Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

Default Re: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    That's the verse. It isn't a chorus. The song has no chorus at all. If ''you're lost in a teenage jail' was repeated, that would be the chorus. Interestingly, a couple of other songs on this album have no chorus either - King Of Hollywood & The Sad Café (people may disagree but I don't think repeating a song title a couple of times constitutes a chorus). It could also be argued that both The Long Run & I Can't Tell You Why barely have choruses either.

There are some songs which famously start with the chorus (She Loves You by the Beatles).

As for the drums I would suggest the tempo is too slow for them to be 'hard rocking'.
    I was thinking that, as you said with She loves you, that the song started with the chorus as it is bigger and multi tracked or harmony laden while don's part is definitely a lead vocal such as in a verse. The album felt like they had such lack of ideas or structure that it has a lot of songs that in my opinion go nowhere or never come to a satisfying conclusion.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    I was thinking that, as you said with She loves you, that the song started with the chorus as it is bigger and multi tracked or harmony laden while don's part is definitely a lead vocal such as in a verse. The album felt like they had such lack of ideas or structure that it has a lot of songs that in my opinion go nowhere or never come to a satisfying conclusion.

If the beginning of Teenage Jail was a chorus those words ('stare out the window' etc) would be repeated later in the song., They are not. The melody is repeated later '('you're not like the others'). That is the second verse. The sound of it & how it is produced has nothing to do with its structure.

Choruses are repeated at least once, as in 'welcome to the Hotel California'. Both the words & the melody are repeated in a chorus.Teenage Jail has no words repeated at all except for the one line 'you're lost in a teenage jail' & in my view that is the bridge between the two verses.

https://www.forwardpoetry.co.uk/chorus.php
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-01-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Banned

Cool Re: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

"Sad Cafe" has a chorus - well, it's been performed that way, at least one time. And I've seen it done with a very long bridge as well.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    "Sad Cafe" has a chorus - well, it's been performed that way, at least one time. And I've seen it done with a very long bridge as well.
    What do you consider constitutes the chorus of The Sad Café? The title is repeated a couple of times. That is a refrain, not a chorus.

Banned

It was a small live show, somewhere in So Ca, I don't recall where or when. An acoustic take, which I thought came off really well. Could've been maybe at the Golden Bear, down at Huntington Beach?

Stuck on the Border

It was a small live show, somewhere in So Ca, I don't recall where or when. An acoustic take, which I thought came off really well. Could've been maybe at the Golden Bear, down at Huntington Beach?

You didn't answer my question. I asked what part of the song you considered to be the chorus.

Never mind.

I also find it interesting to hear that the Eagles were doing 'small live shows' in 1979 or 1980. By then they were one of the biggest bands in the world.

Banned

Question Re: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

Is it just me, or do you have a snarky asshole attitude?
    Maybe it's just me.

I don't recall what the chorus was for "Sad Cafe," but it was something. And it wasn't the Eagles that did the gig that night at The Golden Bear, or whatever club it was. It was Henley, Waddy Wachtel on lead, Don Francisco, I think, on percussion, a couple of others...

A lot of big L.A. acts played small clubs here and there around town (e.g., Neil Young at The Ash Grove or even at The Palomino, an old-time country hangout in North Hollywood. (The Tubes, famously, entered a "local talent" competition at The Pal under the name Fee Waybill And Heifer's Dream, and won.)

Anyway, at this mostly acoustic gig, Henley was singing lead and playing a Martin. It was a weeknight, and there were maybe 20 or 30 people in the audience, mostly musicians from Orange County and thereabouts. "Sad Cafe" hadn't been released yet, so people were hearing it for the first time. It was a really sad song; I thought it was maybe about The Formosa Cafe, which could be a really sad place, in a Blade Runner sort of way...

Stuck on the Border

Is it just me, or do you have a snarky asshole attitude?
    Maybe it's just me.

I don't recall what the chorus was for "Sad Cafe," but it was something. And it wasn't the Eagles that did the gig that night at The Golden Bear, or whatever club it was. It was Henley, Waddy Wachtel on lead, Don Francisco, I think, on percussion, a couple of others...

A lot of big L.A. acts played small clubs here and there around town (e.g., Neil Young at The Ash Grove or even at The Palomino, an old-time country hangout in North Hollywood. (The Tubes, famously, entered a "local talent" competition at The Pal under the name Fee Waybill And Heifer's Dream, and won.)

Anyway, at this mostly acoustic gig, Henley was singing lead and playing a Martin. It was a weeknight, and there were maybe 20 or 30 people in the audience, mostly musicians from Orange County and thereabouts. "Sad Cafe" hadn't been released yet, so people were hearing it for the first time. It was a really sad song; I thought it was maybe about The Formosa Cafe, which could be a really sad place, in a Blade Runner sort of way...

If I am snarky because you made a statement, I asked you to clarify, you ignored my request, and then basically were not able to elaborate any further, then I suppose I am snarky. I thought what I asked was legitimate considering you were the one who raised it. If you couldn't remember, fair enough, but you seemed pretty confident about it. I'm sorry I asked. I should have noted the bit about 'performed once'.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-02-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Banned

No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If the beginning of Teenage Jail was a chorus those words ('stare out the window' etc) would be repeated later in the song., They are not. The melody is repeated later '('you're not like the others'). That is the second verse. The sound of it & how it is produced has nothing to do with its structure.

Choruses are repeated at least once, as in 'welcome to the Hotel California'. Both the words & the melody are repeated in a chorus.Teenage Jail has no words repeated at all except for the one line 'you're lost in a teenage jail' & in my view that is the bridge between the two verses.

https://www.forwardpoetry.co.uk/chorus.php
    Actually it dosen't specifically have be the same lyrics as per the definition below, it can still be the same melody along with the main guitar riff, in many ways the guitar riff that underscores it indicates it's the hook or chorus of the song
    noun
    a part of a song which is repeated after each verse.
    "strong guitar-driven songs with big, big choruses"
    synonyms: refrain, burden, strain; informalhook
    "they sang the chorus again"
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes