Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Don Song

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite Don Song

And how about The Last Worthless Evening? I have to say I fell in love with that song from the first note!

Out on the Border weefieryredhead's Avatar

I love it too but I put down the songs I probably listen to most regularly. There are a lot of his songs that I love and then there are the ones that crawl under your skin and require you to listen to them frequently!

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

And The Last Worthless Evening is one of them for me. As well as Heart Of the Matter and Taking You Home. AND Not Enough Love In The World. Love these songs. I burnt them in a row so I can listen to these frequently.

Out on the Border weefieryredhead's Avatar

Yeah that's a good plan I put my favourites in a playlist so I can listen to them

Ooooo this is a tough one! I'd have to go with....

1. Heart of the Matter

2. Dirty Laundry

3. Boys of Summer

4. Not Enough Love in the World

5. Last Worthless Evening

(If there was a 6th and 7th slot.......I'd add End of the Innocence and You're Not Drinking Enough....among others )

this is too hard to pick favorites since I love so many of his songs but I'll go with my top 15.
    1. Love Rules
    2. Talking to the Moon
    3. You Don't Know Me At All
    4. Lilah
    5. The Unclouded Day
    6. My Thanksgiving
    7. Long Way Home
    8. The End of the Innocence
    9. The Last Worthless Evening
    10. The Heart of the Matter
    11. Dirty Laundry
    12. Sunset Grill
    13. Through Your Hands
    14. The Boys of Summer
    15. Land of the Living

Here's my baker's dozen - because I realized I couldn't stop at just 10:

13. They're Not Here, They're Not Coming (The lone representative from Inside Job - it's goofy, but catchy. Lately, if I'm not singing "Nobody's Business" - see #3 - I'm singing this one to myself as I while away the hours at work)
    12. Not Enough Love in The World (I like this song for a couple of reasons, not least of which is when he hits those high notes when he sings, "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody just take good care of yourself." God, that voice of his...)
    11. Lilah (such a sweet song and like many of his songs, the lyrics are timeless: "We spend so much time weeping and wailing and shaking our fists, Creating enemies that really don't exist.")
    10. Sunset Grill (Again, that voice....that plaintive wail "Don't worry girl, I'm going to stick by you..." Seriously, this guy could sing me the U.S. tax code and I'd melt!)
    9. A Month of Sundays (It's all about the lyrics with this one. It reminds me of one of my favorite Eagles tunes, The Last Resort, with its melancholy lyrics about change.)
    8. All She Wants to Do is Dance (This song makes even me want to dance and I can't dance worth beans.)
    7. Talking to the Moon (Simply beautiful)
    6. Dirty Laundry (Oh, those bubble-headed bleach blondes! I swear whenever I see Paula Zahn on TV, I think of this song. Does anyone else sing this one with a loud, angry voice and a scowl on her/his face like I do? )
    5. The End of the Innocence (Don Henley + Bruce Hornsby = sheer genius)
    4. The Heart of the Matter (Some of the most beautifully poignant lyrics ever written: "How can love survive in such a graceless age?")
    3. Nobody's Business (I can't stop singing this song! I just got the I Can't Stand Still CD this week and absolutely fell in love with this song. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. )
    2. The Last Worthless Evening (sexy beyond belief)

And, finally, drum roll please, Don

1. The Boys of Summer (I don't think any of his other songs will ever take it's number one spot. And it's definitely in my top ten of all-time favorite songs by any artist.)

I'm sorry for being so long-winded, but I just love talking about his music.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I enjoyed your analysis of the songs, Katherine. I had already indicated earlier that my top five Don solo songs are:

1. Boys of Summer
    2. Heart of the Matter
    3. Dirty Laundry
    4. End of the Innocence
    5. Last Worthless Evening

Since this thread has been revived, and others listed more than five songs, I'm going to list my next five favorites. In order, they are ...

6. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    7. You Don't Know Me at All
    8. Lilah
    9. Long Way Home
    10. Taking You Home

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yeah - I want to add to mine, too! I like the "countdown" effect so I'll start with #10 as well. However, these do occasionally change depending on my mood!

Honorable Mention: Dirty Laundry: I remember how this song brought the house down the first time I saw Don in Chicago in 2005. So catchy!

10. A Month of Sundays: So poignant. He really makes you feel the guy's pain.

9. All She Wants to Do Is Dance: Another catchy number - and I just love that line about "Don't come back here Yankee'... but if I ever do.. I'll bring more money!" LOL

8. I Will Not Go Quietly: This rocks so hard. I didn't realize how great it was until I saw Don do it live. It was amazing - so fierce!

7. Lilah: Absolutely beautiful.

6. Last Worthless Evening: This is something a lot of us ladies wish a guy would tell us, and something probably a lot of guys relate to that line about getting the nerve up to tell someone how he feels. Plus, gotta love the tune and the way he pours himself into the vocal.

5. End of the Innocence: Mournful - political without being harsh - another song that makes you feel so much.

4. Not Enough Love in the World: I really love the melody of this one. Always have, even before I knew who sang it.

3. Talking to the Moon: I like this more every time I listen to it. The part that really puts it over the top in terms of quality is when he takes it up a notch and starts high in this really powerful way "I WAS JUST talking to the moon."

2. Heart of the Matter: Beautiful melody, great message, moving song. I remember listening to this one time in the car on the way home from college in 1995 and just thinking "This song is amazing." That was when I was still a casual fan, but it was the main reason I bought "Actual Miles." Especially since there was another song on it called...

1. Boys of Summer: AWESOME! The way the song rises when he goes into "I can see you..." - great vocal - great tune - great video. This was what first made known to me the name "Don Henley" (I had no idea he used to be in the Eagles).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Oooo you guys made me want to update my list! I love the coutdowns and the summary of why you love the song! I shall follow in your footsteps with my update

#10- All She Wants to do is Dance: I know a lot of people think it's dated, but I don't care! It's a catchy, fun song! Don sounds great, and dated or not....I love it musically!

#9 -My Thanksgiving: It's not necessarily one that I listen to over and over again, but I remember the first time I hear the lines "the trouble with you and me my friend is the trouble with this nation, too many blessings...too little appreciation" I thought.....wow.....how true are those words. It instantly became a favorite of mine based on lyrics alone....let alone the fact that Don sounded amazing as always!

#8 -End of the Innocence: Beautiful music, lyrics, and performance! The only thing is......when he first sang the chorus......I think i thought he was singing about something the song probably wasn't about

#7 -Taking You Home: Love it! It almost has a bluesy tinge to it and I love the melody! I can't explain what it is about some melody's that I love....but this is it! I know some think it's cheesy, but I think it's a beautiful song.

- Everybody Knows: I know I'm probably the only one who LOVES this song, but I can't get enough of the catchy beat! I LOVE the bass line in it! It's kinda funky and Don just sounds fabulous on it!

#5 -I Will Not Go Quietly: Hello.......I want him to wrap his loving arms around the small of my back (ok ok so it's not that small ) Need I say more? I LOOOVE the sound of his voice when he sings that verse!

#4 - Last Worthless Evening: When I first listened to this one I remember thinking how passionate Don sounded. He doesn't just sing......he pours emotion into the song. As Katherine said......just an incredibly sexy song and performance!

#3 - Heart of the Matter: Lyrically.....probably my favorite! I remember hearing this song for the first time and turning down the cd player after it ended......sitting in silence for several minutes just thinking......wow....what powerful lyrics. It's only listed behind the 1 & 2 spots for me because a) I can't stop singing along with #2.....and #1 was my first love

#2 - Boys of Summer: Such a classic! I know for most people this would be #1, but you see....#1 is what made me fall in love with Don AND the Eagles so it must remain my #1 As Soda mentioned though, i love the way BOS builds into the chorus but my favorite lines are the classics "out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac....a little voice inside my head said don't look back, you can never look back." I always remember on the F1 dvd that Joe sings along on the don't look back, you can never look back part. Sheer perfection this song is! Oh......and the storytellers performance.....*drool*

#1 - Dirty Laundry: HAS to be my favorite! When someone put in the F1 dvd a couple of years ago at my job.....I heard this song and thought that is SUCH a catchy song and he has a fabulous voice! I then purchased and watched the entire dvd and fell in love with the eagles, and more particularily.....Don Henley. It has that driving beat that I love! The intro, when the bass comes in right after that intro, the guitar solos, the blasting lyrics, Don's defiant singing.......incredible!

**Honorable Mentions:
    Not Enough Love in the World - simply gorgeous!
    How Bad Do You Want It - LOVE the sax!
    New York Minute - Some of the lyrics are cheesy, I know....but there are many lines that everyone should pay attention to!
    Sunset Grill - As previously mentioned...."don't worry girl, I'm gonna stand by you....." wow! such a gorgeous crystal clear voice!

(how's THAT for long winded Katherine )