Thread: Livin' Right

Default Re: Livin' Right

It was a great idea, HB!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Thank you PM! I loved doing it for such great people!

You are sharing those with your sweet better half, right?

But of course! He doesn't have the sweet tooth I do, though!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've been thinking about nutrition and healthy living over the past week. (I always do around summertime). Then, I find out that there's a thread on here for it. Granted it's been almost 2 years since someone posted in it, but I can revive it.

Well here's my story/situation

Eating right:
    I grew up lower middle class/poor. I received free breakfast and lunch at school. The food itself was ok/good. Nutrition wise, it was probably subpar, but it's all I had to eat, so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth(meaning I didn't complain). To me, food was food and I was grateful for it.
    My mom is very overweight. I never saw nor tasted many veggies or fruits at home. My dad wouldn't eat any veggies. From what people have told me, my eating habits as a baby/toddler were not appropriate for my age. I grew up eating southern food, and I love it. My mom cooked almost every night, but it was standard American food (burgers, tacos, meatloaf, spaghetti etc). There was no variety. It was the same food on a weekly basis. I never questioned it because if I did, I wouldn't get any supper (yup even in the 21st century that punishment is still around). Basically, it was eat whatever mom made. Occasionally,(a couple times a month), we'd have fend nights, and I'd eat whatever was around that I wanted.
    By middle school, I was set in my ways. I didn't want to try new thinhgs. My parents let me drink soda alot, and eventually, I got addicted. 10 years later, and I'm still drinking soda daily. My uncle tried to intervene (which my mom was against), and he did manage to get me liking some fruit and vegetables.
    He got me thinking about nutrition, and wanting to make a few changes to my diet (ie: less fried foods). By the time I dropped out of school, I found out that was moderately allergic to wheat. (I can eat a sandwich a day without problems). My mom didn't care(or didn't understand ) and she would still buy stuff fill of wheat and expect me to eat it! We've always been on a budget, and since wgeat free products are more expensive, I have to put up with migraine like headaches.
    I've made some suggestions to my mom about eating better, but it falls on deaf ears. My mom is very controlling, and she controls the grocery list, so I can't get what I'd like to have. Even now, she still won't budge much. I can choose my snack food and my "fend" meals. Unfortunately, our budget doesn't allow much good food. I have to eat a lotof processed stuff. I practically live on luncheon meat. Land meat (beef pork chicken) those 3 are the only kinds of meat my mom buys for us. I can't cook much because of a physical disability, so I eat whatever she cooks.

Exercise/health:
    Until I was a teenager, I played outside daily at school. Then, I no longer had recess. I had no friends and by that time, my brother had left, so I had no one to play with. Then my mom got DSL internet connection, and I forgot about the great outdoors.
    Now, I'm couch(well bedroom) potato. It's not that I dislike exercising, it's that its too hot, or my disability keeps me from exercising, or something else. Suffice it to say that I don't get encouragement about hardly anything from my mom. In fact, I usually get the opposite.
    Actually, in the summertime I loose weight because I sweat so much in bedroom. There's no central a/c, so my room usually gets up to 90 F and I sweat so much, doing nothing.

I'd love to change things, but it's just not feasible now. I have some horrible digestive problems that never got resolved. I know that I have have GERD since before I became a teenager. I'm sure that whatever is wrong with my digestive tract is probably related to my extremely poor diet as a kid. Whatever it is, I lost 25 pounds in a month without trying. (Not good I know). I find that I have no energy and feel extremely weak. According to my mom, I've had it for several years, so it's not life threatening. (Semi nice way of saying suck it up buttercup ).

Anyways, sorry for the essay. I just thought that I'd talk about my experiences with trying to maintain health.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time