the newspaper reviews. tnks again for posting it!!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great review but I don't want to hear from Don himself that this might be the end of the road. I can't even imagine!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Glad to oblige, NOB. Someone usually gets there before me so I was surprised to see it hadn't been posted yet. I, too, always look forward to the reviews from each show and will scour the newspapers online for news. No mention of twerking in Atlanta!!! But this was, by far, THE most positive review I've read in quite some time. She is obviously a fan.

As for the guys, it's disheartening to hear that they're fighting whatever bug they've picked up. But I must say that I'm surprised - but so happy -it doesn't happen more often. The way they bounce from place to place while touring and the things they must be exposed to presents a unique challenge for their health. Over the years we've seldom heard THEM comment about being under the weather! I guess like everyone else, as they get older they find themselves more prone to these things. And if the humidity was as high in NOLO as they've alluded, I have no doubt it's like a breeding ground for any number of things. Don was probably most likely to pick something up since he had to deal with the cedar issue in Texas so his system was probably weaker. Thankfully there has been no mention of Timothy and/or Joe. They've done four cities in six days, four distinct climates combine with the travel, which is apparently taking a toll. Prayers that Don and Glenn are well on the road to recovery.

Looking forward to checking in later and finding posts from the folks who were at the show.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Out on the Border

The show was amazing last night, I'll post more tonight after work.

Quote Originally Posted by new orlwans baby View Post
    i saw them the night before in N.O. and they were fantastic. Henley believed they caught "the bug" in New orleans, something to do with the humidity.....
    Actually, I thought he said he said it was nice to play in a place with a little humidity, not that they caught the bug there. Perhaps I misheard.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Great review but I don't want to hear from Don himself that this might be the end of the road. I can't even imagine!
    I know. That comment depressed me!

PJ - can't wait to hear your review!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

MMm Don is still clean shaving and I love the colorful plaid shirt.

Out on the Border

Let me just state before I even get started, I am the worst at putting pen to paper. That being said, I have been visiting this site for almost a year and have left only a few comments, but I truly love reading of your about all of your experiences with the band. So this concert was the second time I've seen the Eagles in concert, the first being nearly 35 years ago in Atlanta in 1979. There's not a lot I can remember, partly because our seats were nearly behind the stage and nearly to rafters in what was then the Omni, I don't think we actually even saw their faces, but it was the 70's.

So on to last nights show, I decided since this was probably my last chance to see the Eagles live I was going for the best seats possible. I ended up purchasing front row VIP seats, dead center in front of Glenn with Timothy just a few feet to my left. We were shown to our seats and had a friendly conversation with our resident security guy, who sat face to face with us the entire show. He was very nice and informed us of all the rules for the evening. Same rules as I have read here for all the other shows. Everyone seemed to be respectfully of their requests and behaved the entire show, I only saw a few people get called out for taking pictures. Don did mention that this was possibly their last show together in Atlanta so we should just put down the devices and enjoy the show. Basically I had no choice since I forgot my cell phone at home (big mistake, but my son did bring his). The set list seemed the same, but there's no way I could have kept tract since I couldn't take my eyes from TBS once he walked onto the stage, it's amazing the eye to eye contact you get standing no more than 6 to 10 feet away. I was totally captivated. I wonder how weird it must be for them to stand so close to people that are staring at them for three hours.

While it was still just DH and GF on the stage, Glenn stated that they had been passing a cold between them and that he and Bernie were right in the middle of theirs. All the jokes were the same as I've seen stated here before, expect there was one about Ted Nugent (I can't remember exactly) which didn't get a lot of laughs and Glenn said "the was supposed to be a joke". Ted's been pretty popular down here since the 70's. They all sounded great, Glenn was the only one I felt like was having a little trouble with his voice. Don sounded excellent, no problems at all and TBS was fabulous on his solos. The security guys were great, they all had a set list and basically explained which song we could stand in the first half and after Heartache Tonight in the second set we could stand the rest of the show. To be honest, I thought the rules were appropriate for those sitting so close. I only saw one person younger than my son who is about to turn 23, a young teen maybe 14 sitting with his parents one row behind us a few seats over. He was the only person in the audience that DH interacted with several times during the show. Two different times he was handed a set of drums sticks (the second time DH handed them to the boy himself) also security guards brought him several other small items, not sure what they were. At one point when DH finished singing a song he walked to edge of the stage and told the boy it was okay to take a picture. Just before the band came out for the last 3 songs a security guard came along the front row and told us we could take all the pictures we wanted during the last encore, just no flash. After the last song I told my son we weren't leaving until they made us. After the lights came up TBS and GF were walking from one end of the stage to the other waving, Glenn all of a sudden stopped directly in front of us, leaned over and asked the security guy to give me a pick. He waved and said something like thanks for coming. Not 30 seconds later TBS stopped in front of me, walked to the edge of the stage and stooped down to me and handed me a pick in a way as to make sure I didn't drop it. He must have seen the shock on my face and thought I would. He also said thanks for coming (this moment was obviously the highlight for me). I haven't mentioned JW, he was great, same as I've heard here before. My son is officially an Eagles fan now, he had a great time. He did get a few pictures, being so close is not great for getting pictures of the entire stage and band. I gave him the GF pick. The VIP goody bags was probably a wasted for him, I don't think the jacket is something he will wear, the jackets are being mailed to us.

Without a doubt it was a great show. Sorry for the rambling, I hope I've made so sense of the evening. I wish I knew how to post pictures here, I have posted a few on facebook.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the review. If you had Glenn say 'thanks for coming' to you I had that happen to me last year in Brisbane.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-25-2014 at 11:06 PM.