Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Tribute Bands

Default Eagles Tribute Bands

We have several threads where people talk about seeing Eagles tribute bands (or being in one) - I thought it might be handy to have a centralized thread where we list Eagles tribute bands so we can follow them and maybe check out their shows. These are the ones that have been mentioned in other threads (although I'm sure I'm missing some)

The Alter Eagles (Greg's band)
    7 Bridges: The Ultimate Eagles Experience (Keith's band)
    Eaglemania (Jon and Frank's band - as reviewed by Dreamer here)
    Heartache Tonight (as reviewed by PM here)
    New Kid in Town (Canada) (as reviewed by timfan here)
    Talon (UK) (as reviewed by JanisJoplin here)
    The Sheagles
    Desperado (UK)
    Illegal Eagles (UK)
    The Dutch Eagles (Europe)
    One of These Nights (Canada)
    The Long Run (Los Angeles)
    The Long Run (Colorado)
    Another Tequila Sunrise
    Take It to the Limit
    Hotel California (as reviewed by Dreamer here, Stars here, cheryl here and Molly here)*

*Now, there are several tribute bands called Hotel California, and Molly saw another one she reviewed here.

So, what we can do is try to find others and maybe link to their official sites or tour schedules. I have linked to the official sites of those I could find.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Eagles Tribute Bands

Good idea Soda!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

One interesting thing PM noted in her review was the difference between a "tribute" band and a "cover" band. Which of those above do you think truly fit the label "tribute" in that they try to emulate the guys closely and which of them fall more into the "cover band" territory? I know Greg said his band is making an effort to imitate the Eagles in dress, for instance. I'm not trying to diss the bands that don't make that effort, but it's an interesting distinction.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not sure it really matters much if these are cover or tribute bands. I think most of them call themselves tribute bands whether they really are or not. The Hotel California band that I saw did not try to emulate the real Eagles in terms of appearance, but they sure did musically. I like the idea of this thread to help us keep up with the show dates of various acts.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

If they tried to emulate the voices and arrangements, I think that lifts them above your regular "cover band." Regardless, it sounds like they're really enjoyable. I'm going to be looking for 7 Bridges Road since they're based out of Tennessee, although apparently they aren't playing near here anytime soon!

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

PM, I too have seen Heartache Tonight! I want to say it was last fall... but it could have been even longer than that. I thought they were okay, but when I saw them... they played a TON of solo material. I know the Eagles themselves do it too...but I was hoping for more Eagles songs.

I can't recall if they played ICTYW... but for some reason, I thought they did. Wow, maybe it was longer than I thought!

As far as cover vs. tribute... I never gave it much thought... but I totally get was PM is saying. I've seen American English, which is a Beatles Tribute band and they dress and act like them. Complete w/accents, which they don't really have. They are really, really good! I wonder if anyone here has seen them.

So yes, I guess this band would be more "cover band" , paying tribute to the Eagles.

A few weeks ago I went to see Hotel California - The Australian Eagles Experience. This is the link to their site: http://www.hotelcalifornia.com.au/eagles-bio.html.
    As far as I can tell they aren't one of the bands listed above. They seem to be a cross between a tribute & a cover band. They introduced the members as the individual Eagle that they portrayed & at the end gave the name of each member & the part that they played, ie." David Gray as Don Henley". He actually had Glenn's hairstyle from the seventies. The guy who played Timothy had on a bad wig (and I don't mean bad in a good way). The others didn't try to immitate the hairstyles of any of the other guys. I guess that they tried to dress in the seventies style, but none of them were wearing anything that looked to me like any of the outfits that the Eagles actually wore.

The band did a good job. I enjoyed the show. I didn't think that any of the voices sounded that similar to the Eagles' voices though. At the beginning of the show they showed video clips of 4 songs from the 1976 Houston video & the various members sang as Don, Glenn or Randy in sync with the video presentation.

Here's what really bugged me. I read that the band had been together for 12 years. Don't you think that in all that time someone would have told them that Glenn's name is not pronounced Fray & - brace yourself Willie - Timothy's name is not Smith!?

All in all it was a good evening's entertainment.
    Last edited by GlennLover; 11-08-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    One interesting thing PM noted in her review was the difference between a "tribute" band and a "cover" band.

