Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unknown (song)facts

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Default Unknown (song)facts

Has it ever occurred to anyone else that you are completely into a certain song and want to learn more about it, but internet has nothing to offer? I have this with Learn to be Still, and Last Good Time in Town in particular…

So what do I want with this thread? Good question. It could become a place where everyone shares interesting but barely known information. About the two songs mentioned above for example, to start with.

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Unknown (song)facts

Welcome to the Border! I think this is a brilliant idea for a thread. The timing is quite fortunate because I was listening to Long Road Out Of Eden this week and most of those songs are - outside this board, there is almost no discussion for any of these songs.

There are also a handful of songs from the 1970s albums which I think do not get the level of discussion they deserve - I'd be interested to know more about some of the deeper tracks from Desperado and On The Border especially. Good Day In Hell for instance I think is a showstopper and an essential part of the OTB album (although I know plenty disagree!) yet outside the board there is almost no discussion of the song itself (if it is mentioned, at best it will be to mention that it was Felder's debut as an Eagle, at worst it will be condemned as 'satanic'). I'd also love to know more about King of Hollywood - the writing process and arrangement, but especially who was playing what with the rhythm guitar parts.

I haven't got any facts about the two songs you specifically mention, unfortunately, although you may be interested to know my whole family adores Learn To Be Still. There are many songs we all like, but there are very few songs we all agree on loving, and LTBS is one of them. Last Good Time In Town is also one of my favourites on LROOE, it is great fun yet offers charm and warmth. I love the chorus (great combination of lyrics and harmony) as well as Joe's guitar work.

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Thanks for welcoming me, I'm happy to be here! Interesting, Good Day In Hell is a song that I've only started to like recently (which is quite odd) while King of Hollywood has always been one of my favorites, it's so deep and brings me in some kind of dark mood. Well this one is more commonly known, who plays which guitar solo for example. Learn to be Still... it's good that this song isn't as hazy as HC for example, so we still know what the song is about, it has a great message. I see Last Good Time In Town as the Joe equivalent of LROOE, as it's as damn long and great but instead of discussing the Iraq War it's about staying at home and doing the crosswords

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Stuck on the Border

This was in Henley's recent commentary on the studio albums:
    "Good Day in Hell" was Glenn's little tribute to Danny Whitten and Gram Parsons. It's also another one of our running commentaries on the perils of the music business and the lifestyle that often comes with it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz4CPzV7BsK

Danny Witten was in Crazy Horse, wrote "I don't want to talk about it" (a hit for Rod Stewart), and was one of the people whose death inspired Neil Young's "The needle and the damage done".

Move in, can't you see she wants you
    She has you deep in her eyes
    You been wonderin' why she haunts you
    Beauty in the devil's disguise
    She can tell you all about it
    She sees it in the stars
    She'll burn you if you try to put her down

Oh well, it's been a good day in hell
    And tomorrow I'll be glory bound

Higher, she can keep you loaded
    Feedin' you whiskey and wine
    Fire, the devil's on the phone
    He laughs and says you're doin' just fine
    In that big book of names
    I wanna go down in flames
    Seein's how I'm goin' down

Truckin', that's all that I've been doin'
    Every girl's a fork in the road
    Stuck in some sticky situations
    Feelin' like I wanna explode
    All this gratification
    And sick conversation
    Someone get me out of town

Going by Don's comments, it seems that "she" is the music business/musician lifestyle, rather than a troublesome woman. Gram Parsons OD'd after trying to get clean and Witten died from a combination of Valium and alcohol after trying to give up heroin so maybe "She'll burn you if you try to put her down" refers to that.

Stuck on the Border

I hate to post a comment that offers nothing, but I just have to say that this is a fantastic idea for a thread.

Out on the Border Jeremy Lawrence's Avatar

Great idea, I love the reason behind the songs. We all know the "Take It Easy" Jackson Browne story.

Also, love how they came up with band names.

However, not a good sign if you cant' find it on the internet somewhere.
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author
    "Already Gone: a Novel"
    http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

OOTN originally had an intro piece consisting of just group harmony and piano which sounds nothing like the rest of the song

TITTL and VOL, in their earlier recorded versions, contained first verses whose lyrics were completely different

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    OOTN originally had an intro piece consisting of just group harmony and piano which sounds nothing like the rest of the song
    Have you heard it?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Have you heard it?
    yes I have

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I hope I'm not putting you on the spot, but... are you Bill Szymczyk?