Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Banned

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I hadn't heard "Born to Boogie" before. It's on spotify as part of the collected works. Is it too late to change my vote for worst Eagles song ever? I think I prefer 'He Broke His Toe' to 'Born to Boogie'.
    I made a mini-disc (remember those?) of the Soul Pole highlights, I think the first track was Under Arrest. I'm not sure if Born To Boogie made the cut. He Broke His Toe, probably did.
    Born To Boogie, according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...2%E2%80%931999, is a Hank Williams Jnr track. I thought they just made it up.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I made a mini-disc (remember those?) of the Soul Pole highlights, I think the first track was Under Arrest. I'm not sure if Born To Boogie made the cut. He Broke His Toe, probably did.
    Born To Boogie, according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...2%E2%80%931999, is a Hank Williams Jnr track. I thought they just made it up.
    I haven't heard the Soul Pole 'highlights', though I guess the bits and pieces on the box set are from them.

Searching on youtube didn't help either. I did find this video claiming that the Eagles are satanists, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhqCGtPkyk

Stuck on the Border

Wikipedia is wrong. The Hank Williams Jr song is different.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMILaTCOT8[/ame]
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-04-2016 at 09:36 PM.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Wikipedia is wrong. The Hank Williams Jr song is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMILaTCOT8
    Yes, you don't have to listen very far into the song to realise that it's completely different from the Eagles track and unlike the Eagles song, the Hank Williams Jr song is not a novelty song - it was the title track of one of his albums and went to number 1 on the country charts, whereas Born To Boogie was only included on one compilation album. The lyrics are completely different. However, the biggest giveaway is that the latter song was released in 1987 - given that the Eagles track was an outtake from The Long Run, it cannot possibly the same song. In fact, you only have to click on the link to Born To Boogie from the Selected Works page to find this anachronism.

Regarding the Selected Works Wikipedia page, I have had a look back through the previous revisions over the last six months or so. Prior to 31 January thisy ear, no writer was cited for Born To Boogie when one user re-formatted the track listing section and incorrectly added that Hank Williams Jr wrote the track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=700871081

By contrast, the revision on 21 January this year with the previous track listing format does not credit a writer for Born To Boogie, only that it was a Long Run outtake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=700870639

I trust EOC more than I trust Wikipedia (which in fairness is usually a useful resource, the only problem is that misinformation can easily become widely quoted 'fact') and it credits the five members of The Long Run era line up as the writers of Born To Boogie:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...rntoboogie.htm

As for the Hank Williams Jr song, here's another performance of the song with Lynyrd Skynyrd from 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaIRdtI7XI

Banned

Thanks for the great detective work Freypower and Jonny Come Lately.

I checked the BMI and Ascap websites to get accurate songwriting info but I didn't find a mention for Born To Boogie.

Another Selected Works / Soul Pole track One Of These Nights Intro is credited to Henley. Frey, Felder, Walsh, Schmit, even though it was recorded before Joe and Tim joined Eagles.

Wikipedia has, more accurately but incorrectly, Glenn and Don as the songwriters.
    Can't argue with Felder's writing credit but I'm not surprised that he keeps quiet about it though.

I think the Soul Pole tracks, are credited to the 5 Eagles, circa 2000 when Selected Works was released, except Random Victims Part 3 which is also credited to Szymczyk, William Frank.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 06-26-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

TSSM, Born To Boogie is the illegitimate offspring that's chained up in the basement that nobody ever mentions
    That’s the only logical explanation

@Jonny Come Lately I knew Born to Boogie was kind of a joke. Just looking at how the song ends with how the pope should boogie as well as every grandmother… it’s GOT to be a joke. It’s just a fun song, but that doesn’t make it any better for me. In fact, I’m totally OK with having this as my worst Eagles song, rather than “disliking” a song that Don and Glenn would take seriously or even favor!

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

"Born to Boogie" is lame, but it's just a joke. If you want to count it as your least favorite song, feel free - but don't think it was a serious effort at quality music.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I dig Born To Boogie, in the sense that it isn't a serious song. No more serious than some of the other random cuts.

I love how it's a play on ZZ Top's "La Grange", lol. Also similar to The Rolling Stones's "Shake Your Hips".

Quote Originally Posted by WS82Classics View Post
    "

"Love Will Keep Us Alive" is a bad parody of every saccharine love song you hear on the radio these days. Paints such an un-realistic portrait of love. I cannot stand that one at all.
    I agree with you on Love Will Keep Us Alive, its far too cliche ridden and not close enough to the darker, cynical lyrics of their hits which were more gritty and realistic

Actually quite like Teenage Jail, the big one I struggle with is Last Resort which is just bloated and dosen't have the nuances and little shifts that kept Lyin Eyes from being too long. I always think in the Zeppellin manner of if you have a long 6 minute plus song it has to have several shifts in either pace, mood or genre otherwise it almost without exception loses your interest and full engagement
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Actually quite like Teenage Jail, the big one I struggle with is Last Resort which is just bloated and dosen't have the nuances and little shifts that kept Lyin Eyes from being too long. I always think in the Zeppellin manner of if you have a long 6 minute plus song it has to have several shifts in either pace, mood or genre otherwise it almost without exception loses your interest and full engagement.
    I'm another one of the few who doesn't think "The Last Resort" is absolutely brilliant. It's not my least favorite by any means because it has a lot of really good moments, but I think it's overrated - although for different reasons than you gave.

First, though, the positives: the first verse is quite poetic, as are several other phrases throughout. The instrumentation is beautiful and the arrangement at the end is effectively dramatic.

Another positive: the line "There is no more new frontier; we have got to make it here" has always stood out to me as very insightful. Many of the song's "morals of the story" are easy to see coming, but that line surprised me in a good way because he's including himself in a group that needs to work together to make the world a better place rather than looking down on others. Unfortunately, the lines that follow include the ironic use of "we" where you don't really include yourself in the group; it's reduced to a rhetorical device. However, those following lines don't diminish the power of the one that preceded them for me. That line is sung with a personal conviction that the more condescending lines lack.

On the down side: as alluded to previously, much of the song's "lessons" are predictable (imperialism is bad, evangelism is bad, commercial development is bad, etc) and much of it is terribly self-righteous. Thus, despite its many strengths, the song overall doesn't do much for me.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten