Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The original lineup underrated?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: The original lineup underrated?

I don't think the original lineup is underrated, but unknown to casual fans. Eagles fans and music critics know that those four produced the bulk of the hits. The problem is that Bernie and Randy were only in the band for 5 or 6 years (?), and then were basically never heard from again as far as the general public was concerned until the HOTE documentary came out. [Acknowledging Randy had some solo attempts in the 80s and some sort of Poco reunion.] In the 38 years since Randy left, the Eagles have gained many new fans, especially after HFO and HOTE, and those fans simply have no connection to him or Bernie, as much as they enjoy the vocals every time they listen - they don't know who is singing. We hear this over and over and over.

If the Eagles had quit in 1977, Bernie and Randy would be much more well-known and appreciated. The sheer length of time that the band has been active with Joe and Tim has resulted in a diminishing of the perceived impact by the public of those early years.

In terms of playing his instrument, professionalism, ability to navigate the cut-throat music industry and make music his priority, his ongoing presence on other talented musicians' projects, and other intangibles, I would think Timothy is the most underrated Eagle. Everyone thinks he stands there looking pretty and taking direction from Don and Glenn, (which is all true), but I think he's done a lot more to keep the peace and keep the band together, due to his personality and professionalism, since 1994 than he gets credit for.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the first two albums myself, being not a bluegrass light country fan, outside of the hits like TIE and PEF and Witchy Woman and Desperado. But I don't care so much for Tequila Sunrise or some of the other tracks on the Desperado record.

I love On The Border and One Of These Nights, but even that pales in comparison to my love for Hotel California and The Long Run. For me I like the more rockin' Eagles.

As far as over/underrated - I'm not going to comment because I have no opinion on either side. I loved the HC lineup with Meisner still in it. I also equally love Tim.

That said, I respect Leadon's guitar playing and musicianship but guitar wise and music wise we are a bit, er, different stylistically. I'm not a bluegrass/folk fan and I like my country rockin'. I'm more of a fan of today's country where it has some rock edge to it with country vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    It's perfectly understandable that there are people who don't know Randy and Bernie - especially if they don't own the albums. And I don't really mind that. It's only when people go "they're nothing without this or that guy" - failing to see that the band recorded great material without them - that I start seeing red.

People who say that they're nothing without Felder or Joe should know that a lot of the time they are (were, in Felder's case) playing Bernie's classic licks (Take It Easy, Lyin' Eyes...).
    Right. It's like that guy who said that they didn't sound like the Eagles without Felder... As if the Eagles never existed without him! As I said in reply to that, I guess the Eagles must not have sounded like the Eagles on their first three albums (except for Felder's guest spot on OTB, presumably).

To answer your question: YES, they are definitely underrated. Desperado is my favorite Eagles album, too. I'm not saying they're better necessarily - all the line-ups have their virtues - but they're certainly not lesser than those that came later (in my mind at least).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

I share Glynn Johns opinion. The Eagles couldn't rock but were brilliant at the vocal harmony stuff.

I wonder if Johns was against the recruitment of Felder.

One of the things that made, Their Greatest Hits 1972-1975 the great success it became was that it was actually a more cohesive collection of songs than the formal album releases. Any track left out to accommodate a Leadon track would've weakened the album.

Neither Bernie or Randy had much success beyond the Eagles despite that being on their CV. It's a testament to just how great the "gods" Glenn and Don were.

I do believe, however that nearly all the early up-tempo rockish tracks would sound better re-recorded with Walsh in the mix.

By the same measure, I think some of the ballads on Long Road Out Of Eden would sound great performed by the original quartet.

Stuck on the Border

Very interesting points, Funk 50. Johns could also have been delighted by the recruitment of Felder, if he went, "well, now they can really rock as well, because that's what they wanna do".

Personally I love Bernie's and Randy's songs (especially Take The Devil, Early Bird, Bitter Creek and My Man), but in terms of mass appeal you may be right about GH and its cohesiveness.

Even more interesting thought was Eagles re-recording the "up-tempo rockish tracks" with Walsh in the mix. But the most interesting one was the original four performing the LROOE ballads!

I don't know - I think the assumption that one line-up always does ballads better and one lineup always does rockers better is over-simplifying their skills. The line-ups had different sounds, yes, but they all were fully capable of doing excellent work on more than one type of song.

Stuck on the Border

Well, personally I've always loved the original four playing rock songs, but so many people (including their producer) have said that they couldn't rock, so I must believe that there must be some truth in that.

I love how Bernie plays the Tryin' riff - the attack. I love the Out Of Control groove...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Well, personally I've always loved the original four playing rock songs, but so many people (including their producer) have said that they couldn't rock, so I must believe that there must be some truth in that.

I love how Bernie plays the Tryin' riff - the attack. I love the Out Of Control groove...
    Actually it's over generalising to say they couldn't rock. To be more accurate I'd say they were in the top 2% bands playing acoustic harmonies but only the top 40% or so with the gas on. If that makes sense...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Congrats on becoming a Border Rebel (500 Posts) Chaim!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Yes, well done, Toni! Congrats on your new user ranking - your posts are always interesting!