Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

When I was a new fan, I read To the Limit in order to find out more about these guys (whenever I get into something, I always try to find out as much as possible). I wasn't really surprised by anything in it, though. The Eagles did have a reputation, known even to me.

One thing I remember being confused about in a book was a mention of the Eagles "infamous baseball game" and no more detail than that. I was like "Huh? What happened to make a baseball game infamous?" It was not so infamous that I had heard of it, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Brooke-- very well stated here!! Lots of people, when younger, did a lot of things that we wouldn't think about doing as we get older. Multiply that by the fact that you are a Rock God and people are willing to give you all the drugs, sex and anything else you desire in excess-and we can all just imagine the life they may have led. I know I am not proud of some of the things I did in my 20's (no drugs were involved at least). At least mine has never been put down in written form for millions to read about.

I will say, your post has made me decide that I am going to pull out To The Limit next and get at it. I can't wait to read about the sex parts.

Thanks FP--I was thinking the Laura Jackson book was just called The Eagles. I guess I should of pulled it out and checked it before posting.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've learned since reading all of these books that the late 60's and 70's were definitely an "era". Everyone who wanted to make music went to California. It was "the" place to be. And they thought they were going to change the world with all the peace and love! And they did in the music world. It's all become very clear. It's no longer "fuzzy"!

And you're right, tbf, we've all done things we're not proud of. At least our lives aren't in print for all the world to read about!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

To me I think that 'Flying High' was probably the most objective and called things as they were. 'To The Limit' was more detailed and also gave a deeper insight into the R&R world that the Eagles joined as individuals in the late sixties and very early 70's (God I was in Diapers then). However from the start I felt that it was very much biased in favour of Don over Glenn , both in the way that Don got far more personal coverage and that it was far more favourable to him. Eliot seems to take a stab at Glenn when and where ever he can. JMHO of course.

As regards the decadent behaviour, I suppose this was the decade that everyone was 'at it'. In the circles in which they moved it was the norm. In a way it was the pre Aids and 'safe sex' era. It was also before the long term side effects of pleasure enhancing drugs were documented. They worked hard and played hard. And as TBSF said, we've all done things we aren't proud to admit now!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

As Maya Angelo said, "I did what I knew. When I knew better, I did better."

Thank goodness that seems to be true for most people.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Thought some of you would appreciate this- I said yesterday that I would be starting To The Limit after I finished the book I was reading. Well I started it last night and have it setting on the kitchen table. My daughter this evening picked it up while I was doing the dishes and brought it over to me and pointed to the cover and asked who is this, it was Glenn, she says, and I quote, "he sure was hot!".

Stuck on the Border

He WAS hot?!!

Your cover must be different from mine, which has a very cheap image of a pair of jeans with an Eagles belt buckle.

I have that one also but the one I am reading is the newer copy with them standing, setting and kneeling next to an old car.

Stuck on the Border

Oh yes, now I remember. That is a particularly nice photo of Glenn from that era.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've got the same one as TBF. I think its a newer one because it goes right up to the F1 tours of 2005.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP