Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Jonny, thanks for your writeup on the Eagles popularity in the UK. You've covered it pretty well. The breakthrough song was "One of these nights" and that was played frequently. The earlier songs did get some airplay, mostly by Johnny Walker who had the lunchtime slot on BBC Radio 1, but they weren't hits.

I'm going with The Last Resort. I agree with those who are believe that this song is not underrated.

Border Troubadour

The way I always saw the Eagles in the UK was like Queen in the US - they never really 'got' them, and remained astronomically more popular in their homeland than across the Atlantic.

In all of the hours I've listened to the radio over here (usually the BBC stations) I've heard Hotel California, Lyin' Eyes, Take It Easy and Smuggler's Blues once each. Nowt more, nowt less. Obviously more era- or genre- specific stations will have a wider variety (I once got I Wish You Peace played as a request on one), but it's very thin on the ground bearing in mind how huge their impact both musically and financially has been.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I think most days I would hear at least one Eagles song on the radio over here. Then again I tend to listen to the 'easy Listening' stations. I also hear some of Don H and Glenn 's solo songs occasionally.
    You're right GA, they are often on the radio here and remain hugely popular. Even younger people know who you're talking about when you mention the Eagles. My brother says they're always played on the jukebox in the local pub! And the Last Resort has become a cult classic in our village . Also I requested a Don song for my birthday last week on one of the national stations and the DJ played EOTI - lovely It helps that he's also a singer/drummer and an avid fan of the guys. You know him, GA - Ronan Collins - he always plays a song for me on Don's birthday as well
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I'm not too sure about the popularity of The Long Run apart from the fact that it wasn't as popular as Hotel.
    Well the bargain bins were full of the Heartache tonight single. It was all over the radio when it was released, preceding The Long Run album but I guess people just waited for the album.

In complete contrast, the other singles, The title track and The Sad Cafe were very difficult to find.

Despite their low UK profile, the Eagles have never had difficulty shifting tickets for their live shows at all the major venues in the country, with hardly any publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodascouts
    As for my vote, what I like and others don't, I consider underrated. The reverse is also true. Simple as that.
    Sounds good to me Sodascouts, I just feel uncomfortable when anybody, myself included, display knowledge of how other people, sometimes vast populations, think, when it's really just a guess without any evidence to support it.

After contributing to this thread, I feel compelled to vote. May I ask?
    Are we voting for the song we like least or the song we feel is least underrated?

That was what my post was trying to explain... I am voting for the song I like the least because I really can't figure out how to quantify which of the competing songs are most or least underrated in relation to each other.

All of the songs that were chosen are not as well-known by the general public as the hits. That's obvious - we don't need a scientific poll to know that "Most of Us Are Sad" is less popular than "Take It Easy." However, once we move past that, it does pretty much become entirely subjective as to which songs are appreciated more or less sand why.

Thus, I'm just voting off the ones I personally like the least because hey, if I like it but I don't see it getting love from others, I think it's underrated!

If you choose to try and figure out what is more or less underrated by self-determined criteria as some people are doing - and more power to them! - then feel free. Either way works - it's all personal choice.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm sticking with Pretty Maids All in a Row...to me this song is not underrated...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    You're right GA, they are often on the radio here and remain hugely popular. Even younger people know who you're talking about when you mention the Eagles. My brother says they're always played on the jukebox in the local pub! And the Last Resort has become a cult classic in our village . Also I requested a Don song for my birthday last week on one of the national stations and the DJ played EOTI - lovely It helps that he's also a singer/drummer and an avid fan of the guys. You know him, GA - Ronan Collins - he always plays a song for me on Don's birthday as well
    Reading this I was guessing Ronan before I read it! Pity I missed the show but high chances that Desperada heard it coz she listens to Ronans show every day. He's a big fan! He also plays music for Glenn and Joe's birthdays.
    I tend to listen to Sunshine, Q102 and sometimes 4FM.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm going to vote for the song that I feel is the weakest of the remaining bunch. I know that some may not agree with me, but, again, if I don't think a song is really good, then I have a hard time considering it as underrated. Therefore ...

I cast my vote for Too Many Hands.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Results of Round Two: Kiss The Last Resort Goodbye

The next song to be eliminated in the Underrated Eagles Song Survivor is The Last Resort. “The Last Resort”, I know you were looking to hang out in paradise where the pretty people play, but the tribe has spoken. It is time to pack up your hope and dreams and sail to Lahaina because you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
    The Last Resort– 7
    James Dean – 5
    Bitter Creek – 1
    Ol' 55 – 1
    Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise – 1
    Long Road Out of Eden – 1
    Pretty Maids All in a Row – 1
    Too Many Hands – 1

Vote Breakdown
    The Last Resort – Freypower
    The Last Resort – VAisForEagleLovers