Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Business As Usual

Default Re: Business As Usual

I tend to agree with that assumption about the "division of labor" between Don and Steuart Smith. You know, he has become "the fifth Eagle" in all but name. He not only plays with them live, he plays on their latest studio album and has even co-written Eagles songs.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    I love the 'soul-suckin' part too. In fact I love the whole chorus. The verses are also intelligent and make you think. This song is another example of Don's brilliant ability to make political commentary interesting.

I realize he cowrote this with Stewart Smith, but I think he probably is responsible for all the lyrics on this one since Smith is the guitarist they hired to replace Felder so I'm assuming his contribution would be more musical.
    I'm afraid I can't buy in to your assumption that Don wrote all the lyrics here, HD. Unfortunately, the LROOE liner notes or credits don't give us any insight into this, so I am always reluctant to make assumptions about who wrote what. We know almost nothing about Steuart's songwriting abilities, so he may be perfectly capable of writing or at least co-writing great lyrics.

And, for the record, I am another one that likes this song alot. I think it is very underrated.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I don't claim to know for sure, and I understand your reluctance to assume anything. You're right that it's impossible to tell. That's why I included the part about why I thought it was probably Don as opposed to insisting it must be Don. I recognize I could be wrong. I wasn't trying to compliment Don at the expense of Smith. Let's just say both of them are great.
    ~Sara

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HD - I hope you didn't take offense or view my post as being critical because I didn't mean it that way at all. I understood what you were saying and appreciate that you made it clear that you were just speculating. Any of us here has a right to speculate about these kinds of things. And, of course, as we both acknowledged, none of us knows for sure how these guys go about writing songs. I sure wish we did have more insight into this, so they didn't keep us guessing all the time. You might be dead on with your opinion, but I just thought it was fair to present another side - strictly for the sake of good discussion.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

Here the band sounds rather tired. Even the 'whoah whoahs', though I like them, sound tired. It's like an outtake from Inside Job.

The lyric is all over the place. What does the 'prettiest White House' part have to do with the rest of the song except that it's a 'monument to arrogance', I guess. And all that 'grinding away'.... it must be so hard to be a multimillionaire.

It isn't that I don't LIKE the song, but out of all Don's tracks on this album, this is the one I'd discard first.
    I was listening to Inside Job and it occurred to me that Miss Ghost sounds almost EXACTLY like Business As Usual. The melody is almost exactly the same. I dug around on here and of course, you guys discussed this already..but the similarity was quite astonishing. I wonder if this and/or any other LROOE tracks were rejects for solo projects that were reworked for the album...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I was listening to Inside Job and it occurred to me that Miss Ghost sounds almost EXACTLY like Business As Usual. The melody is almost exactly the same. I dug around on here and of course, you guys discussed this already..but the similarity was quite astonishing. I wonder if this and/or any other LROOE tracks were rejects for solo projects that were reworked for the album...
    I don't remember Miss Ghost. Have to check it out. In which thread where it was discussed? I can try to use the "search", but usually I find nothing even when I know it exists.

I meant this thread on Business As Usual...as it was discussed that it sounded like an outtake from Inside Job.

Stuck on the Border

Ah, how stupid of me. You even quoted the post! Not sure if Freypower was thinking about similar melodies or musical style in general. I didn't notice the similarity, but it's probably because the chords beneath the melody are different.

Yep, they do sound similar. Though Miss Ghost has a slower, more bluesy groove and is far superior to the caustic-but-still mundane Business As Usual, IMO. I don’t know about it originally being a reject from Inside Job. Maybe it was a sub-conscious re-working of MG itself.

I realize the comment was made years ago but I cannot agree the “monuments to arrogance” was referring to the White House, which was built in 1792.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Yep, they do sound similar. Though Miss Ghost has a slower, more bluesy groove and is far superior to the caustic-but-still mundane Business As Usual, IMO. I don’t know about it originally being a reject from Inside Job. Maybe it was a sub-conscious re-working of MG itself.

I realize the comment was made years ago but I cannot agree the “monuments to arrogance” was referring to the White House, which was built in 1792.
    Probably this.