Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Listen to a Song Challenge Thread

Out on the Border

Default Re: Listen to a Song Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Slash and Duff are still playing Chinese songs. It is a guns n roses album. As Axl said himself. If he made a solo album it would be a lot different then GNR songs.
    Luv luv gnr as is my username, but I do not think that album is a gnr album. I do not care much for that record

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    It's a novelty song and DJ had challenged me with a novelty song. Hence, I thought one was a reasonable response to the other, but moving the theme from the USA to very 'Ocker' Australian.

The reason was so that recommendations could be personalised to the person being challenged. Otherwise, it becomes very much just a 'listen to this song, everyone' thread which I thought less interesting than if people were challenging individuals with something chosen for them.
    Well I did listen to it. It's pretty funny and he has a great singing voice. But that's about all I can say, not a lot of music to it, so.....But I accepted challenge and that's all that matters.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I missed this game when it first started, but I very much like the idea and wanted to have a go at it myself. Although I think the initial idea is very sound, I do think UtW's suggestion about making the challenge open rather than to one specific person is also a good idea. As there was no challenge song left from when this thread was last posted in I hope no one minds if I start afresh.

One suggestion I do have is the idea of stating that other people don't reply if they are known to be a huge fan of the artist, or at least not be the first to post, but leaving it open to everyone else. Let's say someone might name an obscure Pink Floyd song and specify that it's open to everyone except me, or at least specify that I should not be the first to reply. I wouldn't be offended by that at all, in fact I think it would make the game better as long as people weren't being mean and excluding people without reason. I'm not sure it needs to be made into a rule - if people choose to follow this as a guide and keep away from challenges for big favourite artists it should avoid the game being short-circuited by users taking up the 'challenge' of listening to a song they know and love. If you disagree with me, fair enough.

I'll get this restarted with one that's probably an unsurprising pick from me artist-wise but hopefully not too well known a song. I'll leave this one open to everyone, link is below:

Short And Sweet - David Gilmour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vQTuCwpbIc

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I missed this game when it first started, but I very much like the idea and wanted to have a go at it myself. Although I think the initial idea is very sound, I do think UtW's suggestion about making the challenge open rather than to one specific person is also a good idea. As there was no challenge song left from when this thread was last posted in I hope no one minds if I start afresh.

One suggestion I do have is the idea of stating that other people don't reply if they are known to be a huge fan of the artist, or at least not be the first to post, but leaving it open to everyone else. Let's say someone might name an obscure Pink Floyd song and specify that it's open to everyone except me, or at least specify that I should not be the first to reply. I wouldn't be offended by that at all, in fact I think it would make the game better as long as people weren't being mean and excluding people without reason. I'm not sure it needs to be made into a rule - if people choose to follow this as a guide and keep away from challenges for big favourite artists it should avoid the game being short-circuited by users taking up the 'challenge' of listening to a song they know and love. If you disagree with me, fair enough.

I'll get this restarted with one that's probably an unsurprising pick from me artist-wise but hopefully not too well known a song. I'll leave this one open to everyone, link is below:

This game didn't work out. It was meant to be a game where you challenged a particular person to listen to a track, not just generally listed a track. It's true that this way of doing it makes it much more open, but it loses the personal touch.

Anyhow, I'll challenge JCL to listen to Dave Dobbyn and the Stone People - Don't hold your breath

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan only because I haven't gotten around to it yet. This doesn't hit on their musicianship at all. I thought this song was good, but it didn't compel me to want to buy it on iTunes. It's a bit slower than what I would like, and the singing is ok and fits the tone of the song. I like the slow-building quality of it throughout, and the guitars are pretty good too. However, it's just too slow for my tastes and I wish the drums were more emphasized. It just feels like it's lacking a punch in the drums, but I understand that the style of the song is more guitar driven than anything. But hey, what do I know, since I'm not as good at describing music like the rest of you. Thanks for sharing, JCL.

I agree that we should share stuff that we think that other Borderers may not be as familiar with.

With that being said, I challenge JCL or AT to listen to Ulili E from The Descendants soundtrack (YouTube link below):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOpxKI4OMbc

I know that this would be going against AT's wishes, but if anyone would like to share their thoughts on this piece of Hawaiian music after a day or two has passed, then the challenge is open to anyone. Anyone could reply after October 12, 2016, so it's open to anyone from October 13, 2016 and onwards.

Having grown up in NZ, the Hawaiin music sounded like Maori music to me. (I don't speak Maori.) It's a nice song produced well, though I would like to hear a ukulele only version!

I'll challenge RCF to listen to The Patea Maori Club's "Poi E". This was a huge hit in New Zealand. In hindsight, it sounds a bit dated in terms of its production (including the video), but is still IMHO quite catchy. This song was an important one in NZ music history as the radio stations would refuse to play NZ music much, including this song. It was shown on TV, went to No. 1., and was the highest selling single in NZ in the year it was released.

