Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Prince has died

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Prince has died

And Ray Charles. Good grief. When Glenn played Worried Mind at the Sydney Opera House he introduced it by saying that 'in 1965 Ray Charles made an album which scandalised a lot of white folks' (Modern Sounds In Country & Western, which includes Worried Mind).

And Prince would not exist without the great Jimi Hendrix.

To me Bowie was more influential world wide than Prince; perhaps Americans didn't see so much of the British coverage.

No buildings were lit up for Glenn & as for Rolling Stone, they did their four pages. They are done with it.

It is true that because Glenn was in a band he wasn't as well known, especially given that his solo career barely rated a mention.

UTW, I remember Glenn making that comment about Living In Darkness.

Prince would most likely agree with that sentiment but I understand why there have been more tributes to him than Glenn, Prince was more well known, Influenced a lot of people, etc.

With Prince, he crossed that boundary of every race loving his music. Not just blacks loved his music, but other race loved his music. Even though the Eagles had fans of every generation and they were still huge before Glenn's death, they didn't cross that boundary like Prince did and even Michael Jackson(for example). David kinda did do that with his Young American album. Every race loved Prince. So yes. Prince is more popular than David and Glenn.

Its sad to say. Glenn will always be known for his time in the Eagles than his solo career. He will be known more for his work with the Eagles then his solo career. That's the disadvantage of being in a band. If you do go solo, your career in a band will overshadow your solo career. There's only a few artist who started in a band and went solo that will be known for their solo career.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 04-22-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    With Prince, he crossed that boundary of every race loving his music. Not just blacks loved his music, but other race loved his music. Even though the Eagles had fans of every generation and they were still huge before Glenn's death, they didn't cross that boundary like Prince did and even Michael Jackson(for example). David kinda did do that with his Young American album. Every race loved Prince. So yes. Prince is more popular than David and Glenn.

Its sad to say. Glenn will always be known for his time in the Eagles than his solo career. He will be known more for his work with the Eagles then his solo career. That's the disadvantage of being in a band. If you do go solo, your career in a band will overshadow your solo career. There's only a few artist who started in a band and went solo that will be known for their solo career.
    So how would you rank Don? Of course he will always be known first & foremost as an Eagle but he is a pretty successful solo artist.
    I was never a huge Prince fan but I did love Darlin Nikki. I have heard he was "difficult" to deal with. Kind of makes Don seem like a kitty cat in comparasion.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow! - what a shame this is! I have to agree that 2016 has been a horrific year for the music industry. Although I wasn't a hardcore fan, I did like a few of his songs - When Doves Fly was my favorite. My heart goes out to all of Prince's family, friends, and fans. May he rest in peace.

I don't want to be disrespectful because this is a time to be mourning his loss. However, I will say that with respect to the amount of 'news' coverage that I am baffled. As an untrained musician, I don't get how his talent and influence justifies the disproportionate coverage as compared to others who have recently passed. To me, this is more about the nonobjectivity and salaciousness of the media than it is about Prince, so I just have to roll my eyes. Sadly, there is a fine line between mainstream media and tabloid media these days and this is just one more example.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That's why I'm glad that the Eagles kept their private lives pretty much private. I'm glad their kids got to grow up without the 24/7 media coverage.

Look at the lengths Michael Jackson took to keep his kids out of the spotlight. He sadly passed now there are everywhere.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Wow! - what a shame this is! I have to agree that 2016 has been a horrific year for the music industry. Although I wasn't a hardcore fan, I did like a few of his songs - When Doves Fly was my favorite. My heart goes out to all of Prince's family, friends, and fans. May he rest in peace.

I don't want to be disrespectful because this is a time to be mourning his loss. However, I will say that with respect to the amount of 'news' coverage that I am baffled. As an untrained musician, I don't get how his talent and influence justifies the disproportionate coverage as compared to others who have recently passed. To me, this is more about the nonobjectivity and salaciousness of the media than it is about Prince, so I just have to roll my eyes. Sadly, there is a fine line between mainstream media and tabloid media these days and this is just one more example.
    oh I totally agree. I'm barely in facebook now because of this same thing. yes he was very talented and he brought a lot of good times with his music. I was definitely in awe of him. but with them reporting HOW he died and all this I'm like I don't wanna hear it. a family lost someone dear to them. the music industry lost an icon and the fans lost someone very important to them. it's not about how he left its about respecting his memory. but the media doesn't think of that. they gotta make their money somehow...

That's what I said earlier. This is more of digging into his life to see what led to him dying so young.

To the media, David and Glenn's deaths didn't have anything juicy about it. Remembered how they were trying to say the drugs Glenn was taking might had led to his death, but its interested that nothing else was said after that. I'm glad it didn't go any further.

I feel bad for Prince's family and his memory. The media will find something negative from his death. Like I said earlier, maybe its good Glenn and even David didn't have that much media on their deaths. Look what's going on with Prince. Its such a shame.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    That's what I said earlier. This is more of digging into his life to see what led to him dying so young.

To the media, David and Glenn's deaths didn't have anything juicy about it. Remembered how they were trying to say the drugs Glenn was taking might had led to his death, but its interested that nothing else was said after that. I'm glad it didn't go any further.

I feel bad for Prince's family and his memory. The media will find something negative from his death. Like I said earlier, maybe its good Glenn and even David didn't have that much media on their deaths. Look what's going on with Prince. Its such a shame.
    it is. it really is. I remember Chyna was popular back in her day, and they did not hesitate to put her business out there. but she was definitely overshadowed with Prince. it's a shame cause I used to watch her a lot

2016 has not been kind to the music industry at all . I believe if I were a famous musician , I would be a bit paranoid .
    While not his biggest fan , I enjoyed a lot of Princes music and the man could flat out shred that guitar !
    RIP Prince Roger Nelson