Page 276 of 301 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

That is an interesting find, UTW - don't remember seeing this before. Can't even imagine Joe retiring now - much less back then.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Just saw this article on Entertainment Weekly with Richard Linklater, the director of "Dazed and Confused", "Boyhood", and others, and he posted more of his playlist he used to help make his recent movie "Everybody Wants Some!!" which included "I Can't Tell You Why". The movie is set in 1980 and he calls it a spiritual sequel to "Dazed and Confused" as it takes place 4 years later and is about a college baseball team (some of the freshman characters in the first film were baseball players). I haven't seen the film yet but will soon once it's out on DVD but I have noticed just from the film's trailer and posters the guys in the film have similar hairstyles to the Eagles "Long Run" era. I have heard it's got a lot of songs from the late 70s and 1980 as well in the movie but nice to see at least one Eagles song made it. Apparently his full playlist had over 200 songs on it.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/23...80s-soundtrack
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    That is an interesting find, UTW - don't remember seeing this before. Can't even imagine Joe retiring now - much less back then.
    Well, this was a year or so after his daughter's death..I believe all of that changed Joe for the next 20 years.

Stuck on the Border

Back in January there were a few mean-spirited articles about the Eagles. I've just read a well-written blog in thatexplains why one of these was wrong in nearly every aspect, so I'll share.

http://culturecatch.com/music/glenn-frey-eagles

The second, is someone comparing the reactions to the deaths of Bowie and Prince with Glenn. Although I disagree with many of the descriptions and phrases, the premise is interesting. He suggests that Bowie and Prince had more cultural impact because they were "other" whereas the Eagles were what was expected and therefore, Bowie and Prince were more likely to have changed lives.

http://www.thepublicprofessor.com/pr...om-the-eagles/

Stuck on the Border

And in all of that, Glenn himself, the man & the musician, is utterly lost. He was according to that just a member of a band that made music.

I understood the first article to some extent. I hated the second. 'Why nobody really cares about that guy from the Eagles' indeed.

The man himself said 'people did things to the Eagles'. Ordinary people who weren't obsessed with being 'different' had their lives enriched by the band and I had my life immeasurably enriched by Glenn Frey and HIS music.

I dislike the term 'silent majority' as it always seems to be used by political conservatives who object to any kind of change & seem to take it for granted that the majority agree with them. In this case, however, there was a very large number of people who loved the Eagles & perhaps felt that somehow their lives were changed, even if they didn't go out & start revolutions.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-01-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    A
    The man himself said 'people did things to the Eagles'. Ordinary people who weren't obsessed with being 'different' had their lives enriched by the band and I had my life immeasurably enriched by Glenn Frey and HIS music.

A-FREAKING-MEN.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

A-FREAKING-MEN.
    I'll second that!!!

Stuck on the Border

One final link. It's on a Beatles-related blog and although it's ostensibly about Glenn, it has stories about other Eagles, especially Randy and Joe.
    http://beatleshistorian.com/?p=310

The inclusion of Timothy B. Schmit into the 1992 tour of Ringo’s All-Starr Band reflects a most unusual irony. Eagles’ co-founder Randy Meisner was the bass player for Poco; when he left Poco in 1970, he was replaced by Timothy B. Schmit. When Mesiner left The Eagles in 1977, coincidentally his replacement was none other than Timothy B. Schmit. What the music world does not know is that Randy Meisner was actually a member of Buffalo Springfield, too. He was hired as the bass player, but a month or so later the band broke up. The original Eagles bassist practiced with Buffalo Springfield during that time, but the band broke up in 1968 before Randy Meisner could appear on an album or in concert. Believe it or not, a very young Timothy B. Schmit also auditioned for the position with Buffalo Springfield that ultimately went to Meisner right before the famed group disbanded.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Holy cow, Joe played guitar on Andy Gibb's "(Love Is) Thicker Than Water"?! Did not know that. Maybe they interacted at Criteria Studios. Felder mentioned in his book that he got to know and like the Gibb brothers, particularly Barry.

Thank you Utw for referring us to that blog.

Thanks for that!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten