Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Favorite and prized vinyl collections!

Default Re: Favorite and prized vinyl collections!

Eva,

I used to have that BTO "Not Fragile" album. Probably still have it tucked into my pile (or one or them) somewhere. They were a good group and got quite a bit of play on my systems.

MikeA

For those of you who have vinyl collections, this turntable might be something you'd be interested in. At $99 for a USB turntable, it's worth looking at!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TTUSB

MikeA

Thanks Mike - I'm good!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I'm "good" too Cathy. I have a most excellent Techniques turntable but had to buy a Mickey-Mouse "turntable amp" to get the signal into my sound card. The USB device would eliminate the need for any of that type "stuff".

MikeA

I got a USB turntable expressly for the purpose of converting vinyl that had not been released as a CD to a digital format, and I love it! Definitely worth the investment to have records that are not only collectibles, but listenables.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I need to buy one with USB....hmm...
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

If you have vinyl you've saved or obtained recently, it would be a shame to not at least attempt "ripping" it to digital format so you can listen to it without further damaging the vinyl.

I mentioned that I had purchased a little "turntable amp" instead of buying a USB turntable. It didn't make sense to pay for a turntable when I still had a great turntable collecting dust! And the little amp or adapter only cost $20 on eBay I think.

It's really just an "adapter" that you plug in the two analog RCA cords from the turntable into on one side of the little box and then come out of the other side with a "Y" adapter to get it into 1/8" for the sound card. You don't want a 200 watt amp for this. All you want is an amp with impedence matched to the turntable so that it will boost the signal generated from the magnetic cartridge on the turntable enough for the sound card's mic input to pick up. You may have a sound card with more elaborate inputs.

There is a side benefit to the separate amp. Not too many cassette decks have outputs that are matched impedence with sound cards but running my old Techniques Cassette Deck through the turntable adapter made it a viable input device. The only problem was that the heads on the deck had been unmaintained for so long that I never did get them completely cleaned and demagnatized! Besides, all of the old cassettes I had were so old the mylar had turned brittle <LOL>. I only used it once and that was to digitize an interview with Joe that he'd done with Mark Lane down in Australia.

MikeA

I've been collecting vinyl over the last few months. I've got 54 albums right now and most of them are in great condition. I've got a record player too but the belt is stretched. I ordered a new belt for it today so I should be good to go in a week or two.
    Last edited by whitcap; 09-19-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Quote Originally Posted by whitcap View Post
    I've been collecting vinyl over the last few months. I've got 54 albums right now and most of them are in great condition. I've got a record player too but the belt is stretched. I ordered a new one today so I should be good to go in a week or two.
    We've been collecting vinyl too, my husband has a stack that he has to clean so we can play them.

Enjoy your new turntable.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Glad to hear it WC and EK!!! Warning tho---once you start, you can't stop! We are well over 900 albums now. It's an addiction!
    He sings it high, he plays it low