Thread: There's a Hole In The World Tonight

Default There's a Hole In The World Tonight

Well, I open this topic for talking about all tragedies that happen in the world.

I remember that a my friend called me from New York on September 11th 2001, and described at the phone the situation. It was Auwful.

In These Days here's in Italy we're talking about "abolition of the death penalty",what You think about that?

So...

P.S.
    Yesterday I read about four people that they paid their crimes with death penalty on Christmas.
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

Stuck on the Border

That's the first time you've said that you're in Italy!

Australia doesn't have the death penalty. I have always been opposed to it. I always say they should be in jail for life to think about what they've done. If it IS going to be used it should only be for the worst, most horrific cases of multiple murder. The problem is that everyone who has lost someone to murder will say that the killer deserves to die. I understand this but the line has to be drawn somewhere. If, for instance, the perpetrator of the Port Arthur massacre in Australia which killed 35 people had been executed, I suppose I would not have had a problem with that despite my opposition. I had no problem with Saddam Hussein receiving the dealth penalty. But overall, I think Australia is a better country for not having it.

NB: people in America, this is not meant as criticism of America. The culture there is very different.

I am for the death penalty in extreme cases where there is definite proof of guilt. There's a reason why most families who have had loved ones killed feel that the murderer deserves to die, and it's a valid one, IMHO. As far as deterrence goes - I think that if the death penalty deters even one murder, it's worth it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think the death penalty and abortion are probably two of the most difficult and controversial issues that we face in modern society because they both involve the taking of human life. I have very mixed feelings about both, and I can very clearly understand both sides of the arguments on these issues. One of the things that I think is most interesting is that it would seem that most people would be either for both or against both. However, that does not often seem to be the case. I l am pro-choice on the abortion issue whereas I lean toward being against the death penalty. In many ways, I think the greater penalty for a murderer may be to live out their life imprisoned.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

In Italy there isn't the Death Penalty. But sometimes I agree with the death penalty, anyway....
    http://www.wired.com/entertainment/t.../2006/04/70622
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO