Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Cafe

Stuck on the Border

Default Sad Cafe

A recent interview with JD got me thinking of this song. I've seen it dismissed as being too lke "The Last Resort" but I disagree as it's far more personal and for me, that makes it better.
    A&B: You wrote important pages on the Eagles discography. Is there a song that you love more than others?
    J.D. Souther: Yes. “The Sad Café” seems more poignant, of course, with Glenn Frey sadly gone, but there are more reasons than that for my affection there.
    I had never played that song on stage until about three years ago and the emotional impact it had on the audience and on me was surprising. Some nights the verse after the first bridge takes me by surprise and I have to sing past the lump in my throat because tears are threatening. It’s more emotional for me now than ever before. Frey, Henley, Souther, and Walsh reflecting on the loss of our own innocence following the death of a friend back then, in the days when we thought we would all live forever. I can see the film in my head.
    link

A reminder of the lyrics (thanks to Soda):

The Sad Cafe
    written: D. Henley, G. Frey, J. Walsh, and J.D. Souther
    lead vocal: D. Henley

Out in the shining night
    The rain was softly falling
    The tracks that ran down the boulevard
    Had all been washed away

Out of the silver light
    The past came softly calling
    And I remember the times we spent
    Inside the sad cafe

Oh, it seemed like a holy place
    Protected by amazing grace
    And we would sing right out loud
    The things we could not say
    We thought we could change this world
    With words like love and freedom
    We were part of the lonely crowd
    Inside the sad cafe

Oh, expecting to fly
    We would meet on that beautiful shore in the sweet by and by

Some of their dreams came true
    Some just passed away
    And some of them stayed behind
    Inside the sad cafe

The clouds rolled in and hid that shore
    Now that glory train, it don’t stop here no more
    Now I look at the years gone by
    And wonder at the powers that be
    I don’t know why fortune smiles on some
    And lets the rest go free

Maybe the time has drawn the faces I recall
    But things in this life change very slowly
    If they ever change at all
    There’s no use in asking why
    It just turned out that way
    So meet me at midnight, baby
    Inside the sad cafe
    Why don’t you meet me at midnight, baby
    Inside the sad cafe

As for who was the friend who died, the answer is in the liner notes: "
    This song is respectfully dedicated to the memory of John Barrick."

A few years ago, after seeing the doc, I asked who was the seventh person on the infamous Joshua Tree expedition and the Borderers came through and even found a couple of pictures from the doc. This was John Barrick.

As part of the promotion for The Long Run album, Don and Glenn did an interview with Jim Ladd and Glenn elaborated on the liner note. He explained that John Barrick had been their first road manager and that he'd previously worked for The Byrds. He used to work at The Troubadour and would tell Glenn about his days with The Byrds as well as giving Glenn good advice (and free beer!)

Default Re: Sad Cafe

Thanks for the info about John Barrick, UtW. I didn't know any of that. I never thought of "Sad Cafe" being too much like "The Last Resort" but I suppose the basic melodies are somewhat similar and they are both slow, melancholy songs about regret and loss. Interesting.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

That's a great post UtW.

The Sad Cafe is an overlooked gem in the Eagles cannon as it's a ballad and it's sung mainly by Henley. They already had plenty of brilliant, Henley sung, ballads under their belt, when it was released in 1979.

IMO it's fantastic lyrically but musically, it retreads old ground. I was delighted to see JD adopt the song. His, more jazzy, version of The Sad Cafe is wonderful.

I'd love to hear Joe perform The Sad Cafe. Post Eagles, his backing singers have gone up a notch or two.

Stuck on the Border

I think it would have been more interesting if Glenn had sung the song. He should have had one more vocal on that album to make up fror Teenage Jail. It wasn't really his type of lyric but if they had shown more flexibility they may not have broken up so acrimoniously. I have always said & will continue to say that letting Henley sing the majority of the songs on the last two albums was a mistake.

I disagree that it is lyrically similar to The Last Resort as it is about a specific time and place whereas TLR covers the entire history of California.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

It's the problem of creating a classic album: later songs may be excellent songs but still look 'not as good' by comparison.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I think it would have been more interesting if Glenn had sung the song. He should have had one more vocal on that album to make up fror Teenage Jail. It wasn't really his type of lyric but if they had shown more flexibility they may not have broken up so acrimoniously. I have always said & will continue to say that letting Henley sing the majority of the songs on the last two albums was a mistake.

I disagree that it is lyrically similar to The Last Resort as it is about a specific time and place whereas TLR covers the entire history of California.
    I agree that Glenn should have gotten more lead vocals, but I don't think this song should have been one of them. Henley's haunting, intentionally understated vocal is evocative and a big part of what makes TSC a great song, IMHO.

I don't find The Sad Cafe and The Last Resort similar at all, lyrically or musically. Also, The Last Resort is about manifest destiny - part of American history that is not limited to California, although there are some references to California.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I agree that Glenn should have gotten more lead vocals, but I don't think this song should have been one of them. Henley's haunting, intentionally understated vocal is evocative and a big part of what makes TSC a great song, IMHO.

I don't find The Sad Cafe and The Last Resort similar at all, lyrically or musically. Also, The Last Resort is about manifest destiny - part of American history that is not limited to California, although there are some references to California.
    Yes, it's more suited to Don's style, it is obviously mainly his lyric. My comment wasn't so much about this particular song rather that I wish Glenn had had an equivalent to NKIT on this album. But I suppose we did get HT which at least wasn't a ballad. Sorry to go off track - just an observation.

Border Troubadour

I adore both this and The Last Resort, they are my favoruite songs from their respective albums and easily in my top five Eagles songs.

I also agree that the two are different however. The Last Resort is a scathing, almost nihilistic, disassembly of the American dream but so absolutely beautiful and cuttingly true at the same time (I've said this many times but the last verse to it is my favourite set of lyrics ever); whereas I think The Sad Cafe is more a concession from the harsh realisation that the SoCal country rock hippie carry on was ultimately pointless; becoming even more poignant for me when you realise that for fourteen years this was the last statement the Eagles ever made. I also believe the instrumentation on TSC (especially Felder's solo and Sanborn's sax) is superior to that of TLR.

Thanks for the info in the opening post too, I knew it was in tribute to someone, I just didn't know who they were.

Banned

As much as I enjoy Sanborn's sax, adding horns, to the band's sound, wasn't a direction I altogether approved of. Felder says he played a sax solo on guitar for his One Of These Nights solo. Seemed to work fine for me.

I wonder how close the Eagles came to having sax on the studio version of The Long Run too. The album version sounds a bit short and sparse after hearing the sax laden, live version from the same era. Maybe it would have been longer if the the album was, as first intended, released as a double album.

Considering the Eagles were still moving in a "rock" direction when The Long Run was being recorded, I consider The Sad Cafe to be the most likely track to be dropped, from the final album, to make room for another Glenn Frey vocal.

If only they weren't limited by the constraints of Vinyl

Border Troubadour

I'm not a huge fan of the horns and all Eagles era either (see also the awful percussion on the LROOE album) but I think as an exception TSC worked pretty well.

As for what would be cut, I can't help but think it would have been one from the trio of Teenage Jail, TGDWNF or The Disco Strangler, probably the former: I can imagine certainly Henley, Frey and Souther were all feeling very starkly what they wrote, whereas the other three I listed are pretty bang average, unremarkable filler. I believe Henley in the past has said of one of them that it was the epitome of how fed up they were at the time. The Long Run would be substantially weaker for TSC's exclusion. For me it doesn't have much going for it to start with!