Thread: The Dec8 1976 concert in Champaign Urbana is not listed

Out on the Border

Default The Dec8 1976 concert in Champaign Urbana is not listed

Hey all:
    I was a student at University of Illinois when the Eagles opened for the Marshall Tucker Band on THE DAY that the HOTEL CALIFORNIA album was released. The Eagles new sound was so "electric" we went crazy and roaring with cheers.

I remember after the stage change in the flying saucer ASSEMBLY HALL the major act THE MARSHALL TUCKER BAND played. Although very popular with hits of their own ("I heard it in a love song, can't be wrong...") it sounded like they were playing in mollassas after that EAGLES opening act. We started booing, playing the role of rude guests to the MTB. I remember they said something like "come on, The Eagles are a great band but we're good too..." but that didn't stop us.

I don't think any of us meant to be booing or yelling out for the eagles. It was that The Eagles just sounded like a rocket ride to rock n roll heaven.

I tried today to look for the concert online in the search engines but zippo. I think it might have been a student entertainment management group STAR COURSE, or something like that, who booked the bands.

REALLY it was the highlight of my 5 years there in the architecture school.

Can this concert date get confirmed and put up on the HOME page?

Also, just caught a March1977 video of the HOTEL CALIFORNIA tour in DC online and I think it was Joe Walsh wearing an ILLINOIS sweat shirt ... so that was just 3 months after the concert.

The 1:59 mark far left side in the utube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djFsoBquHJo

Cheers,
    Illinois kid jaykay, now living in Brisbane Australia

Default Re: The Dec8 1976 concert in Champaign Urbana is not listed

Hi Jaykay and welcome to the Border. It sounds like that was a great show! I looked up that date in the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology and it doesn't appear, unfortunately. But at least you have your memories.

Btw, that link isn't working in the U.S. but you're right about Joe's Illinois sweatshirt.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's awesome. Are you sure the Eagles opened for the Marshall Tucker Band though? Wouldn't it have been the other way around. The Eagles were much more successful and popular.

Out on the Border

Thanks for the responses.

Do you think Joe Walsh would remember? Absolutley POSITIVE the Eagles opened for MTB. (turns out that in 1974, the MTB opened for the Eagles in Champaign-Urbana and the Eagles got booed for playing only slow-by-comparison acoustic sets as the main act). BTW Joe will return to Champaign-Urbana in 2017 touring with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers ... maybe November.

I graduated in Jan1977, so I am sure the concert occurred in that narrow window of the album release and 1st of January. I remember skiing in the Rockies in late January 1977, and telling a ski lift operator at the top, that the skiing felt like the new Eagles song "Life In The Fast Lane".

She had no idea what I was talking about!

The utube video is special because it essentially captures the concert and the band as we saw them in Dec1976. The video title on utube:
    https://goo.gl/rM6mFj is "
    The Eagles Live 1977 Full Concert HD (The Capital Centre)" uploaded by Music Home. Just uploaded in Mar2017 so it may not last long if it is a copyright infringement ... but SOOO special.

Also, checked out the Randy Meisner concert list and have a potential correction/addition that I can support via the Illio annual yearbook that shows the Marshall Tucker Band played with The Eagles and it mentions the gentle acousitc sets of The Eagles concert that day (and the booing of The Eagles). Randy does NOT MENTION the MTB as "Also Performing".

Ironically, I can not provide the same Illio support for the Dec8th 1976 concert I am chatting about!! How strange... it is as if it did not happen. I know they played Hotel California that day. Was I on another timeline??? haha where is Dr Who when you need him.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Jaykay; 04-11-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Out on the Border

Default January 1976 concerts in Japan and Australia

I found a webpage that lists 1 concert in Australia as:
    Hordern Pavilion, Sydney AU 26th Jan 1976.
    http://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-...html?year=1976

The same page lists 6 concerts in Japan as:
    02 & 03 Feb 1976 in Festival Hall, Osaka
    plus 04 Feb 1976 in Kyuden Kinen Taiikukan, Fukuoka
    plus 05 Feb 1976 in Kokusai Kaikan, Kobe
    plus 07 Feb 1976 in Nippon Budokan, Tokyo
    plus 09 Feb 1976 in Nagoya-Shi Kokaido, Nagoya

Then on another webpage (AMAZON) just found a 6 Nov 1976 live concert recording at The Summit in Houston TX.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Summit.../dp/B01BH0OFNE
    scroll down to Top Customer Reviews