Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, AUS - 11 Mar. 2015

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, AUS - 11 Mar. 2015

Just very quickly, the phone stuff & the no photos policy basically led to the audiences, without exception, deciding that if the Eagles would not even allow them even a basic souvenir of the evening then they wouldn't cooperate with the Eagles' requests to enjoy themselves & move around in the second half. I will write about what happned last night when I do a proper review of it; I am too tired to do so at the moment.

I find it incredibly sad that the so-called reviews of these shows have been dominated by such concerns & that the incredible music the band offered every night apparently 'just wasn't enough'. It was the last tour here, I suspect. Some leeway should have been given on all sides, including the band.

I have never heard of the woman who posted the instagram photo.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

FP, I created this thread and moved your post here.

I'm so sorry that it wasn't as enjoyable of an experience for you. I did notice at the 2014 and 2015 shows here in the US, it was much harder to get people to stand up and really get into it towards the ends of the concerts. The flip side of that is I wonder how many at the earlier concerts, without the rules, stood because they had to instead of because they wanted to. At the first LA concert there was a tall guy who insisted on standing in front of HH from the first song, and HH wasn't the only person affected. It was very distracting to have security argue with the man to sit down, and it lasted through four songs. In Indy, two women actually got into a fight because one stood half way through the first set and the one behind her couldn't see and didn't want to stand (no on else was standing). Unfortunately, security people have not shown they have any common sense and need to be given specific parameters, so it's a 'one size fits all'.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

I posted in the other thread because I didn't want any negativity to pervade the thread about last night. I was only going to mention it in passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I posted in the other thread because I didn't want any negativity to pervade the thread about last night. I was only going to mention it in passing.
    Oh, sorry! Well, it is about this concert, and so hopefully your positive thoughts later will override the negative!
    VK

Stuck on the Border

OK, I'm sorry it's taken me this long to post but I honestly haven't known what I wanted to say. I thought the last review was inadequate & this will probably be no better because despite an overwhelming experience I've run out of things to say.

It was the best seat I have ever had at a rock concert bar none. Front row dead centre in front of Glenn but I could see Don's drums perfectly. It was the best view of him drumming & singing I've ever had. I didn't know where to look, that's how good the view was.

With a seat like this you are going to get a lot of recognition. It made me feel self-conscious. With Tim I just smile back at him. Joe tends to just stare at you but he did give me a smile at one point. I know Don could see me but I didn't get any real acknowledgment from him at the end. He gave me a stare & I waved at him & he waved back. It was so sweet.

As for Glenn as Dreamer said you cherish the moments. He tends not to smile at individuals. During The Long Run he shared the 'did you do it for money' part with those of us in the front. 'I did it for money, just money', he mouthed at us & we all laughed with him. I was glad he shared it with me so that I ddin't come across as totally moonstruck. He has seen me often enough to know why I'm there. He winked at me after the second encore which brought back memories of the same city in 2013. That was good enough for me. Otherwise he would look my way on occasions. He wore the pale blue shirt with the navy inserts again in the second half. He looks so good it's ridiculous.

I set Don straight in his Long Run intro when he mentioned Eric Clapton recording an album in Miami. 'Was it 461 Ocean Avenue or Boulevard'? he asked nobody in particular. 'Boulevard' I said. 'Thank you' he said but he didn't look down. This is my least favourite song of the setlist, despite all the 'looking at a miracle' stuff from Don. But he touched Glenn on the arm during the last verse. Very nice.

It's hard to pick a particular highlight as they were all in exceptional form all night. Heartache Tonight was the only song in which the crowd showed any energy although Glenn tried his best to get them to clap during LBG. I think the band have been disappointed all tour, that when they ask the audience to respond & get involved in the second half, it hasn't happened for the most part. As I said I think there has been resentment about the phones & photos policy. I could have taken some extraordinary photos had I only been allowed. I don't wish to dwell on this.

I would also say however that some aspects of the History tour haven't worked that well in Australia (not with me, I hasten to add). The only name they mentioned from their early days which got a response was Linda Ronstadt & the other references to Topanga Canyon & Mulholland Drive just didn't register. I wonder how many people who went to these shows have even seen the HOTE documentary. It can't be helped.

