Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Livin' Right

Default Re: Livin' Right

PM, I so agree with you! I have lost 10 pounds over the past six months or so, and it's all from moderation. Yes, I have been exercising more (walking, mostly), but I have not totally cut out the foods I love, just cut back on them. For example, where once I would eat an entire giant chocolate bar, now I'll just have a smaller version. I am such a chocoholic, and I make sure that I have a little bit each day. I am afraid if I totally deny myself chocolate, I will go nuts one day and eat everything chocolate in sight!

Stars, you're speakin' my language! Ahhh...chocolate! (ahem) in moderation, of course!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Wow Koala, a 20 lb. loss is great. Good for you!
    Thanks!
    I must agree too, I like to eat candy, pizza or other Fast Food but not to much, however I donīt eat chocolate since years.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

1. I hope I can draw inspiration from all your acheivements! I hate exercise too! And the mention of Dairy Queen-I just finished pigging out on a piece of DQ cake left over from my birthday last week. Thank goodness it's almost gone. I have to start exercising. I have gained sooo much weight over the past couple of years it is affecting my health . Please, keep the encouragement coming! Hopefully we can inspire each other .

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

GL, I'm pretty good at keeping after people. Just try to make some positive changes. For example, promise to walk for only 25 mins a day. A nice fast paced walk. It's not even a half hour. It gets you moving and you'll feel better about yourself. Also, try to cut out sweets and eat fruit in it's place. (Easier said than done) At first, I had to keep Hersey's Kisses in my house. I would allow myself two a day... usually after dinner, so I had something to look forward to. Now, I can actually do w/out dessert for days. Believe me when I say this is a true miracle. I am the world's best chocoholic. I LOVE and worship chocolate. However, I limit myself.

I started off by walking, because it is something that didn't require me going to the gym and I could do it whenever I had a half hour. There are often times I don't clean up after dinner and head straight out the door to walk... the dishes will still be there waiting for me, but I'll feel better about getting outside and moving. I'm lucky enough to have an eliptical machine at home, so I can hop on that whenever I want w/out going to the gym. My gym membership never got the workout it should have. I probably could start jogging at this point, but I'm not sure I want to. I just walk really really fast and often my legs end up hurting, but it's worth it.

If you want to, you CAN do it! Just start w/the little things.

I know - it's very, very hard. But it can be done. What's working for me is limiting what I eat in a day. I always eat a bowl of cereal and a banana every morning, then maybe I'll just have popcorn or a salad for lunch, and then usually fish or chicken for dinner, always with a vegetable. We eat a lot of pasta (I love pasta), but I make it with lighter sauces. Fortunately Hubby's tastes and mine are both changing as we get older. We don't eat very much red meat or bread anymore - we just don't crave it. We quit keeping potato chips and candy bars in the house several years ago. Now they are treats that we bring into the house two or three times a year. Instead I keep foil wrapped chocolate candy on hand and have one piece. If we want to munch on something it's either popcorn or a handful of nuts. And I cook meals at home much more than we go out to eat. That's very important.

I subscribed to Prevention magazine last year and found a wealth of information. I would recommend Prevention to anyone who is trying to live a more healthy life.
    ~ Cathy ~

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I'm talking about maybe once a day putting one piece of chocolate in your mouth and enjoying the smooth sweetness as it melts on your tongue
    PM, have you ever tried writing erotic fiction? I'd read it.

I have a pretty good diet (I'm a vegetarian and eat wholegrain stuff, lots of fruit, drink lots of water & herbal tea etc.) but I do have a weakness for chocolate. I'm lucky that I get a lot of exercise with my current job (a lot of fast walking), but I really need to get back to the gym. I've dropped a dress size in recent months though, so I know I'm on the right track.

It can be done - it's the motivation that's the hardest part!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

PM, that is so funny you mentioned Prevention. I've been on their website and today printed out a bunch of recipes. I think they have a walking plan I want to do too... in addition to my other exercising.

I start every single day with bran flakes and Kashi Go lean cereal with skim milk. I eat fruit for mid morning snack or almonds. I try to eat Brillia pasta plus if I'm eating pasta and most breads I eat are with whole grain.

I still eat my red meats, but I do so in moderation. I love fish, as a matter of fact I had talapia, broccoli and baked beans for dinner last night. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    PM, have you ever tried writing erotic fiction? I'd read it.

Troub - You have me laughing so hard I'm crying! I was just trying to emphasize the importance of really tasting and savoring your food!
    ~ Cathy ~

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Okay - when Soda mentioned the Livin' Right video, I was thinking to myself - well, Glenn had the incentive of all those nice young ladies to coax him into the gym.
    One in particular I guess Dreamer!!

Now, I don't like exercise either, but if Mr. Frey wants to start visiting the gym again, I maybe could be persuaded.
    I think I could be persuaded to as well.

After having my second child I went back to work fulltime for one more year before Laura started school. It was the busiest and toughest year of my life and all my food was of the 'fast' and 'quick fix' variety. A typical day meant 2 breakfasts, 3 chocolate bars, 2 bags of crisps and fast food dinner, not to mention lunch! needless to say the weight piled on to the point that some of me students (seriously) wanted to know was Number 3 on the way. That summer I too control of my diet and exercise, and lost 21 lbs in 3 months. For the most part it has stayed off but when I indulge too much the 'baby blob' starts to come back and I take it as a warning....

My biggest incentive was for the London gig and I went as low as 125lbs, but I've regained a bit since then. Lets see what I can do in 5 weeks 4 days.......

Mind you its VERY easy to exercise to a lot of Glenn s music!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP