Page 228 of 302 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 3014

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Lacken, that is too funny about your parents! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time though!

I'm not really affected by this flood, but I know a lot of people that are. My sister's house didn't get any water in it, but her neighbors did. Her yard was covered, but after the water went down, you couldn't hardly even tell it had been over it! Lucky!

Some friends nearly 20 miles away own a trailer park and it was flooded when a levee broke Saturday night. Everyone there (40 homes and about 100 people) lost nearly everything. It was all very unexpected and happened very quickly. The last time that area flooded (1993) they got most of the trailers moved out. If you are my friend on Fb, I have pictures of the area.

Also an old iron bridge that was built in 1910 came down in another area about 5 miles from where I live. It wasn't used a lot, but had been maintained. It's sad that an old relic like that is now gone. I have pics of it on Fb, too.

It's amazing what water can do when it gets out of control!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I've seen most of the pics, I think. With my JAG marathon continuing, I haven't had much time for Facebook! I'm glad your sister escaped unscathed. Do you have a lot more rain in the forecast? Oddly for us, we haven't had an overage of rain. I know back in DC they are saying it's the third wettest June on record, and people are making ark references on Facebook.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

It all changes from here. In the last week, my younger son has finished (high) school, gone to Glastonbury and is about to go on his first independent holiday (ie without anybody's parents). At the end of the summer he should be off to university. In the middle of this, I took my elder son to the airport so he could fly to the US to work for the summer (J1 visa). I'm hoping he gets it out of his system and will choose to work in the UK when he graduates next year. It makes me wonder how my parents felt when 3 of 4 children moved overseas (I was the one who stayed).

Compared with floods and ageing parents, this is easy stuff, so I'm fortunate.

UTW, it's a big thing!! It's one of those things that's good and bad. You raised them to be the fine young people they are and have a lot to be proud of. And yet...the nest is feeling empty.
    VK

UtW, that must be hard to see them leave and go overseas! At least it's just for the summer, so far. I remember when my daughter packed up her car and moved to Texas all by herself. It was very hard to see her moving that far away. Overseas, I can't even imagine! Good luck to both of your sons. Life changes for all of you, for sure.

VA, we've had the wettest June on record and rain is in the forecast every day for the next week, still! Looks like it's going to be one of those summers. It's hard to even get the yard mowed and have it look nice. If you don't mow wet, it's a hayfield. If you mow wet, it leaves muddy tracks. It's driving my hubby crazy! He dotes on the yard and flowers.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Brooke, I'm in the same boat as your husband. I do most of the outside work around here, and every time I think about mowing the grass, it starts raining. . It's been like this for a week. The grass almost knee high!

I have something that I might do. Occasionally, I post "rants" of various subjects on Facebook. Basically, just whatever is on my mind at the time. I posted one last night. Well, a friend(mom of a childhood friend) said that she loves my style of writing and my way with words. She suggested that I write a book. I literally started laughing at the idea. I've never considered writing to be one of my strong points. I don't think that my writing (grammar, etc) is good enough for a book.
    For the heck of it, I decided to ask all of FB friends what they thought. Several of them believe that I should write an autobiography. Why, I really don't know. Granted, I've faced challenges and obstacles that few kids face. However, I'm just a 19 y/o without alot real life experiences! I thought that autobiographies or memoirs were for people who had done something important or were famous! I mean, who's going to want to read it? Maybe i'm blind, but I don't really see much reason for a no name, extremely young person like myself, to do this.
    Well, my friend has decided to help me by buying me a notebook(one of those old subject books I used in school) and writing materials. I'd use a computer, but I don't have much access without my mom around (she'd scoff at the idea and then proceed to make fun of me for doing this). I will eventually type it on a computer, though, and make it into a file. She really wants me to do this, so I'll give it a shot.
    I can see myself writing short stories, like I've done in the past. I don't think that I could see myself writing for a living. If I ever get my lazy butt in college, I'll most likely major in some form of history. At least it'll give me something to do.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I will be going to Silverstone this weekend to watch the British Grand Prix. I'm really looking forward to it, I'm hoping for a great race. Even if the racing isn't brilliant though Silverstone is a very historic racing track and remains one of the best circuits on the calendar with its challenging high speed corners contrasting with some of the dull, sterile modern new build tracks. I will be sitting between the Luffield and Woodcote corners (you get to see a lot of the cars there as they have to negotiate a complex before accelerating down the following straight). These corners are denoted on the circuit map shown on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverstone_Circuit

I will be staying at a hotel fairly close to the circuit, about 15 miles away, but as I cannot be sure I will have internet access this is the cause of the probable delay in the Battle of the Bands.

I have been several times before - qualifying in 2007, funnily enough before I really got into F1, then once I was a fan I saw the races from 2008-2011 and again in 2013, but this is the first time I will see both the qualifying sessions and the race live. I have been lucky enough to see Lewis Hamilton win his home race in 2008 and am hoping he can match that achievement. I also like Jenson Button, but he usually struggles at Silverstone, and this year's McLaren-Honda isn't a winning machine by any stretch of the imagination so he'll be lucky to finish the race.

Have a good time, JCL!!!
    VK

Have fun , JCL! I don't know much about racing, but it's a popular thing in America, for sure!

I have a day off tomorrow and will probably do my chores that would have been done on Saturday since it's the 4th of July. Clean, grocery shop, etc. Fun times! lol

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    GA - hope things are going ok with your dad. Your mum will be home before you know it.

Brooke - hope the flood situation hasn't gotten any worse.
    We had floods near our house in 2009 as we live by the river Shannon and my dad refused to leave the house, so my parents ended up being evacuated by the army where they lifted my dad who was in a wheelchair, into the back of an army truck!!
    And the whole thing was captured by the television news so everyone saw them - its funny now Thankfully we didn't have as much damage as the other houses around us.
    I remember seeing those pics on the TV Lacken!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP