Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Song power or what?

Banned

Default Re: Song power or what?

From memory;

Cher has performed Take It To The Limit and Those Shoes.
    Tom Jones has murdered Take It To The Limit.
    The Killers and The Gypsy Kings of course have performed Hotel California.
    Stereophonics have a faithful version of The Last Resort on the b-side of one of thier singles.
    Similarly Richard Marx released a live cover of Take It To the Limit, with an awful 80s guitar solo but the added bonus of Meisner and Schmit both helping out on vocals.
    I'm pretty sure Richard also did a live performance of Dirty Laundry with celebrity news readers doing the vocals.
    Journey Of The Sorcerer was adopted as the theme tune for the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Radio, TV and film adaptations. I think it was rerecorded at some point or two.

Solo wise there are a striking number of low grade South Pacific covers of Glenn's (plus the Eagles twice) Lover's Moon on YouTube.

Joe's main tunes are;
    Rocky Mountain Way (Ozzy Osborne and Michael Bolton (Bolotin) are unforgettable),
    Funk #49 (Van Halen & The Black Keys, Puddle Of Mudd)
    Collage (Hedge & Donna, Golden Earring, Howling Rain, Adam Green And Binky Shapiro & The Three Degrees )

I reckon Hedge & Donna's Collage is the first Walsh song I ever heard, many years before I heard The James Gang original. Even before I discovered Walsh. It's so obscure I haven't a clue how I heard it or how I remembered it.
    I think Joe's only performed Collage a couple of times during James Gang reunion shows.
    There's a few others. There may be enough for a Joe Walsh tribute album.

Timothy's, Tell Me What You Dream was an sizable 80s hit for Restless Heart. Judie Tzuke covered Tim's (Poco) I Can See Everything.

Henley's been covered by Ataris, DJ Sammy & Show Of Hands (Boys Of Summer), India Arie (Heart Of The Matter) and Lisa Marie Presley (Dirty Laundry). I'm sure there are others.

I'm not aware of any covers of the other three, but Felder's been known to do a few Eagles covers in his live set list.

Stuck on the Border

This is the original topic on Eagles covers:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=213

However most of the discussion in the thread is about Keith Urban who once covered TITTL.

Neil Diamond covered Desperado not that long ago on his Dreams album but I wasn't interested in hearing it, although I love Neil Diamond.

Banned

From that topic it looks like Tom Jones murdered a second Eagles song besides Take It To The Limit.

Sticking to tunes that suit your voice is another ingredient of the Eagles outstanding success.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Some of the songs have had a lot of people cover them, even if they're people we never heard of. I should look and see what popular songs from other artists were covered a lot and compare. This topic is, after all, about the quality of songs, presumably compared to others who haven't lasted 40+ years.

I agree, F50, they stuck with songs they could do and do well with the talent and voices they had available. It's what I meant by them sticking to what they do best and making sure those they got in later could not only fit in as well, but take them further.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Back to UTW's original question, when I think of song power, I think of every aspect of a song ... the lyrics, the music, the vocals, the harmonies, the melody, the arrangement, and, yes, even the live performances. For me, it's the combination of all these components that make a song what it is. In the case of the Eagles, most of the time these components blended together beautifully to produce awesome songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

There's also the nostalgia.
    I began to understand the connectivity between music and memory and nostalgia, and about how the amygdala (the brain’s memory center) can process chords and beats and rhythms and measures and create pleasure with recollections so thick you nearly choke on them.
    http://www.sanfordherald.com/opinion...w-I-understand

Although that doesn't explain why I don't feel the same about some of their contempories.