Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Default Celebration of "On the Border"

On the Border was released this day in Eagles history (March 22, 1974). I thought it would be fun to pay tribute to it. I've set the board's default style to the On the Border style for the week and in this thread, we can post our thoughts on it, our favorites songs from it, or anything else we'd like to talk about regarding the album.

I think this is a great album. With the exceptions of "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and the title track, I love every song on it. It's such a shame that they don't play any song from this album in concert anymore. "Already Gone" ROCKS live, and "Best of My Love" was their first #1 hit as well as a favorite of mine (and many others).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Default Re: "On the Border" Anniversary Appreciation Thread

Best of My Love is still my favorite Eagles song.

I love every song from this album,
    especially I like Already Gone, Best of My Love!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Great idea, Soda!

I love On The Border. I listen to it a lot in the car - it's a good cruising album. To me, it's got a very youthful vibe, with songs like On The Border, James Dean and Already Gone, interjected with some more introspective, slower stuff like Ol' 55 and You Never Cry Like A Lover. I'm a fan of the latter, but I do tend to feel that something more could have been made of it. Don's vocals don't shine through as much as usual... Perhaps this was intentional, I don't know. Either way, I enjoy the song. Good Day In Hell is a great rocker, and when you get to Best Of My Love, it's like things have stepped up a notch. It's got a more tender, mature feel from the rest of the album - kind of a taste of what was to come. I know many people cite it as their favourite Eagles song, and it's definitely high up on my list. I also like Midnight Flyer. It reminds me of Kirshner and the guys having fun!

One more shallow reason for appreciating the album - the guys look fantastic in the artwork! (See top of page for proof.) Gotta love the funky little mushrooms on Don's shirt.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Love the celebration and love the board style. Since this is officially "On the Border" week on The Border, I'm going to try to post a thought each day instead of putting everything I want to say about the album in to one post. So my thought for today ...

This is when the band brought in a fifth Eagle to move toward more rock-oriented songs. The "late addition" of Don Felder's mean guitar gave the band a harder sound. Felder only played on a few tracks on this album, so his full impact wasn't felt until the band's next album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

..beautiful job with the board Soda........loved that album...and I shall listen to it today...

Great Album, there is not a song on there I don't like

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I love the new default Soda! Once again well done. As for the Album, definitely on of their better ones. I love the title track, but my favourite has to be 'Already Gone'. Its a brilliant driving song and especially suits when you are driving away from somewhere you don't want to be!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Sounds like I'm pretty much with the everyone else here. I really do like every song on this album but my faves are the title track, Already Gone and my all time favorite Eagles song, Best Of My Love. I wish they would put at least one of those into the set list.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

I absolutely adore this album but I might emulate Dreamer and post different thoughts about it all week.

Regarding Best Of My Love it was a huge favourite of mine when I first heard it but now I think it has a rather repetititve melody and the harmonies are somewhat over-produced. It has some very insightful lyrics particularly towards the end, but there is no way I could call it one of my favourite Eagles songs these days. If I listen to the album as a whole it seems tacked on to the end. I know how much many people love the song. While I admire it, as I say, I no longer love it.

I think it is tragic that Already Gone has been dropped, somewhat 'kitschy' though it is in parts. It is hugely exhilarating. I find the song very hard to write about. Its appeal for me is perhaps too obvious for me to explain.

The problem with You Never Cry Like A Lover is again that it is over-produced - you can see why they switched to Szymczyk. I don't find the lyrics as sexist as others do. I am not a fan of such lines as 'you can't get loose when there's too much light' which to me ranks down there with 'foolin' with my baby on the telephone'. As a portrait of .... frigidity..... what other word is there? it works reasonably well.

More later.