Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Tech Shootings

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Virginia Tech Shootings

This is a real tragedy here in my home state. I just went downstairs for lunch and the TV in our cafeteria had this on "Breaking News." I am posting a link to CNN. Just while I was typing this, the report has been updated. When I first started typing, they were reporting 1 person killed and at least 17 wounded. Just moments ago, CNN updated their site and the latest report is that at least 20 people are dead. I'm pretty sure they are mostly or all students. I know a lot of friends that have children and grandchildren at the University and I haven't been able to reach anyone. Everyone please keep us in your thoughts. This comes on the heels of a bomb threat at the University on Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I will do so. Absolutely horrifying. Why do people do these kind of things?!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I heard about this when I got in from work. What an appalling tragedy. I wondered if it was near you, Kay, and am even more saddened to hear that some of your friends have students there. Please God none of them have been killed, but what grief for those families that have been affected.

Tightening gun laws does not seem to be the answer as we have found after the Dunblane killings. There are now more unlicensed guns than ever in Britain, and in parts of London recently there have been a series of gun and knife killings involving young teenagers. I just don't know what we can do to prevent these tragic events.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Kay, I thought of you immediately. It's hard not to be affected by something of this magnitude. How terrifying and horrible.

I'm sure we're all thinking about or praying for the kids and the families and everyone touched by this.

Keep us updated, Kay.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Hey, Dreamer, what an awful event. I've just put CNN and am beginning to see the magnitude of it. We will keep you, your families and friends in our thoughts and our prayers.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I instantly thought 'Kay is in Virginia'. This is horrendous, reminiscent of what happened in Tasmania in 1996 when 35 people were shot.

My thoughts are with everyone and their families at this tragic time.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone and their families
    So goodbye rodeo, it's a long funny way for a man to go...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks everyone for your kind words and thoughts. It has been a very long day. As most of you probably know, there are now 33 casualties, and over 20 wounded in this senseless tragedy. I still have three friends that I haven't heard from that have children at the school. The names of the victims have not been released, so the waiting for news has been pretty excruiating. Thankfully, the children of my friends that I have heard from are safe, although they are, obviously, very shaken. Hopefully, we will get more information tomorrow.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm so sorry to read about this tragedy, Dreamer. My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone touched by this horrific event. The crime rate in South Africa, as I'm sure you've heard, is quite high, and we know what it's like to live in fear of what could happen from day-to-day.

All this slaughtering of human life - what for? What is our world coming to?? As cliched as that might sound, it has never been more relevant.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    All this slaughtering of human life - what for? What is our world coming to?? As cliched as that might sound, it has never been more relevant.
    Very true. I was watching news channels until the wee hours last night while I was finishing grading. There was one segment where a girl was being interviewed only a short time after the police had told her that her friend, whom she had been inquiring after all day, was one of the victims. It was hard to watch. I can't imagine having to LIVE it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten