Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC - 2/28/14

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC - 2/28/14

Remembering more... When Glenn was talking the Beach Boys, he mentioned a band from the 60's, when he was 4. It got a good laugh.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks for the link, VOL. How adorable is this photo?

Is that a bandage on Glenn's hand?

It maybe tape. He's been using that on his left hand for a while. I guess so the guitar neck won't be hurting his left hand.

Thanks I thought it might be something like that.

VA, glad it was such a great show, but so sorry to hear about your health problems. Hope you ae feeling 'in the pink' for the next show.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    For Already Gone, the security in my section were trying to get everyone up and dancing and no one did. The one next to me, I was on the aisle, told me that if I stood up, everyone else would. I had to explain to him that I wasn't feeling well. He asked others to stand and no one would! Go figure.
    Interesting because I was reading a review on another site and that person said they were in the 4th row and the security people were intimidating the crowd (over phones in particular) and even physically knocking phones out of people's hands. If that was happening I can imagine people would be reluctant to stand up. This person said that the rent a cops were so distracting and obnoxious it ruined the concert for her - and it made her wonder if the guys knew how bad it was out there.

Hmmm, I wonder where in the 4th row that person was sitting? At one point, one security dude came up to the one beside me and asked if there were problems with people using phones. He said, "No, none. Well, just the same one who won't stop. No others." The other guy nodded and said, "We'll take care of it." He then moved back and that would have been about the 4th row.

Once people started to file out there was a woman who came forward with the intent to talk to one of the crew and of course, she wasn't allowed to. She was going on and on about wanting them to understand that when you came to the South you were expected to be hospitable. She told the security guy that he needed to tell 'them' that. I wasn't sure what or even who she was talking about, but she was looking at the stage, and she wasn't happy. I left before I heard more.

After the show, as I was plastered all over a table trying to rest up from the trip up the stairs, a woman came after a security manager. She actually grabbed a hold of him and he had to tell her not to touch him. She was crying and I couldn't hear all she said, but I did hear that she'd been texting with her husband. She complained about getting thrown out and he said, "Ma'am, you weren't thrown out." She asked him to explain to her what she'd done that was wrong. I couldn't hear his answer, but she said there was nothing wrong with texting someone. He said that they had warned her several times and it wasn't until after the fifth person complained about her texting that they had asked her to leave. She said there was nothing wrong with texting, no one should have complained, that no one had told her she couldn't. I couldn't help it, I turned to face her and my mouth dropped open. It was all over the place! Announcements, on the screens. It was said to me three times as I'd walked through the security line, and mentioned to me by security twice after sitting in my seat. She claimed she hadn't heard it or seen it from anyone, so of course at that point, he wasn't believing her. I left soon after.

Interesting note, I saw a tweet from the DC show last night that said a woman beside her had used her phone during the entire concert and ruined the concert for all those around her.

I think that since the guys have taken this route and gone to such lengths to say that it's not OK, people who find it annoying now feel they have a right to complain when it happens instead of having to put up with it.
    VK

There are always people pushing the limits and crying "no one told me!" when almost everyone else manages to get the message. But I do have to say when I went to the San Jose concert the two security guys in my section were extremely distracting. If someone reached into their pocket or purse they would move towards them to see what they were doing so they could pounce if they saw a phone. They moved around so much in my peripheral vision that I think I spent as much time watching them as I did the guys. It really did affect my enjoyment of the concert. I was really glad I got to see our boys but the goon-squad left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthyme View Post
    There are always people pushing the limits and crying "no one told me!" when almost everyone else manages to get the message. But I do have to say when I went to the San Jose concert the two security guys in my section were extremely distracting. If someone reached into their pocket or purse they would move towards them to see what they were doing so they could pounce if they saw a phone. They moved around so much in my peripheral vision that I think I spent as much time watching them as I did the guys. It really did affect my enjoyment of the concert. I was really glad I got to see our boys but the goon-squad left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Yes, it was distracting in LA, too. Of course, at the Indy concert, I was distracted by people standing when no one else was and the people behind them complaining, and then getting into a fight over it. Also the guy in front of me that kept complaining the guy in front of him was smoking. I have no idea why they didn't tell the man it was an e-cig, all he saw was the smoke. In Raleigh they don't allow e-cigs, either! Anyway, I think it's a losing battle no matter what! At least if the rules are clear and enforced, I think most people follow them. It's just uncomfortable when you're near one who thinks the rules don't apply to them.
    VK

I'm backtracking a little here, since there have been a few shows since this one, but I wanted to comment. Of the shows I attended this tour, this was probably my favorite. My wife and I managed to schedule this show together, and get seats on row 11, which were miles closer than we had been before.

I have never experienced a venue location like this one. It's surrounded by pine forest, to the point that you can drive by and not even know an arena is sitting there. The founder of the Walden Woods Foundation might even approve. We had to drive around to see if there was a marquee. Luckily yes, a big electronic one with EAGLES in big letters, great for a few pictures. A nice thing of the past I guess, missing from some venues. A lady actually stopped and asked us for directions to the arena when we were walking one block away. After we gave her rock-solid directions, we still watched her drive right by it. There is also a super-convenient restaurant and hotel right across the street. Our view out of the back windows of the hotel? More pine forest. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Perfect for anyone who prefers a more rural-like environment.

The show was great! We were on Tim's side, so there were none of the view obstructions that exist on Joe's side (cameraman, cymbals). There was some confusion with seats in front of us which briefly blocked my view at the beginning (and my favorite part) of the show. I think some folks get sections 1 and 3 confused because it varies between venues.

I'm always impressed by how much effort Glenn appears to put into the performance. Those facial expressions just seem like he's giving it all he's got. My favorite line from the show (other than lyrics) was from Bernie during Train, "The Reverend Glenn Frey on the electrified guitar".

For me, the biggest surprise/disappointment on this tour was the absence of 7 Bridges from the set-list. It's my favorite, and arguably best displays their might as a vocal band. But I can't complain.

Phenomenal.