Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What should Don's tour for Cass County be like?

Default Re: What should Don's tour for Cass County be like?

Don did a little country like version BOS for the Storytellers special. Maybe he can bring it back.

Well I do hope Don keep some of his hits in the show because even if the audience don't mind the new songs, they want to hear the old hits too. If Don have the time (which I don't think he does from now until September), like some said. Change up the old hits, but still have it still sounding close to the original.

I agree with small arena and auditoriums. I don't know if he can fill the very big arenas like the group does. He might even playing some festivals. I was still surprise with the festival in Texas since that was his first solo show(not counting the private shows we don't know about) since 2013

I just hope he comes to the south. I didn't get to see the HOTE shows which I hate, but I want to see Don in concert.

Banned

I've just addressed this over on the Busy Being Fabulous thread. Knowing Don's hired a pedal steel player, it opens the door for The Last Resort and Best Of My Love. I hope he plays a couple of Long Road Out Of Eden tracks.

I'm not sure how long Henley plays for but I reckon, a third hits, a third new material and a third eclectic would cover it.

In honour of the HOTE tour and Bernie's return, another Pedal Steel tune, Hollywood Waltz, would be an eclectic goodie.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've just addressed this over on the Busy Being Fabulous thread. Knowing Don's hired a pedal steel player, it opens the door for The Last Resort and Best Of My Love. I hope he plays a couple of Long Road Out Of Eden tracks.

I'm not sure how long Henley plays for but I reckon, a third hits, a third new material and a third eclectic would cover it.

In honour of the HOTE tour and Bernie's return, another Pedal Steel tune, Hollywood Waltz, would be an eclectic goodie.
    Judging by setlist.fm, about 16-17 songs is par for the course.

I don't think Best of My Love would work at a solo show, so much of it relies on the backing harmonies and I believe Don himself has said he doesn't like how it translates live. The Last Resort I could feasibly see happening, it would certainly be better suited to a Henley solo vice Eagles gig. I would also agree with Hollywood Waltz, it would certainly fit in with the general theme of Cass County by the sound of it. Alas I think it is too rare a cut for it to be a likely choice.

Border Rebel

I would love to see him sing The Last Resort. It's not an easy song to sing, though, and he is getting older. I shouldn't doubt his ability, though - he still sounds pretty awesome!

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I would love to see him sing The Last Resort. It's not an easy song to sing, though, and he is getting older. I shouldn't doubt his ability, though - he still sounds pretty awesome!
    It always strikes me as more of a spoken than sang song - it only really picks up from 'Who will provide the grand design?...'. If Don can still hit the high notes in One of These Nights and hold that note at the end of Desperado then I believe he can still handle The Last Resort

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

My uncle and I were talking about this some, last night. He said that, given what he's heard about the album from me, he can't see Don playing huge arenas. He thinks that older sounding country being played in a 10,000+ set arena. (This is coming from a guy who grow up hearing the early country stars because of the 78s his parents owned).
    In some ways, I agree. I think that it depends upon how much new material is added to the set list. I would think that Don would leave in at least 5 or so of his big hits (BOS, Dirty Laundry,EOTI, Heart of the Matter, and (I hope) New York Minute etc). For casual fans, that's what they came to hear. Heck, some of them might not even know that he has a new album out! I also would assume that he would do a few Eagles songs. I think that if Don did a 50/50 deal (50% Eagles/solo hits and 50% new or deep cuts) then he could probably do well in a an arena atmosphere. The hits are what draws the crowd.

I just hope that more people than us hardcore fans (I guess I'm hardcore) want to hear the album and songs.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm hoping he does not play The Last Resort.

I know in 2009, he played places like the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, which is a smaller arena, but not real small. I can't remember their concert size, but I'd guess something like 7k to 8k.

I think/hope he'll do a good mix of Eagles stuff and solo hits. If we are to believe what the head of Capitol Records thinks, the new songs will be so good and be hits, so everyone will want to hear them. It just may take some time for them to catch on. Maybe that's why no dates for a tour have been announced yet? Maybe there will be a bit of a wait?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Aren't shows announced at least 2-3 months in advance? (Forgive me, I'm not familiar with shows). I'm thinking that if Sept. 18th is the release date (has that been confirmed? ), then October would be when he would do a tour. I wonder if he'll do a decent sized tour,(maybe 20 dates)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Aren't shows announced at least 2-3 months in advance? (Forgive me, I'm not familiar with shows). I'm thinking that if Sept. 18th is the release date (has that been confirmed? ), then October would be when he would do a tour. I wonder if he'll do a decent sized tour,(maybe 20 dates)
    It seems to vary on when things are announced. As for how many shows, I have no doubts he'll drip feed them a leg at a time, and the total amount will vary on ticket sales and popularity of the new songs. One reason for this, IMO, is if the first few tour legs are well received, he can command a better deal (not necessarily just money) on the later dates. Just an opinion.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I saw an article that Don might be doing 20 dates. The question is how he is going to do that because 20 dates can easily be done in a month. Or spread it out.