Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Expando Reviews!

Default Expando Reviews!

Just finished listening to the cd, and off the top of my head my favorites are still Friday Night and Parachute, although I love Downtime, Secular Praise and A Good Day. (Love the line in A Good Day, "We'll make love 'til we can't see straight, then we'll rest our eyes.")

What's everybody else think? I'll delve in deeper as I listen to it more.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Expando Reviews!

Of course I do not have my cd yet BUT I was just thinking about that line earlier today when I was thinking about the concert and Timothy & that line came to mind , of him singing it the other night and the reaction that the audience gave when he sang it. I wonder what he was thinking when all the women started hooting and hollaring when he sang it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Let me begin by saying, I've been on this site and posting way too much the past 48 hours. I'm still on a TBS high and I'm all jazzed up!

My first initial response to the CD is this, I feel voyeristic! Honestly, I feel like I'm peeking into Tim's life. Songs like Ella Jean, Compassion, White Boy From Sacramento, Secular Praise ... they are so personal. I think that is why I love the CD so much. I like getting to know people. I know that doesn't come across so much on this board, but in real life, if we sat down and had dinner, I'd probably ask you everything about your life, because I find people interesting.

I will go more into each song after a few more listens. However, the stand outs to me are Friday Night, White Boy From Sacramento, Downtime and Secular Praise and A Good Day.

Now, on a non musical level, about the CD packaging... While I don't love the front cover at all, it's growing on me. I really dislike the back cover though. The picture on the booklet... okay, Jeans a good artist, but I'm having a hard time looking at that painting! Actually, it reminds me of Jackson Browne when he had his beard. Pic on back of booklet is fantasic!!! Yes, I know this has nothing to do w/the content, but still, it's part of the CD and I'm sure it'll eventually come up. It's just my opinion and I know others will feel the exact opposite.

Overall though, I'm loving the CD. Then again, I'm not exactly the objective audience.

sings... "i can hit them high notes like they were nothin" (and it sings it high... who can't love that?)

Okay, now that I've listened to this CD for about eight hours I have to give a HUGE thumbs up to MELANCHOLY and COMPASSION. BUT I still can't pick just one favorite. I love every song for a different reason, whether it's the tempo, tune or lyrics.

WHITE BOY is such a FUN song and you can just hear in his voice that he's having a blast poking fun at himself.

And I have to agree with LTL: I feel like a voyeur who is peeking. When I listen to the words it's so obvious this is a very personal compilation. EXPANDO projects a side of Timothy that I think we've always known -- or at least suspected -- was just waiting to bust out. There is humor, love, passion and understanding in these songs.

The packaging has me sitting on the fence. The front cover is growing on me, much the same as LTL said. When I saw the back cover my first thought was "WHF?" until I saw the latest updates and photos on the website and then it made sense to me. And I absolutely love the inside photo on the jacket. As for the insert, again I have to agree with LTL about the painting on the front...but again I love the new photo on the back. The other two pictures made sense immediately -- Timothy's affinitity for things Native American and the statue (he does call his studio "Mooselodge" after all.)

Lastly, a note about the website. The additions are really great, especially the pictures. I was particularly interested in the 'in studio' shots during the recording process and couldn't help but notice the predominant Native American flavor to the decor when I studied the pictures. (I really like the PHOTOGRAPH of Timothy holding the orange -- if you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for? And the photo of Timothy and Ben is priceless!).

My bottom line:

PS: I THINK THE EAGLES SHOULD ADD 'WHITE BOY' TO THE SET LIST WHEN THEY HIT THE ROAD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cynd1231; 10-21-2009 at 03:21 AM.
    I just need a little downtime.........

Thanks for the reviews so far guys. Love reading what everyone is thinking. Love the kind words cynd about White Boy.

I broke down late last night and bought a few off of itunes. Darn that Amazon--will NEVER do that again. Anyways I'm warning you all now--if you DON'T want to get angry, DO NOT go on there and read the reviews! They aren't kind. Obviously people who don't appreciate good music!

I think I will wait till I have the real cd in hand before I will do an actual review. But with what I heard the other night live and what I do have downloaded at this time~~ WOW . I don't think any of you will be surprised how much I love it so far!

One question to those of you that have the cd in hand--do the liner notes have the lyrics?

Well, I never did get around to pre-ordering and after reading about others who did and learning of their arrival dates, I'm glad I didn't pre-order. I work nights so it's much more difficult for me to get around to certain stores while they are open and I just about always miss the u.p.s. guy when I'm expecting certain packages that i've ordered. So, what I ended up doing was downloading the entire album from Itunes. I would much rather have the actual album (cover and all) in hand but I just couldn't wait much longer to hear the new songs and for $9.99 i'd say it was quite a bargain. I haven't listened to it yet but I'm about to drive back to my hometown to visit my family so i plan to listen to it then. I'm looking forward to it. I need to get on the road so I can finally hear these new songs.

Btw, Willie, you were right about those reviews on itunes. Other than Friday Night and Parachute, I haven't heard the new songs yet and I can already tell that those idiots have no idea what they are talking about.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Yes Willie, the booklet has one song's lyrics per page, and the credits for each song on the last page. He thanks Irving first!

BTW, he thanks Julie Freeman. Is that the same Julie you guys talk about?
    ~ Cathy ~

That Julie!! She is such a sweetie!! Irving first huh? Timmy Timmy Timmy!

Thanks for the reviews, they sounds all great!
    I am so excited, canīt wait to hear the whole album someday!
    Finally I wanted to buy the album even at ITunes, so that I can hear it too
    but my search was not successful, not one of his solo album was indicated!
    I have no luck with this album!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I broke down late last night and bought a few off of itunes... Anyways I'm warning you all now--if you DON'T want to get angry, DO NOT go on there and read the reviews! They aren't kind. Obviously people who don't appreciate good music!
    I want to go onto itunes and write an appropriate review (those people don't know what they're talking about!) but I don't have time right now. But I want to urge everyone who has heard this cd and likes it to post a review for it on itunes! Let's help get the word out that this is some g-o-o-o-d music!
    ~ Cathy ~