Patea Maori Club: Poi E

The personal side of this thread was to be aware of people's likes. If RCF likes the reggae-ish side of The Clash, then you/he might like the NZ band Herbs. (Guess the reason for the band name.) Here's one of their most famous songs "Nuclear Waste".

Herbs: Nuclear Waste

Here's what I think is a ukulele version. I don't have a good ear for instruments, so forgive me if this is in fact guitar.

Ulili E - Iz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P80zBwDqymw

I thought that Poi E sounded like a national anthem produced for the 1980s. I looked at the comments section of the video, and a few comments agreed with my sentiment of the song. It's funny how you mention that part about stations not playing NZ music over there. I thought at first you meant it in a way that they refuse to play Maori music, but I realized afterwards that you meant just NZ music in general either from white people or Maoris. Anyways, this summer I talked to a couple from NZ at a hot tub in Hawaii, and we talked about politics a little bit. I asked them what the political climate was like over there, and they said that there's much less conflict or you know, not as poisonous as it is in the US right now. They just said that mainly it's just about policies that have to do with the relations between white people and Maoris. Sorry that this is way off-topic, but my initial misunderstanding of your statement on stations not playing NZ music led me to recall that memory.

It also took me a while to realize that the Poi that they're singing about were the balls on strings that they're dancing with. Poi in Hawaii is a taro dish/dip that doesn't taste like much but it adds flavor to meat.

The song itself is catchy, and the chanting/singing are pretty good. It threw me off at first, since it's percussion-heavy and I don't hear any stringed instruments. Thanks for sharing.

As for Nuclear Waste, it's a little too blatantly political of a song for me. If songs are political, I prefer it if the lyricism wasn't as obvious and/or there are metaphors. I don't catch them all the time, but it captures my attention when a song has very obvious lyrics. There's nothing wrong with that, but if I'm trying to do a study guide, it throws me off a little. It has a nice island beat and reggae vibe to it. I'm not that into Polynesian/Pacific Islander reggae, but I do enjoy the stuff from the Caribbean. My dad likes Hawaiian reggae though. Well, at least he did, since he's not listening to it much anymore. He said that it made good work music in Hawaii. Once again, thanks for sharing AT!

I know that my response to your post has just been a jumble of thoughts that popped into my head, so sorry about that if it bothered you to read something that lacks cohesion.

I'd like to challenge a song for you AT, but I'm not sure about what kind of music you like exactly. It seems like you're pretty open to all kinds, since you've posted some foreign songs and people on the song threads.

I guess I challenge AT to listen to Alpha by Vangelis, in the hopes that he might not be as familiar with electronic instrumentals. If he is, oh well, I tried to find something not as mainstream.

Link (EDITED b/c the original link cut off a few seconds at the end.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jG--3elufo

This challenge is open to anyone from October 14 and onwards, if there's no response from AT.
    Last edited by RudieCantFail; 10-13-2016 at 03:00 AM.

I do like Electronic Music. The Vangelis piece is one I haven't heard before. I'm not familiar with his albums, just his better-known film music. This piece is a very simple melody that repeats throughout most of the length of the track, slowly building in terms of the instrumentation. The synthesiser sounds are simple but effective. I like the track. It's not a classic, but then not every song/tune has to be. It reminds me of Kometenmelodie 2 by Kraftwerk, Aqua by Kitaro, and some Jean-Michel Jarre, e.g. Equinox. A bit, the Vangelis track is its own thing.

What I'll do now is not challenge RCF, but leave it open for someone else to do. If this thread is to live, then it needs more people. If no-one does, I'll come back and challenge RCF in a few days.

Wha-Koo - You're Such A Fabulous Dancer

I always wondered what happened to Palmer after he left Steely Dan -- has a great voice. Did three albums with a guy, then did more backup vocals, and has been a digital graphics guy for the past 15-20 years..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh5vVTK_1s

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    Wha-Koo - You're Such A Fabulous Dancer

I always wondered what happened to Palmer after he left Steely Dan -- has a great voice. Did three albums with a guy, then did more backup vocals, and has been a digital graphics guy for the past 15-20 years..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh5vVTK_1s
    Thanks for this, MSF. I've never heard this song before. The guy playing the tambourine looks a lot like the tambourine player from Randy's former band, The Silverados (Don Francisco). Did you know David Palmer and Randy were going to form a band in the 80s? For some reason, it never materialized. However, Mr. Palmer did write a song, Darkness of the Heart, which Randy recorded for his 3rd solo album.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qEF2Z8kHWK8[/ame]

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...