Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Don Henley in the Press - Retro Edition!

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I got so excited seeing Don's connection to Ireland that I misread the quote. Henley or more commonly Hanley has an Irish derivation.

And yes, FP, I do know the difference between 'half' and 'part' - pardon me for my mistake. I didn't realise I would be upbraided for slipping up unintentionally....
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The quote said part Irish, not half Irish. To be half Irish you would have to have an Irish parent. I have an Irish background too (so does Glenn) but 'part Irish' isn't a phrase I would use. My great great grandfather was Irish.

DD, his hair does look somewhat red in your avatar.
    I know the quote said part Irish...the half Irish mention was probably just a Freudian slip on DD's part as we love Don and any Irish connection is welcome!
    The post was meant to be a bit of light-hearted fun......

Anyways, half of the world is probably part Irish.... for such a small country, we sure get around !!
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    He's just so articulate and clever isn't he? Did I mention that I love him?
    Uh no, DD - I don't recall you ever mentioning that before.

And thanks for posting that interview again, L101. I always enjoy rereading old stuff. And I agree that you Irish folks seem to get around - it does seem like half the world has some Irish blood! You can count me in.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

He was dyeing his hair during this period and it did look a bit reddish if the lighting was right!

Everybody wants to claim some Irish blood because Irish folks know how to have fun. Just recently I found a photo of my great-great-great-grandparents who immigrated from Ireland in the late 1840s to escape the potato famine (along with a host of other Irish). The Irish do indeed get around! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Don Henley in the Press - Retro Edition!

Soda - that's amazing that you found that photo of your great-great-great grandparents....that's something to keep forever.

IABAD - Hope you don't mind me posting some stuff that was already posted but most of the articles are new to me so I have a lot of catching up to do

And of course, the part Irish/American union produced two of the worlds greatest musicians/songwriters ever - Don and Glenn so yay!!
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I just read the 1994 American Songwriter interview with Don: http://www.americansongwriter.com/19...odays-society/

It's surprising (to me) that he focuses, at least in this interview, almost exclusively on writing lyrics. There's almost nothing about writing music, but he *does* write music, doesn't he?

It says in Marc Eliot's "To the Limit" that Don sometimes composes lyrics to a click track - which is fascinating, I'd never heard of someone writing that way, but of course it makes perfect sense since he's a drummer.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I just read the 1994 American Songwriter interview with Don: http://www.americansongwriter.com/19...odays-society/

It's surprising (to me) that he focuses, at least in this interview, almost exclusively on writing lyrics. There's almost nothing about writing music, but he *does* write music, doesn't he?

It says in Marc Eliot's "To the Limit" that Don sometimes composes lyrics to a click track - which is fascinating, I'd never heard of someone writing that way, but of course it makes perfect sense since he's a drummer.
    Lyrics are his forte and what he is best known for. From what I can understand the majority of his songs have been written with collaborators such as Frey, Kortchmar, Lynch etc who write the majority of the music. I realise that is a generalisation & that Don is capable of composing on both guitar & piano, but he regards himself as a lyricist & vocalist first & foremost.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only song which he composed without a collaborator was the excellent "Month of Sundays." Otherwise, I get the impression that he leaves most of the melody making to his songwriting partners. As FP says, lyrics are his forte.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, FreyPower and Sodascouts, that's very helpful.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Not really a piece about Don as such but thought it was interesting to mention:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...story-19871119

While this old Rolling Stone article (taken from RS513 1987) is actually about the acrimonious split of Pink Floyd in the 1980s, Roger Waters directly quotes lyrics from Don's Long Way Home - 'There's three sides to every story/Yours and mine, and the cold, hard truth'. I thought this was interesting considering that on the follow-up to Roger's then very new Radio KAOS album, Amused To Death, he did a duet with Don on the song Watching TV.

At risk of going off topic I have to say Long Way Home is a song I've only recently discovered - I was impressed, I really liked it a lot.