Thread: Pet food recall

Default Pet food recall

Ok here is the scoop.. for anyone in North America, I wanted to make sure you were aware of an important pet food recall that was issued over the weekend.

You may have heard about the recall on the news. Menu Foods, an Ontario-based company, said Saturday it was recalling dog and cat food sold under 48 brands at major retailers in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

For a complete list of the pet foods that have been recalled, please visit this website:

http://menufoods.com/recall/index.html

If your pet has eaten any of the recalled foods, you should watch for the following signs of illness:

Lethargy, depression
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea
    Excessive water consumption
    Excessive urination
    Little or no urination
    If you have been feeding any of the recently recalled pet food or are unsure of the pet food your pet is eating, Humane Society veterinarians recommended that you change your pet’s diet immediately and contact your veterinarian. Some of the complications that can occur with sudden diet change include:

1) Refusal to eat the new diet. If you experience this problem with your dog, sometimes adding a small amount of water or low fat, low sodium chicken broth to moisten a dry diet, or a small amount of garlic powder (not salt) will help increase the smell, taste and palatability of the new food. If your cat refuses to eat a new diet for more than 24 hours, contact your veterinarian immediately.

2) Diarrhea. This may occur within a matter of hours and persist for several days if not treated. If diarrhea does not resolve within 24-48 hours (shorter duration for young animals and small/toy breeds), contact your veterinarian immediately to discuss treatment options.

As always, if you have any concerns about the health of your pet, contact your veterinarian.
    Sorry for the somewhat gruesome post But I felt it was important that evert pet owner be aware.

Thanks, TF. Several of my friends have also forwarded me this info.
    I have fed Muffin Special Kitty cat food before so I checked, but the recall seems to be the 3 oz size, and we buy the big bag of hard cat chow. I have been watching Muffin carefully for any signs of illness, but so far, she is as frisky as ever!

Oh dear, that sounds dreadful. I wonder what the contaminant was to cause such nasty symptoms?

I'm glad Muffin is ok, df.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

yeah I freaked when my Dad told that the brands of wet cat food (we use 2 different ones) were on the list... but for Midori foods, it's just the treat pouches that have been affected so she is fine running around the house hehehehe she even got two dinners last night cause she kept complaining ( do you think my cat is spoiled )