Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

And from me too. (Congratulations on 1500).

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    And from me too. (Congratulations on 1500).
    Thanks! It feels good to be "Stuck On The Border".
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Congratulations from me too Austin!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aivliss View Post
    Here is my list, I must probably be the only one to choose The Long Run as first favourite but that's it! Maybe I'll be able to add a few comments later, now just the list:

1. The Long Run
    2. Hotel California
    3. On The Border
    4. Desperado
    5. One of these nights
    6. THe Eagles
    7. The Long Road Out of Eden
    Nope---Check out my list...The Long Run s right there at the very top, by a landslide for me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    I didn't say I didn't accept the earlier stuff. I like "Eagles". But I don't like Desperado. What's so wrong with that?!?!

I just PREFER Hotel California and The Long Run. Even I love On The Border and One Of These Nights. I like Long Road Out Of Eden. There is only one Eagles album I dislike - and that is Desperado. I'm not saying everyone has to love HC. I'm just saying I find all of this very interesting - that's all.

And even though you probably don't think so - the current lineup isn't my favorite. My favorite Eagles lineup is the Hotel California lineup!
    You had me pretty much in total agreement....up till your last paragraph!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA
    I think there are two quintessential albums by the Eagles.

"Desperado" was their best work prior to their transition into a heavier Rockier group. That statement is NOT substantiated by record sales or in fact by most people's opinions. But it is with no reservations on my part, the most underrated album I think they've launched to date.

Desperado never made it above #41 on the charts while the next worst charting album was their self-titled first release which charted at #22. Yet in sales, Desperado went double Platnium in the US while "Eagles" only went Platnium. I've never understood that. It had two really popular songs on it too: "Tequila Sunrise" and "Desperado". It really should have ranked better than it did. It is truly an enigma.

So, I guess confessing that "Desperado" is one the two favorites by the group and one of my favorite albums of ANY group really shows my esoteric tastes in music!
    I have to admit I'm surprised to see this coming from you. You've been so adamant about disliking country and to me Desperado and Tequila Sunrise are 2 that are about as close as you can come to country. For some reason, I just kind of figured you to be more Hotel California or Long Run also.

I'm afraid I am also in the mold of one that just doesn't see where Desperado was one of their best. It has always been my least favorite.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by timothybfan
    I'm afraid I am also in the mold of one that just doesn't see where Desperado was one of their best. It has always been my least favorite.
    You are definitely in the majority Willie. Didn't do well on the charts and neither of the singles released from it did well (21 and Tequila Sunrise). Desperado was popular from the concerts.

Eventually the album sold well, but not at first.

I think of Desperado more as Bluegrass than Country....maybe Grass-Rock? I handle Bluegrass better than Country. All that flat-pickin'....chicken-pickin'. It's sort of the equivalent of Shredding in Electric playing but on an acoustic.

Maybe it is because the Dalton Gang was so prominent here in Kansas and I knew quite a bit about them and the album loosely documents their misadventures.

Or maybe it is the string work that Leadon came up with for the album.

Or I thought of the lyrics sort of spoke of my own feelings and situations a bit as a young person. I just don't know.

Tequila Sunrise even pleases me. Can't justify it Willie. Just one of them left-field thangs I guess.

Just ain't no explaining the musical tastes of an eccentric!

MikeA

TBF - Would it make you feel better if I told you that TLR lineup is a close 2nd fav for me? I would have quoted you but I'm on my phone and its too hard!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As we always say, whether or not someone likes something is a matter of personal preference and I would never question that. But I would have to take issue with anyone who said that any Eagles album is a bad album. However, when disagreeing with one another, let's refrain from name-calling. Not only does it come across as a bit sophomoric, but it's hard for some of us to tell whether folks are joking or serious.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I've said it before in about a hundred different contexts, comparing the two "stages" of Eagles evolution is like comparing one genre to another. Even the band members were changing.

I just don't see the discrepancy. I guess I just have a broader appreciation of where they've been and where they've gone. It's ALL GOOD.
    Mike - I feel exactly the same way. As I said earlier, my two favorite Eagles albums are Hotel California and Desperado. I guess it may be somewhat of a dichotomy, but that's the very thing I loved and still love about this band. You don't get the same music over and over - different styles, different singers, different themes - I'm in heaven!

With regard to Desperado, I don't hear a pure country sound. In my mind, it is country rock. Overall, it may lean a bit more towards country, but only silightly. As FP said, there are some songs on it that are more of a rock sound, too. As I said before - I think part of the reason that it was not an immediate commercial success is because it suffered from an identity crisis - too country for rock and too rock for country. But no matter what you call it, the songs are still REALLY good and that's why it has stood the test of time, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Don't forget Mr Frey's classic line 'they made a f&*@n' cowboy record, man'!

Desperado is a very mature sounding work for such young men. In fact Bernie emphasises their youth in Twenty-One. Of all their albums this is the one which has grown on me the most.

I always loved Desperado, but then I've always been fascination by the 'Outlaws & Cowboys' thing which we used to see a lot of on TV here when I was growing up. My favourite show was Alias Smith & Jones & even though I was fairly young I liked Pete Duel who played Joshua Smith. I was sad when I heard he had committed suiside.
    The songs on the album just bring to mind images of the Wild West & the guys looked great in their cowboy gear.

Now I love LROOE so much, possibly more than Desperado.
    Although these are my fave albums they don't contain my favourite singles(Take it Easy, Lyin' Eyes & Peaceful Easy Feeling).

p.s to my previous post...

I've just remembered that by strange coincidence Pete Duel came from the same city as my darling Will Hollis, Rochester NY.
    They produce good looking guys in that city!!!