Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reason behind no Henley/Frey solo material on history of eagles

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Reason behind no Henley/Frey solo material on history of eagles

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    ... but it really helps brings the whole thing alive to have them all playing as one - the outro to Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise for one is amazing when you have eight vocals all combining together into the longing, pining finale.
    Yes Yes Yes!! Simply amazing!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I've gotta say that I wouldn't want to go through most of the show with any of the current lineup missing. After all Joe and Timothy have been Eagles since 1975 and 1977, respectively so they have earned their spot on the stage. I love the way the HOTE tour is arranged and there is actually very little I would change about it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Indeed - the only thing I would change would be to drop LWKUA for Get Over It, and move that later into the set, so you keep the chronological order going as well as reviving one of their most underrated songs. I know TBS would then be down to just one lead, but LWKUA really does nothing for me.

If only they could keep them both... I miss "Get Over It." The only time I ever got to hear it live in person was at a Glenn Frey solo appearance. His son Deacon sang lead. It was cool but I'd love to hear the Eagles do it.

I also miss "Seven Bridges Road" and I am disappointed by the neglect of Long Road Out of Eden, but you can't have everything.

As I've said before, though, no solo songs at an Eagles concert is fine with me, even though the solo material is certainly high quality.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

It's been a compromise between a history lesson and an entertainment show. It's undoubtedly been an unqualified success but I'm hoping their next project will be better. Less history, more entertainment.

I don't mind how much solo material they play. The band tend to have more fun playing the solo tracks, maybe too reverential to the Eagles material but after Heartache Tonight maybe they'll loose up a few more numbers.

I kinda hope trend for playing identical set lists dies out and bands start taking a few chances again. I realise it's harder to switch a set list with 4 lead singers but it'd give them something to talk about during the 20 hours a day they're commuting.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 12-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Border Desperado

From the way the documentary leans and reading Don Fs book, I don't think they see much of each other when they aren't on stage, or arriving/leaving the venue.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've loved HOTE and would be quite happy to see it continue, but I suppose in real terms the Band will change the format at some stage. Its encouraging to hear F50 that there may be another project after this one. i'd be happy with anything they would produce, solo or group.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    From the way the documentary leans and reading Don Fs book, I don't think they see much of each other when they aren't on stage, or arriving/leaving the venue.
    I recently listened to an extended interview with Stan Laurel. He said, until they toured Europe together, late in their careers, Stan and Ollie only had a working relationship. He gave that as a reason for their huge success.

You can have a great working relationship without being bosom buddies.

I'm not so sure about another grand Eagles project, Glennsallnighter. Solo projects sure but from memory, Joe had to publicly push for an end to the LROOE tour and the creation of a new show, announcing the return of Bernie long before it was officially confirmed.

I'm not sure if Joe would repeat that rebelliousness, especially if it'd do Bernie out of a job.

I just wonder though, if there's still a chance that Randy could return. There was that one show http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles...-33c58891.html where they played the extra encore of Seven Bridges Road and How Long, that looked like it could've been set up for Randy. Maybe they gave him every chance to show but ultimately he didn't show. It must've been a terrifying offer.

It'd definitely be a great way to end The History Of The Eagles tour now though..

I think the announcement of the release date of Don's, Cass County album will signal the end of the HOTE tour. It'll be good to be looking forwards again.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I just wonder though, if there's still a chance that Randy could return. There was that one show http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles...-33c58891.html where they played the extra encore of Seven Bridges Road and How Long, that looked like it could've been set up for Randy. Maybe they gave him every chance to show but ultimately he didn't show. It must've been a terrifying offer.
    Yep - that was definitely the L.A. Forum opening show in January of this year that they added those two extra songs. Several of us Borderers were at that show. Speaking for myself, I thought that if ever Randy were going to make an appearance, this would have been the perfect opportunity, But, it was not to be - not even a callout from the audience, so I assumed he was not there at all. Then, we thought maybe he would appear at at one of the other shows, but, again, nothing. I guess we just need to continue to hold out hope that it will happen eventually.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

F50, I wouldn't call what they were doing before HOTE to be part of the LROOE tour. I wouldn't even call it a tour. In 2011, at least, and all of 2012, and the one show they did in 2013 before HOTE were all the shortened setlist with one song from LROOE in the setlist (How Long). At the time, I assumed they did the few shows they did in order to keep the name out there, and to keep the musicians employed.

I doubt that 'Joe had to publicly push for an end to the LROOE tour'. I've read or listened to every interview he did, and I can't recall such a thing. He said in 2011 and early 2012 that there would be a 40th anniversary tour, and there wasn't. Once they knew the timeline on the HOTE DVD, it was all planned. Joe did mention Bernie would be in the HOTE tour lineup, but one of the others, either Timothy or Don did as well and at around the same time. It's listed in these threads somewhere, but I haven't the time to go back and refresh my memory.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.