Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    My nomination for 'can't understand why everyone loves it so much' is... One of These Nights. The guitar solo is often times the only reason I listen to it. I don't actually think I've ever watched it fully through on the F1 or Washington '77 DVDs and can't off hand think of the last time I listened to it. Just never really clicked for me.

I have to say I feel the same way about the album too - ever since I've heard Randy's live versions I can't settle back into the studio version of TITTL, so literally the only two songs I actively listen to from it are Lyin' Eyes and ATTIG. HW is OK but Visions, JOTS, TMH, OOTN and IWYP largely do nothing for me.

(NB - IWYP is the first song I ever got in a request for on a national radio station - it was requests night and I emailed in 'Anything Eagles'. IWYP was their choice. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!)
    Wow! This is why I'm so glad I'm not them and have to put together a setlist. We're both avid fans or we wouldn't hang out on a message board, right? OOTN is my favorite and you don't like it at all! Hey, different tastes, different opinions is what keeps life interesting, right?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Wow! This is why I'm so glad I'm not them and have to put together a setlist. We're both avid fans or we wouldn't hang out on a message board, right? OOTN is my favorite and you don't like it at all! Hey, different tastes, different opinions is what keeps life interesting, right?
    Indeed. I can understand why people like it with the whole R&B fusion malarkey and the insanely high harmonies but it's endeared itself to me like most of their other work has. Still probably won't mind seeing it in concern, it would be a glaring omission! And yes, imagine how dull both here and life in general would be if we all liked and disliked the same things!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I find the melody of "The Last Resort" beautiful, but the last verse angered me so much that I didn't put it on my iPod until after I made these sites and I somehow felt this weird obligation to have every Eagles song on there, even "Disco Stranger." lol So interminably self-righteous and preachy.

I once joked that if you wanted to see the Eagles on Sunday morning back then, you'd probably find them unconscious on a floor surrounded by empty liquor bottles and traces of cocaine powder. Once they awoke, the only god they'd be worshiping would be made of porcelain; instead of standing up and singing, though, they'd be on their knees and puking.
    Somehow, I can see this scene perfectly! I do like The Last Resort, and think it's a beautiful song, but am annoyed at the Jesus reference part.

I'm with all of you on Teenage Jail and Disco Strangler. What were they thinking! Journey of the Sorcerer comes next.

And, please don't hurt me, I just cannot listen to I Love To Watch A Woman Dance! I can listen to the others listed above before I will listen to it! I know most of you love it, but I have never thought it should have been on the Long Road Out of Eden album. It's a Glenn solo song. Anyways, to me, it's embarrassing for me that Glenn actually recorded it! It is not on my ipod and if it plays on the cd, I must skip. Immediately! Sorry!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

Just thinking about it, all four songs new songs on HFO were fairly uninspiring:
    GOI has a great message but is too far removed from their usual style for me to think really love it;
    LWKUA is just no;
    LTBS has some decent classic Henley lyrics but it meanders along and is generally, like LWKUA, musically dull;
    TGFY is awful. The chorus harmony 'She doesn't know what's right...' is the only redeeming feature of the entire thing.

Remember guys, as per Brooke, be accepting and don't hate me!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Somehow, I can see this scene perfectly! I do like The Last Resort, and think it's a beautiful song, but am annoyed at the Jesus reference part.

I'm with all of you on Teenage Jail and Disco Strangler. What were they thinking! Journey of the Sorcerer comes next.

And, please don't hurt me, I just cannot listen to I Love To Watch A Woman Dance! I can listen to the others listed above before I will listen to it! I know most of you love it, but I have never thought it should have been on the Long Road Out of Eden album. It's a Glenn solo song. Anyways, to me, it's embarrassing for me that Glenn actually recorded it! It is not on my ipod and if it plays on the cd, I must skip. Immediately! Sorry!
    I was wondering when someone would mention ILTWAWD.

For me there are two dispensable tracks on LROOE; Fast Company & Guilty Of The Crime. I Don't Want To Hear Any More has grown on me.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Agree with FP about I Don't Want to Hear Anymore. At first I was like, "Uhhh...not an Eagles song, maybe could be on a TBS album." But it does grow on you, so I was just looking it up and found a video I have never seen. Ashamed to say I didn't know they played it live. I'll put the video in the right thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NUc7KvB40c

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I've said many times that there is NO Eagles song that I hate or even strongly dislike. I really mean that - none of them make my ears bleed. However, there are, obviously, some that I like more than others. My top five least favorites would probably be the following in this order ...

1) Disco Stranger
    2) Earlybird
    3) Take the Devil
    4) Tryin'
    5) Teenage Jail

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

This is where I expose myself by saying that "Hotel California" is amongst my least favourite Eagles songs. I didn't like it much when it was released because I didn't like the "reggae" part. It seemed like it was almost a spoof of that kind of music, without the wit of 10CC's "Dreadlock Holiday". I hadn't realised it had been so successful until last year - I'd assumed it was a very minor offering in their catalogue. I was in the UK where the Eagles were never that big and by the late seventies, punk rock and new wave were the kinds of music that were making waves. I just don't hear what's so great about it and I start to get annoyed when people attribute so much of the band's success to it, discounting the many successes they had prior to its release.

I'm also not keen on Visions because it's clunky and just doesn't sound like an Eagles song. I'd pick "I Wish You Peace", "Journey of the Sorceror", "Most of Us Are Sad" and "Tryin'" over it any day.

I listened to "Take the Devil" last night and I still really like it. It gave Randy a chance to sing in his normal range rather than just the high notes and the bit where he gets progressively higher on the word "mind" (starting about 2:23 into the song) is awesome. I also love the beat, the bass and the lead guitar on the the song.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

UTW, while HC has never been a favorite of mine either, it's probably for different reasons! I could never relate to the song and I usually could to their earlier hits. It also suffered from serious overplay on the radio and I got a little tired of hearing it. However, seeing them live so often over the last few years, I'll say that watching Joe play his part at the end is simply spectacular.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

To me HC is their defining song. I totally don't get the reggae reference but a lot of people do. To me it just sounds like raw rock n' roll. To me it is a guitar and rock n' roll anthem every bit as much as say "Stairway To Heaven", "Rock N' Roll All Nite". As good as the Eagles were vocally/lyrically they really were a guitar hero band to me and HC is a great example of that. To me, their guitar parts were every bit as good as their lyrics/vocals. The solos in HC are by far the most complex Eagles solos and are the highlight of the song. That said I definitely relate to the lyrics a lot and they saved my life. I relate to the lyrics far more than any other Eagles song. Simply put, they wouldn't be anywhere close to where they are today without the addition of Joe Walsh, and the release of that album.... It turned a successful country-rock group into a rock n' roll supergroup with waaaay more success.

If I love a song, I could listen to it 10 times a day and never burn out on it. Overplay has never been an issue with songs I love. On the reverse if I don't like a song - one time of listening is plenty.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 06-01-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."