Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

For me, I gave a lot of credence to what I hear on Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind on satellite radio. I've heard Sad Cafe several times on those stations, which is a lot when you consider I listen to The Message (a different channel) 85% of the time. I've also heard Those Shoes quite a few times, in fact, I heard it yesterday on Classic Rewind. Hard for me to feel it's very underrated if they are still getting radio time. Conversely, I hardly ever hear The Long Run. In fact, in over ten years of owning satellite radio, I'm not sure I've ever heard it there (they likely play it on The Bridge). I have heard After the Thrill is Gone a few times. I also hear James Dean pretty frequently, so for me, personally, those songs don't seem very underrated at all.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Going back to the theme before:

Some of the band’s better songs that don’t get the respect they deserve
    Doolin-Dalton / Desperado (Reprise)
    Long Road Out of Eden
    The Sad Cafe
    The Last Resort
    Bitter Creek
    Ol' 55

Really good songs that get the appropriate level of respect they deserve
    After the Thrill Is Gone
    Good Day in Hell
    My Man
    Do Something
    Most of Us Are Sad
    Those Shoes
    Pretty Maids All in a Row

Some of the band’s weaker songs therefore they aren’t underrated
    James Dean
    Too Many Hands

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Here's my list of the 15 songs in the game:

Some of the band’s better songs that don’t get the respect they deserve
    1. Doolin-Dalton / Desperado (Reprise) (A stupendous song yet greatly underrated. A worthy winner indeed!)
    2. Good Day in Hell (Brilliant song, not that widely known and so wrongly ignored by compilation albums)
    3. The Sad Café (My personal favourite from The Long Run, enough to make it underrated in my book apart from anything else)
    4. My Man (One of my firm favourites from On The Border, timeless and beautiful)
    5. Long Road Out of Eden (Epic, brilliant song with great music and lyrics that deserves more credit than it gets, although I understand why some find it hard going)
    6. Bitter Creek (Another very strong Bernie song worthy of wider recognition)
    7. After the Thrill Is Gone (Excellent song, I must say I considered putting this in the category below but I think its lack of recognition compared to the hits from OOTN outside the core fanbase and the fact that it's only ever been played live once make it underrated)
    8. Too Many Hands (I really do like it a lot and I think it's very underrated)
    9. Pretty Maids All in a Row (Excellent, one of only two songs on HC that I think can legitimately considered underrated - the other is TALA - but is penalised for being part of an album generally considered to be a classic)

Really good songs that get the appropriate level of respect they deserve
    10. The Last Resort (Fantastic song, along with D-D/D (Reprise) the best song in the game, but as a crucial part of the HC album is not as underrated as some of the others.)
    11. Those Shoes (Great tune, gets about the right level of praise I think. May have been underrated prior to HOTE though)
    12. Do Something (Lovely song, also gets about the right of level of praise)
    13. Ol' 55 (Excellent Tom Waits cover, but Waits is a widely respected songwriter so I can't truly consider it an underrated song as such)
    14. James Dean (Really good, immensely enjoyable rocker but is on the same album as the better but less widely known GDIH so not especially underrated).

Some of the band’s weaker songs therefore they aren’t underrated
    15. Most of Us Are Sad (I like it - it's charming with a lovely country rock ballad sound, but it's definitely the weakest of the songs in the game)

My list takes into account the three groups of songs so some of the songs lower down the list may actually be better than those above them (for instance, The Last Resort is one of my all time favourites and I certainly rate it substantially higher than Too Many Hands, yet the latter is more underrated so is further up my list). As you can see I happen to think most of the songs in the game are both great and underrated! When I first saw the list I was very happy as I felt almost all of the songs belonged in an underrated songs list.

If I was to include the bonus songs on BBKron's list, I would put Certain Kind Of Fool, Journey of the Sorcerer, TLHTM and Twenty-One among the really good underrated songs in that order whereas I personally consider Tryin' and Nightingale to be among their weaker songs (although 'weaker' and not the more dismissive 'weak'), perhaps a bit harshly in the case of Tryin'. If I was to have a cut off point between the great songs and the really good songs on the underrated list, it would include LROOE amongst the former and Bitter Creek in the latter group. The Last Resort would definitely also be in any group of great songs from the really good but not underrated list, as would possibly Those Shoes. The remaining three from that group are definitely in the right category as far as I'm concerned.

Banned

I really don't know how anybody can judge how much respect a song gets or deserves. Surely it's just a matter of opinion and it's an evolving rather than straight answer.

How do you work out how much respect a track deserves?

I'm taking this too seriously aren't I

Just a bit of fun.

Could do a Song Survivor of Eagles tracks written by a single songwriter, That's clinical... unless it's been done already

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I really don't know how anybody can judge how much respect a song gets or deserves. Surely it's just a matter of opinion and it's an evolving rather than straight answer.

How do you work out how much respect a track deserves?

I'm taking this too seriously aren't I

Just a bit of fun.

Could do a Song Survivor of Eagles tracks written by a single songwriter, That's clinical... unless it's been done already
    Well, these are the tracks written by one songwriter (both Eagles & non-Eagles):

Chug All Night (Frey)
    Most Of Us Are Sad (Frey)
    Nightingale (Browne)
    Take The Devil (Meisner)
    Peaceful Easy Feeling (Tempchin)
    Tryin' (Meisner)
    Get You In The Mood (Frey)
    Twenty-One (Leadon)
    Outlaw Man (Blue)
    Bitter Creek (Leadon)
    Midnight Flyer (Craft)
    My Man (Leadon)
    Ol '55 ( Waits)
    Is It True (Meisner)
    Journey Of The Sorcerer (Leadon)
    Try And Love Again (Meisner)
    Seven Bridges Road (Young)
    How Long (Souther)
    I Don't Want To Hear Any More (Carrack)
    No More Cloudy Days (Frey)
    You Are Not Alone (Frey)
    I Dreamed There Was No War (Frey)
    I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (McNally)

It's up to Soda & Dreamer to decide if this would be worth doing.

Banned

Thanks for the list Freypower.

There's a surprising number of Frey tracks on that list. I don't think his solo albums have that many songs written unaided.

I'm wondering now, has Glenn written more songs with Tempchin than he has with Henley?

I think it's a bit too soon to be considering another Song Survivor. I'm still pondering on the Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise triumph.

Whatever Soda and Dreamer do is fine by me.

Border Troubadour

I'll throw my suggestion back into the ring here of a Farewell 1 Survivor, in honour of its tenth birthday [of release] in June.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

What a great idea TLR! I suppose we could take the songs one by one as they are performed on the DVD. Would we vote for the best performance or the best song (Or is there a difference)?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    What a great idea TLR! I suppose we could take the songs one by one as they are performed on the DVD. Would we vote for the best performance or the best song (Or is there a difference)?
    I personally would base it on DVD performance since I think there are some belting performances on there, and some more average ones, but just so long as the DVD performance plays a key part in it I don't really mind how people vote *. I did think of doing double nominations (and consequently double eliminations) in order to avoid it dragging on for about 2 months, but I can imagine the admin for that would be horrible

* - For example, if someone likes two performances equally, but chooses to save one song as they prefer it, that's fine; but if they just vote to save their favourite song regardless of how it is performed then I'm not too keen on that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    It would be performance just as the HFO one was based on performance.