Page 115 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1153

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

I think Randy said that Don brought the track to him first, so it could have been another Felder-Meisner song.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm just thinking, how different life would have been for Felder, if he had to write the words to Hotel California himself. I'm guessing that there isn't much, in Heaven And Hell, about his education.
    Wonder how it would have faired if Don Henley had used the HC lyrics with another tune, and minus the guitar intros and exits?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    Wonder how it would have faired if Don Henley had used the HC lyrics with another tune, and minus the guitar intros and exits?
    There is no way of knowing but I believe the song would still have been a huge hit, because the lyrics written by Henley and Frey were so memorable.

Border Desperado

Well, fortunately, music met lyrics and vice versa. Just another example of the 5 (or actually 7) of them being bigger than any of the individuals.

I think Felder got screwed. They went super-league thanks to him, who brought a variety of music, and the best guitarist they ever had.... Joe Walsh gets credit from average fans I read outside of here, but I'd take any Eagles guitarist over Joe... Heck, Glenn's solo on "I Can't Tell You Why" is better than any solo Joe ever did in his life.. And Joe can't sing in a band where EVERYONE is a great singer.. He got attention for doing childish things, which must have appealed to Glenn and Don's insecurities.

"Do I look at you or the camera?"

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I think Felder got screwed. They went super-league thanks to him, who brought a variety of music, and the best guitarist they ever had.... Joe Walsh gets credit from average fans I read outside of here, but I'd take any Eagles guitarist over Joe... Heck, Glenn's solo on "I Can't Tell You Why" is better than any solo Joe ever did in his life.. And Joe can't sing in a band where EVERYONE is a great singer.. He got attention for doing childish things, which must have appealed to Glenn and Don's insecurities.

Ummm excuse me?! You can praise DF without bashing Joe. Quite frankly, he was as great of an addition as DF was, and he is on their biggest selling song of all time and widely regarded to be their best album...

It's one thing to have a preference, and it's another to unfairly drag someone through the mud simply because you don't like them.

Me personally, I'll take a from-the-heart bluesy raw player over a technician any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I like Felder, a lot actually. But I will always prefer Joe's style. And that's fine. Glenn was a great guitarist also. I'm not a Bernie Leadon fan personally but I won't deny his input and talent.

I'm sorry, but I think you are being very rude to Joe and his fans with your comments and I feel like you could have chosen your words more wisely.

"Average fans?". Come on MSF, that's so lame... There are PLENTY of Eagles diehards that respect and love Joe for what wonderful things he brought to the band and his sheer talent. Joe is just as talented as the rest of the Eagles guitarists, without a doubt.

You can be upset at Felder's leaving without bringing others through the muck that had nothing to do with it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post

I totally disagree MortSahlFan. Joe was a highly regarded rock guitarist even before Eagles were formed. Pete Townsend, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page are more than "average fans" Joe joined the Eagles after working extensively or maybe intensively, with them while producing Dan Fogelberg's Souvenir album. I could go on but the thread is about Felder's book, "Heaven And Hell".

Joe is putting together his own autobiography. I'm sure his craziness will be well documented but I expect most of it to be about the multitude of brilliant artists and icons that he's encountered during his lengthy and varied career as a musician. Hopefully Felder will feature in a chapter or two.

Border Troubadour

MSF must be the only person in western civilisation who dislikes Joe Walsh. Even those who detest the Eagles' very existence seem to quite like Joe. All four Eagles guitarists were different: Glenn permanently sold himself short but was a solid rhythm guitarist and had a good solo / lead in him; Bernie was an exceptional country rock / folk / bluegrass player who I think drove their early sound more than people credit him for; Felder could play note for note with infinite accuracy any guitar tab going; Joe was the master improv lead who also featured a lot as a rhythm guitarist for them in the 1970s before Glenn became allergic to playing piano *, and remains one of the best rock guitarists America has ever produced. I do think he relied a bit too much on the 'Silly Joe' image back in the late 70s to early 90s, but listen to his talkbox solo on RMW, riff and lead work on LITFL or his blistering solo on LROOE. The man's supremely talented.

* Yes, I am aware arthritis is primarily what precluded him playing as time went on.

Thank you WF88, Funk 50 & tlr. I had the same reaction, but you gave much more educated rebuttals than I could.

"Thank the Lord for Joe Walsh."

--Don Felder, Heaven and Hell, p. 179

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...