Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Default Re: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Too Many Hands

I agree with Soda that Too Many Hands actually is a nifty little song that does tend to get overlooked (one of the better OOTN songs yet rarely talked about), so it definitely does deserve its status as an underrated Eagles song.

However, it still is a bit weaker than most of the other songs left in the game, so it's not surprising that it is on the verge of being eliminated this round (and I won't be bothered much if it is eliminated). But I will support its underratedness and stand up for this song by not voting for it this round.

Instead, I will vote for a song that I would consider less underrated. And that would be Pretty Maids All in a Row. Although I really like this song, and it is probably a better song overall than TMH, I don't really think that it is all that underrated.

First, no songs on Hotel California can really be considered very underrated. As part of one of the most popular and iconic rock albums of all-time, they are all well-known, played alot, and enjoyed immensely (there being no weak tracks on the album). Second, it is generally considered by many to be Joe's best and most well-known song with the Eagles (not counting his own solo tracks). Overall, it is a very popular track (both live and studio versions). Thus, although a great song, to me, this is a much less underrated song than most of the others here in this game.

Thus, I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All in a Row.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I vote for Too Many Hands
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

I vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row for the reasons BBKron gave.

The fact that no one except me has voted for Desperado/Droolin' Dalton tells me it's overrated. My vote is for Desperado/Doolin' Dalton.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Right now it seems highly likely that Too Many Hands will be the next song to be eliminated from this game - this is a shame in view, as I think it is genuinely underrated and I really like this song in general.

In response to BBKron's comments, the more I think about, Try And Love Again is probably the most underrated song from Hotel California (if there are any) - I've always loved it, in fact I've loved it from the moment I heard the intro chords, but unlike the other songs on the album it was rarely played live and given that Randy left the band the following year it is perhaps more easily overlooked than the others. The first three songs speak for themselves, all being such big songs, while VOL has received its share of radio play and is reasonably popular and the others were all highlighted by Hell Freezes Over (indeed, I think the HFO performance of PMAIAR edges the original recording, as fine as it is).

I will vote to eliminate Ol' 55 in this round. I think the Eagles cover is excellent, combining as it does some great vocals from Glenn and Don with the beautiful combination of pedal steel and piano which provides a new take on the song and elevates it from being a fairly standard cover, but I'm not sure that Ol' 55 as a song is as underrated given that it was recorded only the year before by Tom Waits, an excellent and respected songwriter, and I'd rather see underrated songs penned by the Eagles themselves go the distance.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    The fact that no one except me has voted for Desperado/Droolin' Dalton tells me it's overrated. My vote is for Desperado/Doolin' Dalton.
    MV, can I ask why you think it's overrated? If you look back to the reviews of the first few shows, the reporters doing the reviews didn't recognize it or know what to call it. Sounds pretty underrated to me! Anyway, I love love love the song, and I certainly never thought much about the song either way until I heard them do it live on the HOTE tour.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I guess I have a different take on this than MV does. The fact that the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise hasn't been getting any other votes so far makes me think that the voters in the game feel it is indeed underrated. I know I do. I also agree with VA that the song i was/is hardly recognized outside of the hardcore fandom. I personally think it is an exceptional song that is very under-appreciated and underrated, and I'm rooting for it to finish very high in this game.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

I initially thought the idea of an Underrated Eagles Song Survivor was a bit screwy but it's been a revelation. I can't believe I've just spent a couple of days considering the attributes of Too Many Hands!

Funny to hear Randy saying it could be a future classic, as Glenn once described, The Girl From Yesterday. Granted, it was ahead of it's time with it's friends of the earth lyrics but it's a 2nd division Eagles song if not a 3rd.

I vote again for Too Many Hands.

I vote for Too Many Hands.

I've listened to it a few times over the past couple of days and its an OK song for background music but IMO not an underrated song
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"