Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles books

I had to smile at Rand's extremely concise songwriting goals though, all four of which centered on cultivating contacts and relationships. It's ALL about who you know, he argues.

The Glenn anecdotes were snarky and a tad bitter. That's fine but I don't know if it would be worthwhile to wade through a whole book of that tone.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I've never heard of him, and therefore I was unaware of any rivalry with Glenn, so what he had to say didn't mean anything to me.
    That's what I liked. It's the other side of "I don't know why fortune smiles on some and let's the rest go free." There's this guy hanging out at the Troubadour, young, ambitious, talented and yet he doesn't make it big. The rivalry fits with other descriptions of the Troubadour scene and brings it to life and at that stage of their lives, they had no idea who would make it. I don't care that his stories aren't that flattering - he's putting down a rival and his tone is that of a cocky, young man.

The advice about networking certainly seems to hold true for many of those 70s California-based songwriters. Jack Tempchin's meeting with Glenn & JD, led to the Eagles recording "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and with that Jack's songwriting career began. I believe his advice in one interview was for a songwriter to make friends with some musicians who were just about to break out.

It's certainly wise advice. It made me smile because it's so unusually honest and straightforward. The many books and articles I've read on songwriting focus on the craft and the business aspect, almost never the social aspect. Maybe the importance of networking is so obvious to most people that it doesn't bear mentioning, but I confess I'm not one of those people I needed to have it spelled out and then I was able to see it.

I still hope Glenn writes that book on songwriting that he said he wanted to do some years ago - that would be gold.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Has anyone read any of Rand Bishop's books on songwriting? It seems he hung out at the Troubadour and his books include anecdotes about that time, including tales of one-upmanship from his rivalry with Glenn.

Google books allows you to read a sample from one of the books with Eagles/Frey anecdotes on pages 112-114.
    Thanks for that link! I love to read these little stories.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I just ordered the book Canyon of Dreams from Barnes and Noble. Amazon surprisingly was sold out. It depicts the famous people that lived in Laurel Canyon during the 70's. Henry Diltz has photography in it. The Eagles are suppose to be featured in it. It is in paperback and hardcover. I got the paperback not very expensive. Hope it's good. I'll report back.
    DJ, I looked at that one on Barnes and Noble and thought it looked pretty good. Let me know what you think of it

I just saw this book...wondering if anyone has read it?...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

First I've heard of it. Looks like Amazon released it on Feb. 1. The paperback is $20.65! I'm betting it has $0.50 of information I don't already know, and $8.65 of information that's not right, and $7.20 of opinions I don't agree with.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I just saw this book...wondering if anyone has read it?...

I ordered this book last June from Amazon and they just sent me an update Monday that said it is being sent out and I should have it by Saturday. It is probably like VA said but I will let y'all know. Amazon did give me a discount since it has taken so long.

Stuck on the Border

There's a preview of the book here which has the contents list and introduction. It goes right up to and including the HotE tour.

That looks pretty cool! The title of chapter 40 made me laugh aloud, "Don Henley Must Die: Eagles Love, Eagles Hate."