Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chicago

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Chicago

I tried to watch it, but the Obama story was on when I clicked to go to it. I gave up.

I know nothing about Chicago, liked their songs, but thought it would be an interesting story. Didn't one of their singers kill themselves playing russian roulette?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

There's also so much variety on those early albums. It seems that there was nothing they couldn't put on their albums in terms of style, while in the 80's there wasn't much they could put on their albums! The 80's albums aren't necessarily bad, but the sense of adventure was gone.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Didn't one of their singers kill themselves playing russian roulette?
    Terry Kath, who sang lead on "Colour My World" and "Make Me Smile."

The way the documentary explained it, Terry was partying at a roadie's house. They were doing a lot of coke. Terry began cleaning his gun(s). The roadie was uncomfortable with this and advised Terry to go to bed. Terry said he knew what he was doing, and showed the guy that the gun was empty of ammunition. What he didn't realize was that there was still a bullet in the chamber. Terry put the gun to his head and fired, and was killed instantly.

That's how I understood it - not too familiar with guns.

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, I think the russian roulette thing is just a myth. Seraphine's book doesn't support that at all. In fact nothing I've seen/read a Chicago member say does.
    Last edited by chaim; 01-09-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Oh, I didn't know Seraphine wrote a book. I'd be interested to read that. Thank you, Chaim.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

How awful! Good to hear it was more of an accident.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

The first few minutes of "Chicago in the Rockies," a fun 1973 tv special, reminds me so much of the Desperado album shoot! The boys playing western gunslingers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B98vT8GLFjs

P.S. If you keep on watching, you'll see the Rev. Al Green boppin' along to "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" then later he joins the band for a very tender rendition of "So Tired of Being Alone."
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 01-19-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Out on the Border

My question is - what's pissing Cetera off? I've heard he still gets along well with Robert Lamm. But the fact that he won't play with them has to mean there is some bad blood. Maybe it was Pankow who pissed him off as he seemed the most alpha-male out of all the band members.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadygone View Post
    My question is - what's pissing Cetera off? I've heard he still gets along well with Robert Lamm.
    I'd be very surprised if they got along. I'm going by the recent documentary, where Lamm is bitchy about "If You Leave Me Now" being such a huge hit, and Cetera being seen as the face of the band after that. I think there was rivalry because Lamm wrote so many of the earlier hits.

There is definitely bad blood. Cetera said he wanted to get together for the Hall of Fame performance but the guys hadn't changed and were still making jealous, mean comments to him.

Out on the Border

so you sort of get a gist of what people are like in real life. Here's my take:

Robert Lamm - he seems sort of the most cerebral of all of the original members. He wrote a lot of the sort of "meta" songs such as "Does Anybody Really know what Time it Is". Had he never been in Chicago - he seems like someone who could have been a professor.

Walt Parazaider and Lee Loughnane - they both seem like the nicest out of all of them

Jim Pankow - he sounds like a fun guy to hang around and has a wicked sense of humor - but would also be the first to tell you if he doesn't like you.

Danny Seraphine - he seems the most "ethnic" out of all the original members and according to his autobiography - he was once in a gang as a teenager. Very much a scrappy "street player".

Peter Cetera - he wasn't interviewed so its hard to get a sense of him - but he is sort of the Dennis DeYoung of the group. He has a sort of effeminate affect to him and also seems like a passive-aggressive sort of person. I will give him credit though for not badmouthing his former bandmates. Also, does anyone think he sort of looks like Michael Douglas?

Terry Kath - there are very few interviews of him in the 70s but he has sort of a Jay from Jay and Silent Bob feel to him if the 20:32 mark in the below video is any indication:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Xw5qXIlrA