Well, maybe I'm wrong. As I said, I was basing my statement on other 'tributes' I've seen. I thought tributing meant emulating in every way and that's why I thought of Heartache Tonight more as a cover band. They were great musicians, played the Eagles songs very similar to the original recordings, but didn't try to look like the Eagles, act like the Eagles, or sound like the Eagles, but rather used their own vocal interpretations. To try to explain further just go to their site (listed above in Soda's post #1) and listen to the song Heartache Tonight. They have a quote by Eddie Money saying "I thought I was listening to the Eagles". Really? C'mon Eddie.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

To me a 'cover' band plays songs by a variety of artists. If they are only playing the songs of one artist then I consider it a tribute band.

Out on the Border An Alter Eagle's Avatar

Every time I come to this board I appreciate it more and more. In this case, I'm reading in this thread the exact thoughts I had when my brother first approached me with the idea to form an Eagles Tribute.

First - The music is everything! And that starts with the vocals. If you don't play the songs as close to the exact CD sound as possible, then you are a cover band (which is fine, just not what we were going for.)
    Second - Come as close to the look and feel of the Eagles live show as possible within the constraints of #1 above.

We had several meetings and fought through many issues that needed to be decided:

• What era are we portraying, both musically and visually? We decided we'd play all of the great hits, ESPECIALLY the ones the Eagles themselves don't play much any more if at all. After that, we'd do selected solo tunes, but never to the detriment of the core hits. We started out with the 90's blazers, cleancut look as shown here:
    AE Photo.jpg

Now we're trying the 70's/retro look. No pics of that yet, but we're playing New Orleans this weekend and should have some good ones from there.

Other questions:
    • Are we "acting" in the roles, a la "Beatlemania" or just doing our best to look and sound like the Eagles while still playing as ourselves? This is the toughest question, and we constantly update our arguments. We want to provide the greatest experience for the Eagles fans, but we also don't want to come off cheesy. I saw one of the reviews here mention a really bad wig on the bass player, for example. We'd rather not dress up at all than have that happen. We ultimately decided that we would look the roles of the singer and/or player we were "covering" but still go by our actual names on stage. We tell back stories of songs and share interesting insights, but we don't call each other by the Eagles' names.
    • How strict are we staying to the singer/player roles? This one was made easier by the fact that it is virtually impossible to find someone who can sing like Don Henley, much less one who can ALSO play the drums. We are blessed to have my brother, Todd, who has an amazing voice and actually sounds a lot like Don Henley, AND hits all of his high notes pretty much spot on. However, he plays decent guitar but has no drum skill at all. We ultimately decided to re-create the best SOUND first, with the best voice singing each Eagles' songs, and the best musicians playing each lead or rhythm part. I sing all the Glenn songs, Todd sings the Don, even thought we're both out front for pretty much the whole show.
    There were lots of other things, but those were the biggies, and I've already gone WAY long on this post.

Looking at it now, we are probably not a pure "tribute" band, in that we don't act the roles exactly. I would definitely say we are a reverence band, though, because we spend hours working to perfect every note as close to the original cd as possible. Maybe a cross between the two?

One last thought on that, I've seen one very successful Eagles "tribute" band live-I sought them out back when we were first starting so I could see how they did things, thinking it would help us with decisions on our own show. They didn't try to totally re-create the original CD sound, which was fine I guess. But I was appalled to hear MASSIVE amounts of vocal processing and what I'm positive were pre-recorded backing vocal tracks. More than once I saw a player turn away from his mike yet the vocal part he was "singing" stayed steady and strong throughout. Most people wouldn't even notice or care- even my friend who I thought would know better came out of the concert and raved about how amazing their harmonies sounded!

My point is that we decided up front that if we couldn't pull off the vocals with our own voices - no harmonizers, tracks, etc, then we would find some other band to pay tribute to.

I saw on the 7Bridges site that they're committed to the same thing, to which I say, "Right on brothers!"

OK, I'm climbing off the soapbax now. Sorry for the length, but as you can tell we are VERY passionate about this music and our role in sharing it with other Eagles fans.

I'm very interested to hear your takes on the various decisions "tributes" have to make.

Greg