Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    7. The Long Run - even more uneven and containing some of the worst Eagles music ever released, IMHO. (Here's where I get REALLY controversial! lol) It has moments of brilliance: Heartache Tonight, Those Shoes, I Can't Tell You Why. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by moments that make me cringe. To me, Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail are so awful that they make my ears bleed. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks and King of Hollywood also don't appeal to me. I do enjoy The Long Run, In the City, and The Sad Cafe, but I've never considered them standout Eagles tracks, and they can't save the album for me. Of course, it's all subjective.
    Was giving this thread a revisit and just have to say I think this is probably the most I have ever agreed with on a post on this forum. In a way I'm glad the Eagles ended when they did because I'd hate to think of what the next step beyond the Long Run would be like. No hate please guys

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I wonder if they would have embraced Disco? :shudder:
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I can't hear quite what's so bad about Disco. I'd much prefer to listen to Chic, Sister Sledge or <I'm struggling to come up with another name> to "Disco Strangler". That track makes me think of Joe's comments about the record label being willing to put out a record where they just burped and farted.

Favourite Eagles Studio Albums in order

Desperado
    On the Border
    Eagles
    One of The Nights
    Hotel California
    The Long Run

I can't work out where to put Long Road out of Eden. Either before or after Hotel California.

Forgot about this thread.

I must say I'm still surprised about all the high praise for Desperado (album). Obviously I'm the odd man out as it is strong praise from everyone. As much as I've gotten into certain forms of country music lately, it's just not my thing.... The whole "concept" of this album is not in tune with me. That said, I resonate strongly with the title track but I feel a "take it or leave it" about the rest of the album except perhaps Out Of Control. Tequila Sunrise is really burned out for me now.

Looking back at the original list I did, I'd say not much has changed in the past 2-3 years. I still prefer the rockier (more classic rock than country rock) Eagles and my favorite lineup is HC. I still strongly believe getting JW in the band is probably their smartest move to date.

Here is my new list though - one or two changes.

1. Hotel California (always will be - their defining masterpiece AFAIC)
    2. On The Border
    3. The Long Run
    4. One Of These Nights
    5. Eagles
    6. Desperado
    7. Long Road Out Of Eden

I've started liking OTB more than TLR lately - a nice mix of rockin' country and rock n' roll. Adding Felder to the mix was great - but Joe and Felder together is magical.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 01-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I can't hear quite what's so bad about Disco. I'd much prefer to listen to Chic, Sister Sledge or <I'm struggling to come up with another name> to "Disco Strangler". That track makes me think of Joe's comments about the record label being willing to put out a record where they just burped and farted.
    I like disco; like every other genre which exists it has its good and bad. But then again since I grew up loving R&B and funk it wasn't that much different to me than those other forms.

I understand why people didn't think "The Disco Strangler" worked as satire, but to me most of the record is satirical, so it's fine; it's certainly better - to me - than songs which appropriated disco just to be hip.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

I know that Glenn didm't like disco. I'm not sure about the others.

I like disco too. It just got over done.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

We're ranking studio albums? All right...

1) Desperado (I must be the polar opposite of Austin here, being raised on country music )
    2) One of These Nights
    3) Eagles
    4) Hotel California
    5) On the Border
    6) The Long Run
    7) Long Road Out of Eden (only b/c I don't know it as well as the 70s LPs...I must give it more of a listen very soon)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I know that Glenn didm't like disco. I'm not sure about the others.
    I'm fairly certain none of them cared for it, or the scene it produced, hence the parody.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Sadler View Post
    We're ranking studio albums? All right...

1) Desperado (I must be the polar opposite of Austin here, being raised on country music )
    2) One of These Nights
    3) Eagles
    4) Hotel California
    5) On the Border
    6) The Long Run
    7) Long Road Out of Eden (only b/c I don't know it as well as the 70s LPs...I must give it more of a listen very soon)
    Hehe what's funny is that I'm listening to more country music now than I ever have. I think it has more to do with the theme than the genre, because I love OTB and some of the countrier songs on it.

I really can't list my favorites because it changes all the time. I will say however that Life In The Fast Lane is probably my favorite song so I guess HC would be my favorite album.

By the way, my daughters boyfriend bought me Hotel California Vinyl for Christmas. It had never been opened. Even has a cool poster in it.