Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

Yes, there are still times when I'm offended by the song. While every lyric sheet I've ever seen has a comma after the word 'Jesus', when singing it sounds like he's saying 'Jesus People bought them.' Combined with the last verse, I've always wondered. It seems to me that it starts out with more or less implying all humans are responsible for the destruction of nice places, but by the end, the patronizing use of the word 'they', it seems only those who worship on Sunday mornings are responsible for the 'rape of the land'. Puh-leeze.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for this song. The good news is, I can't think of another band that only has two songs I feel the need to skip over. Most have at least two that I skip over on greatest hits albums alone!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado

Actually, I have a few

The Last Resort -
    The Girl from yesterday
    Teenage jail

They are a three way tie for my least favorite.

I also like the newly arranged version of ww far better than the original.

My least favorite is The Disco Strangler, does it even have a melody? I don't even like the guitar riff, there is nothing I like about it. Not even Don's voice can save it, in fact the way he sings it is creepy.
    ~Sara

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

The church and Jesus references in TLR don't bother me. It's the totality of the preachiness and political self-righteousness. It's like a caricature of an environmentalist. It's just too earnest and serious and pompous and cynical. I'm surprised critics like it.

No More Walks in the Woods is a hokey concept, but I could listen to the four of them singing in harmony all day, no matter what the lyrics are, so I don't mind that one as much as if it were only one of the guys singing it.

Yeah, for me the gorgeous vocals save NMWITW as well. The melody just kind of meanders along, but they sound great.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I figure, they were mid to late 20's when they wrote it (The Last Resort), and they probably knew of specific people in specific instances that gave them the ideas they had. It's unfair for them to paint everyone with that same brush, but given their youth and inexperience it can be forgiven. I was surprised last night that they picked that song to sing for the HFO concert. I guess it went with the MTV Unplugged vibe, but really, they didn't play LE or OOTN or countless other hits and chose that for their first show back. I'm completely baffled unless as men in their mid to late forties, they still believed the words of the song. I had my finger on the fast forward button at least three times before deciding I had to make myself sit through it at least once. As someone who is a 'Jesus People' and worships on Sunday mornings, it kinda hurts to be thought about in that way by a few guys I admire and respect.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I'm one that loves The Last Resort. I understand why some may say it is preachy and makes them uncomfortable, but the melody, music, vocals, and, yes, even the insightful lyrics overcome that for me. I happen to believe there is a lot of truth to it and that it was ahead of it's time in 1976 in terms of its environmental message and about man's tendency to destroy nature.

As far as some of the other songs that have been mentioned, I also really like Ol' 55, Try and Love Again, Please Come Home for Christmas, The Long Run, Love Will Keep Us Alive, and Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

Disco Strangler also gets my vote for least favorite, but since it's on so many other lists, I'd also include Earlybird and Take the Devil on my list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well I'm one that loves The Last Resort. I understand why some may say it is preachy and makes them uncomfortable, but the melody, music, vocals, and, yes, even the insightful lyrics overcome that for me. I happen to believe there is a lot of truth to it and that it was ahead of it's time in 1976 in terms of its environmental message and about man's tendency to destroy nature.

As far as some of the other songs that have been mentioned, I also really like Ol' 55, Try and Love Again, Please Come Home for Christmas, The Long Run, Love Will Keep Us Alive, and Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

Disco Strangler also gets my vote for least favorite, but since it's on so many other lists, I'd also include Earlybird and Take the Devil on my list.
    Agree with you on everything re: TLR. Also, as far as I know none of the guys were / are staunch atheists or anti-religion so I wouldn't necessarily believe they said what they did maliciously - I expect at times they also had some kind of relationship or connection with Christianity. The way I kinda read it is he's saying that people go to church on Sunday and thank God for his mercy and blessings yet they either as individuals or a collective watch or partake in the destruction of the life sources and beauty they have been given. (My apologies if that offends any Christians on here, it's genuinely not meant to and is just the way I read it and I think Henley would come down on it.)

I'll also agree on Earlybird. The lyrics are a tad weird and the damn tweeting noises are a pain. Take the Devil is one of the more meh songs the guys did, but I really love the first half or so. Randy's voice was in finer form as it was when he did TITTL for me.

Stuck on the Border

I have always agreed with the majority of the message of The Last Resort but I can see why Christians have a problem with it. I won't go any further than that except as TLR said, perhaps they should focus more on the protest against the destruction of the environment than on the railing against Christians. (VA, I don't agree that 'Jesus, people' sounds like 'Jesus people'. You can hear the slight pause).

My main problem with it now, musically, is that if we hadn't already got the message about how dominant Henley is on that album, we get one more 'Henley Dominates This Song Apart From the Piano' just to remind us that HC is Don Henley's Album. He was at his peak in terms of writing lyrics, I know, but it was taken too far.

Perhaps we should have another thread about songs we are sick of. I have a couple which I alluded to in my previous post. This could include solo songs. Of course we could also have 'least favourite song' solo threads too.

It's probably "Disco Strangler" for me too although Teenage Jail is a close second.

Unlike most, I dig Funky New Year and The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."