Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    THANK YOU, SODA!! The unsavory direction of this thread was making me cringe. Obviously this guy was baiting--and it worked. I get there are people who don't like Don Felder; as the millenials say, "haters gonna hate." But why pick on Randy? Has he not suffered enough? Geez!
    Don't like Don Felder ?
    Heck, I have been accused of being a "Felder freak".

Am I in the Twilight Zone with you saying I am picking on Meisner? I have defended the guy more than most.
    [And please don't quote the ignorant millennials who bastardize the English language out of laziness]

A few here might be critical of my thinking because I am willing to discuss the underbelly of some of their rock idols. But at least they have their stories straight. You have essentially accused me of deriding the two guys who I defend more than anyone else in the group.

`
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Don't like Don Felder ?
    Heck, I have been accused of being a "Felder freak".

Am I in the Twilight Zone with you saying I am picking on Meisner? I have defended the guy more than most.
    [And please don't quote the ignorant millennials who bastardize the English language out of laziness]

A few here might be critical of my thinking because I am willing to discuss the underbelly of some of their rock idols. But at least they have their stories straight. You have essentially accused me of deriding the two guys who I defend more than anyone else in the group.

`
    I have not accused you of deriding anybody. I was referring to those who took your bait and the opportunity to rehash old grievances by bashing Felder. It's like an itch that must be scratched, I guess. Then it goes further when total lack of respect is shown for Randy by the gossip about his personal life and finances. It's sad to me that more concern is shown for how much $$ is in his pocket than for him or his music.

At this time I'd like nothing more to do with this pointless thread.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: Vector, this last comment was rude and I apologize. You obviously put time and effort into this topic. I wasn't actually referring to the entire thread but rather the direction it had taken recently. But at any rate, it was wrong to call it "pointless." -Delilah
    Last edited by Delilah; 04-13-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

IS THERE ANY POINT TO THIS THREAD? IF SO, I DON'T GET IT.

Discussion is good; this is not.

Banned

letting off steam? venting frustrations maybe? I don't think the Eagles are above criticism. "There's three sides to every story baby" and all that.

Eagles fans have almost certainly devoted a lot of time and money to their fandom, so are entitled to an opinion, however accurate, warped or misguided.

I think blind, unquestioned approval is far uglier than passionate dissension, possibly more dangerous too

Stuck on the Border

No one is going to spend hours browsing through the 72 pages of the Don Felder press/blog thread to look for interviews for people who don't bother to go there themselves. It's all there. If you won't go there yourself, then you won't.

To anyone who chooses to comprehend: Personally I didn't have any negative thoughts about Don F until I saw him badmouth Glenn - first in his book and then in countless interviews - even to the point of contradicting himself to make Glenn look bad in an interview. And I mean badmouthing, not just telling his side of a story.

EDIT:

I did say that I'll stop discussing Don F's comments about Glenn that irritate me, but I'll make an exception when someone suggests they might not exist.

EDIT-EDIT:

It seems the interview where Don F changed the "Iron lung" story is no longer online.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-24-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    letting off steam? venting frustrations maybe? I don't think the Eagles are above criticism. "There's three sides to every story baby" and all that.

Eagles fans have almost certainly devoted a lot of time and money to their fandom, so are entitled to an opinion, however accurate, warped or misguided.

I think blind, unquestioned approval is far uglier than passionate dissension, possibly more dangerous too
    I don't have 'blind unquestioning approval' of the Eagles. I'm just more interested in their music than in the individual band members, and who did what to whom, and why.
    On the 'Three sides to every story'- we're never going to know the 'cold, hard truth'.

Vector, I apologize that people of my generation use Twitter too much and grammar flies out the window with them. I try not to go down low to that sort of language, but I only do it if it adds some sort of humor to a situation among people my age. I don't even use emojis in texting.

Please don't hate too much on what I'm about to say in regards to this topic's thread. I'm not necessarily no longer happy, but I'm just taking a break from listening to their music religiously. That's what I do when I get into a band or a song. I listen to it constantly, which eventually makes me sick of it. I got into an Eagles kick for almost a year, and now I'm onto Fleetwood Mac. I listened to Don Henley too much. Heck, I'm getting close to an FM fatigue.

However, I thought it was great hearing "The Long Run" on the radio just the other day. It's fun getting an occasional Eagles or Don Henley song played on the radio as a pleasant surprise. It was actually wonderful liking Don's voice once again on the radio. It's not that I didn't like it, but I overdid it on listening to their songs.

Banned

Eagles always sounded great on the radio. I'd say it was the Eagles music's greatest ally.

StephUK, the 'blind unquestioning approval' comment was a general one. I was an innocent enthusiast about the Eagles music until Felder's response to his enforced exit. I was truly blessed to discover Joe's entire catalog without hearing a word of praise or criticism from anybody else.

There are songs, in the Eagles cannon, that I think I'd enjoy more if I hadn't read or heard some criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    EDIT/ADDENDUM: Vector, this last comment was
    Hi Delilah,

I just noticed your edit, and while I appreciate the sentiment, it was not necessary.
    You are entitled to your viewpoint, and I have thick skin.

I am glad you see how my view is worthy of respect even if you and/or some others do not agree with it. Rest assured there are people behind the scenes on this forum who agree with me, but are reluctant to speak up for fear of derision from fellow fanatic posters.

For my part, I'd like to see the Eagles heal their wounds and bring some closure to all the bitterness. Maybe the upcoming concerts rumored to be occurring will be the elixir.
    Yet from what I gather, a decent portion of fans (particularly Frey fans) do not want to see it happen.
    Maybe they are feeling like I did back when I didn't want to see the Eagles without some of their excluded members.
    `

In response to StephUK, Funk 50 said;

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

Bingo

Earlier I used a sports analogy to describe how some people are in fact fanatics toward their teams, and only see things from a biased perspective. So some guy up in the nose bleed seats claims the refs are blind because their guy just scored a touchdown, but the refs say he stepped out of bounds on the 15 yard line (American Football for those in the UK). This half drunk guy who needs glasses is only saying this because he is biased enough to think he actually could see his players foot stay in bounds from a hundred yards away. Never mind that a neutral ref who is feet from the play said differently.

So it is with fans of individual band members. If they support Frey, they overlook the behavior he dished out, that they would be critical of if it were directed at him. While I like and respect some of Frey's talent/abilities, it does not blind me to his shortcomings.
    But to some, uttering such things is tantamount to blasphemy. The same is true of Henley. They then feel compelled to defend them, and impugn the motives of those who see things more clearly.

I made it clear from the beginning of this thread and my subsequent journey, that I was about as unbiased as one could be. The fact I became critical of a couple of members was born out of watching the documentary and then research. This didn't sit well with some here who are deeply invested in certain individuals of the band, and cannot stand the fact an unbiased person could be critical of someone they care about. Blind loyalty might be an understatement in some cases. Thus I have been the subject of derision, with attempts to silence my viewpoint.
    Heck, I didn't even know the names of the individual band members, much less have a favorite. I also pointed out how I had not read any books, knew their history, etc.
    All I did was know the name of a group who played music I really enjoyed, and that their music was growing on my as they became more R&R than country.
    So I was a true fan, without being a fanatic. Granted fan is short for fanatic, but some are more over the top than others.

Now I am looking for a way to get back to enjoying their music without thinking about all the negative things I learned that tore this band apart.
    `