I got to meet flojo briefly & she informed me that she used to live at a place near my husband's home town. Small world! We were going to go back to the city together after the show but got separated.

The night was bittersweet because I think it was probably my last Eagles show so I wish to thank the band & Glenn in particular for giving me so many wonderful experiences.

Thanks for the review, FP! In spite of the lackluster audience, it sounds like it was a great concert.
    VK

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very nice review, Fp! Just awesome that you had such wonderful seats too! And getting eye contact with all of them is too cool!

I would have to say that it's hard to get up and dance after you've been told to sit, no matter that they wanted you to. It kind of puts a damper on the whole evening. KWIM?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Lovely review FP, and I'm so delighted you got all the recognition you deserved. I know exactly how you feel about those special moments from Glenn . He did the 'I did it for the money' thing with me in NYC in 2013 and in London last year, and he did the count to 10 with me in London also at that concert. Its fun!

Delighted you got to meet up with flojo too. Small world isn't it?

Never say Never. Even if the Eagles as a group don't come back again to Australis, you never know what might happen. I remember you saying to me in chat one night that you didn't think Glenn would tour solo to Australia ever again, and he did!

Its such a pity you couldn't take those pics. I'm sure in that seat they would have been magnificent. I am genuinely sorry there is such a dearth of fan pictures from these concerts.

But at least with the new dates just announced we can be happy that they are not hanging up their guitars yet either
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thanks so much for the review! Glad you got so much attention! I hope you can see them again.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Sorry for the delay in posting this, I was too excited after hearing about the new dates the day we left Australia

As most of you will know I was a bit disappointed in the atmosphere with people not standing up etc. I met FP at the show and she was telling me it's normal in Australia.
    The show was great, a lot of banter and laughter on the stage.
    Don Henley did say that this was their last time in Australia, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Once again FP's review pretty much sums up most of it, but I would have to say that I completely disagree about the camera thing.
    I'm glad not to have to watch a concert through some inconsiderate person in front of me's phone. It's all very well to say that you would only want a few pics but once you allow cameras at all it just reverts back to a sea of people living life through a lens. I've had that attitude for years and would rather have the memories.
    If that's a reason for the Australians not standing up at the show then it's pretty lame.
    We saw Santana in the house of blues a couple of years back and some woman was stood in the front with a full size ipad. About halfway through the show Santana took it off her and pointed it back at the crowd to show how annoying it was. Needless to say she put it away after that.

Anyway, rant over! A few moments I remember from the show that FP never mentioned; Near the beginning when Timothy's talking about everything falling apart some woman in the upper seating screamed and he said 'I hope she's alright' which got a few chuckles.
    Glenn introduced LWKUA as Love will keep us awake I think I read somewhere that he's done that previously and it didn't go down well.
    There was an elderly woman a couple of seats along from me who threw a rose up for Joe Walsh at the start of PMAIAR. A bit later Glenn picked it up and had it between his teeth, I think it was during LBG at the Glenn's great bit. Either that or the intros (I must have had too many bourbons).
    We were in front of Joe at this show, which is always good for entertainment value. There was no go pro or grunting for LBG, he had a masquerade mask on at one point, I can't remember which song that was during.

It was a really good show (despite not being able to stand up). I'm not much of a chair dancer as you can probably tell.
    Glenn spotted us as they were going off at the end, he pointed a finger at me and said 'there she is, the scottish one' and was laughing. That means my disguise didn't work! (I had hair like Joe Walsh up until going to Oz, now it's very dark and much longer.) It was funny that he recognised me, most people don't!
    The guy next to us shouted at Joe for some picks and Bernie threw a load out from his pocket.

I'm so glad the extra dates in the US were announced as it was pretty sad thinking that the last shows were with such unenthusiastic crowds.
    I've bought tickets for Hartford after trying for 4 hours to get Miami or Baltimore, so hopefully see some of you there I'll probably buy some resale tickets for some others once I'm sure we can make them.

FP it was lovely to meet you, sorry we didn't get that drink afterwards.