Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Album cover matches best which Eagle?

Default Which Album cover matches best which Eagle?

I was wondering what an all Randy album of Eagles songs would have on the cover when then i thought, which Eagles Album cover best represents a particular member of the band.

For example....

On The Border album cover to me best matches Bernie Leadon. Very westernish...

Desperado album cover i think is more Glenn Frey...especially in those early days.

So what album cover would Don Henley be? Im inclined to say the Long Run...since Henley is mysterious and dark. Or would that be Felder?

Who would be the HC cover? Walsh maybe for his infamous hotel adventures?

So whats your matchups?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Which Album cover matches best which Eagle?

To me, Don Henley would be Hotel California because he's a mysterious dude.

Randy looks perfectly at home in his cowboy gear on the Desperado cover, though one could also associate him with the wide-open western vista on the cover of the first album too.

Stuck on the Border

Eagles - Bernie
    Desperado - Glenn
    On The Border - Randy
    One Of These Nights - Felder
    Hotel California - Henley (he has a co-credit for art direction, after all & most of the album revolves around his lyrical concepts)
    The Long Run - Tim
    Long Road Out Of Eden - Joe

You could swap the last two around. Sadly as that is all there is to choose from, that is it really.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-01-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

This is an interesting exercise. My first thought when trying to establish a list was that it would be a good idea to eliminate the albums which I think match certain members least well. For instance, Don Henley's least suitable album cover to me is the self-titled Eagles LP. Partly because the blue sky on the cover reflects its sense of carefree optimism - not words I'd use to describe much of Don's later music, Eagles work included! Also, it's the album he's least prominent on as a singer and even more so as a writer. Don could have any of the other albums, although I'd suggest that HC, Desperado, LROOE and The Long Run are perhaps more suitable for him than On The Border or One Of These Nights.

Similarly, of the albums Bernie appeared on, I think the One Of These Nights cover is the least suitable for him. To me, he should go with either the On The Border cover, or preferably the debut album cover. Desperado would be okay, but I concur in thinking that the outlaw theme suits the young Glenn a lot better.

Glenn is an interesting one, as there are several that suit him quite well I think. The only ones that I would not say suit him particularly are HC and LROOE (partly because both images, to my mind, are strongly associated with Henley lyrics). Eagles isn't quite right for him either IMO, but any of Desperado, OTB or OOTN would all suit him quite well I think, but I agree with Desperado - it describes the rebellious side of his character, especially at that stage of his life.

Randy needs one of the earlier ones, although I think any of the first four would be fine for him - Hotel California by contrast I think doesn't really suit him. Don Felder can have any of the three albums he was a permanent member for. It is tempting to give him Hotel California, as that album contains what he considers to be his signature song, but ultimately thee cover feels too much like Henley's imagery.

I have to disagree with FP here as I would definitely give LROOE to Tim. My reasoning for this is somewhat influenced by the music - I felt Tim contributed a lot more on LROOE, whereas on The Long Run apart from ICTYW he was 'just' the bass player and harmony singer. If I was to attempt to justify this without bringing the music into it, I'd say that the photo of the desert on the LROOE cover is more appropriate for country rock Tim than for hard/blues rocker Joe.

This appears to leave Joe with The Long Run. This is fine - he is a huge part of what makes that album great IMO - yet in some ways it seems odd for him to take such a minimalist album cover. In all honesty, I don't think any of the Eagles album covers are ideal for Joe, and therefore I would nominate But Seriously, Folks, where the artwork sums up his zany sense of humour. This is a bit sneaky, but I feel BSF is just about close enough to being an Eagles album to get away with. He can take The Long Run if this is absolutely essential, I just think BSF is much more quintessentially Joe. Now I think about it, I'll give The Long Run cover to Bill Szymczyk - he deserves a mention for having to oversee the protracted recording sessions!

So, in summary (my list is fairly similar to FP's except for the post-HC albums):
    Bernie - Eagles
    Glenn - Desperado
    Randy - On The Border
    Don F - One of These Nights
    Don H - Hotel California
    Joe - But Seriously Folks (The Long Run if it has to be strictly Eagles)
    Tim - Long Road Out Of Eden

and Bill Szymczyk - The Long Run (if Joe is allowed to have BSF).

Stuck on the Border

I think you're right & Tim should have LROOE.

Joe represented by the black dark cover of Long Run??

I dont think thats a good match. Unless you say Joe was dark or had a dark side. But on the surface Joe was the fun wacky guy that destroyed hotel rooms...so to me he is Gets the Hc cover.

Also Remember its lessa bout whomsandg and wrote the songs and more about matching the artwork on the cover to one ofbthe band members.

Stuck on the Border

The cover of HC is emblematic of the songs which are about the state of California. It isn't literally about destroying hotel rooms. I suppose Henley could be represented by the Long Run cover but I think most people associate him with the imagery of HC. In my view the songs do come into it.

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Eagles = Randy. Barely started and already a dubious choice, I know, but I still choose him not because he shines the most on the album (although, he has three songs!) but because Randy seems happiest here, and most confident.
    Desperado = Bernie. Their most country album and of course because he’s peaking on Bitter Creek. Besides, the Wild Western theme fits him so well.
    On the Border = Glenn for me. Not only because of Already Gone and James Dean, but also because of Glenn’s desire to move towards a heavier sound.
    Hotel California = Don Henley. I’m not sure if there are any other options than Don here.
    The Long Run = Don Felder. On another thread I left a comment saying that their music got darker here, it gets more of a sound I would relate to Don F than anybody else. Some songs on this album also come the closest to his solo hits.
    Long Road Out Of Eden = Tim, even if Don or Glenn would be logical too. He’s got two songs on the album and reaches his full potential on several songs where he is singing background vocals.
    So far it’s all perfect to me, but then there’s One of These Nights left, while Joe wasn’t even in the band yet… I screwed up

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

I screwed up anyway, just now I see it's about album covers, but I thought this was more interesting

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Border Desperado

Did Joe make that firecracker remark just to be funny, or had people thrown firecrackers on stage in previous showed? JW