Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macedon, AUS at Hanging Rock - 28 Feb. 2015

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Macedon, AUS at Hanging Rock - 28 Feb. 2015

Reading tweets that there was a big storm during the concert, and it was an outdoor concert. What a shame. There was lightning, and so they had to stop for a while. Some said they stopped after the 4th song. Also read that one of the screens nearly fell down due to the wind.

VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Macedon, AUS at Hanging Rock - 28 Feb. 2015

I put this in the Australia/New Zealand tour thread, but now I realize that Kasey was the opening act! Her father is the man on the right.

VK

A long range view of the concert area, the stage looks rather tiny from this distance!

VK

what a beautiful place!! how awful there was a storm during the concert...and no shelter for the people...hope it didn't last too long!...

Stuck on the Border

I hope noone disappeared.

Stuck on the Border

If anyone has heard of the film Picnic At Hanging Rock, this is where the (fictional) events took place.

I wonder if they did the HOTE show. Seems the outside shows in other countries were a different show. Can anyone tell us?

Usually I can tell by the length of time a concert is, and I see the ones before the concert starts and when it ends. With the delay, it was impossible to tell. Even if they had intended to do the full HOTE show, they may not have due to the delay.

I did see a lot of tweets from unhappy people that 1.5 hours after the end of the concert they were still sitting on a road and not moving. Very similar to the tweets I saw at the end of the Bethel, NY concert.
    VK

This was posted from a guy who didn't like the concert at all and thought the lightning was the best part (apparently they closed the bar early).

VK

Out on the Border

The Concert was memorable, that's for sure. The opening acts did their sets including Kasey and her father (pictured with Joe above).

The Eagles set began with the HOTE show. Up behind them, the clouds were rolling in and the lightning was putting on a display as well. The weather was still from the NE so I was not that worried. Introductions and great songs but the crowd was ooing and ahing at the lightning. I don't think the guys on stage were aware of what was happening behind them. Then with the whole group on stage and Don on drums, the wind changed direction and started from the south west. The alignment of the stage was to the north of the crowd.

The change came through like a jet plane. The big screen on the left of the stage broke it's lower moorings and started floating out over the audience. The road cases on the left started to fly across stage taking out the panel operators. Don looked up and saw the big projector screen on the back wall floating above him.

The Eagles ran. It was bucketing down and tarps were flying through the air.
    I found out later that Melbourne Airport recorded wind gusts of 122kph (75mph). The audience started getting up and evacuating too. I was about 50 metres from the stage and their were no cables etc near me so I stayed were I was. The onslaught lasted about ten minutes and then degenerated into just a storm and rain.

I don't know how long it was but the announcements came over that the band wanted to come back on but the stage need to be assessed. Water was everywhere. The left big screen was done for the night. The back screen was an unknown at this stage and the left speakers had problems. There was water everywhere and gear thrown about.

The roadies worked like the heroes they are and after about 40 minutes the band were back onstage. The back screen was working and now did the job of the left dead screen. The panel operators were having trouble with the sound and Joe Walsh did not appreciate the feedback he copped when he started singing. But the problems were short lived. Glen said that they were going to play until the end with no intermission, so the HOTE show was over. It became the guys doing what they do best and playing music.

My impression was the HOTE show was very choreographed and lacked emotion from what I saw. The unplanned interruption and the decision to just play the songs let the personalities become less restricted. The rain never let up all night and I think the guys appreciated the effort of the audience to stick it out. Joe came out of his shell a bit and seemed to enjoy himself. Timothy really seemed to put in effort. Don and Glen just were great performers. Bernie wasn't on stage enough.

I can't say if the set list changed as I hadn't been to any of the other shows. However, I don't think any of the other shows enjoyed Rock Mountain Way. We did. In the single encore! As Glen and Don were leaving the stage before the encore, they hesitated and started talking. I was wondering whether they were deciding to leave the stage or just keep going.

All in all; a great show by fantastic musicians doing what they must love to work in those conditions! And a very memorable concert!!

And it did take a long time to get away from the venue. So what! I had just seen the Eagles do a concert I am sure they will remember too! I think even Joe will remember this one.